Coral Vue Hydros

Low maintenance corals

MFChop

Yes I know "low maintenance" and coral dont go together, but im looking for suggestions on coral for my Fluval Edge. These will be my first corals ever, I plan on buying some frags next monday.

Oh and anything that will make my purple fire fish happy lol

added pic of my tank

Edited by MFChop
TheUnfocusedOne
Yes I know "low maintenance" and coral dont go together, but im looking for suggestions on coral for my Fluval Edge. These will be my first corals ever, I plan on buying some frags next monday.

Zoas and mushrooms.

Ricordias, GSP, Zoas, Mushrooms, Kenya tree

^Water changes would be a cinch, just flush and have premade water in the toilet resevoir.

:P

As far as a care free coral, GSP. I like the stuff, it does grow quick though.

Edited by Neophyte
LPS

Not all LPS corals are beginner friendly though...

Note that there is more than just maintenance to consider. Usually when someone suggests a beginner coral it's because they tolerate more water quality fluctuations, they grow quick, look nice, and aren't aggressive.

Before you buy a coral, just make sure you know how fast it grows, how aggressive it is, it's lighting, flow, and any additional food requirements. Many LPS corals are very aggressive and can wipe out entire colonies of less aggressive corals in just a few hours! I had a scolymia coral that digested a soft coral situated about 3" away overnight. I actually have a picture of it, it's pretty neat.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=200698&hl=

Edited by ajmckay
Aiptasia..

every newbs dream come true when they first start... *snicker*

At any rate yea, the basically said the majority.. softies - Xenia has not done well in either of my tanks im assuming the flow is too much on it in my tank.. plus my clown likes to beat it up and whatnot.

What kind of lighting do you have in your edge? the gsp, xenia, kenya, mushroom any of these would do great.

I have a Fluval Edge and I have the following corals in my tank.

GSP (Green Star Polyps)

Zoanthids

Florida Orange Ricordea

Duncan Coral

Grape Coral (E. Cristata)

I feed unfrozen mysis shrimp to the duncan 3-4 times a week and I feed the Grape Coral Phyaeto until he gets a bit larger and can take mysis. Zoanthids and GSP are definitely the way to go but I have heard that GSP grow like weeds so you may want to get them last so they don't conquer the tank before you can get anything else in.

every newbs dream come true when they first start... *snicker*

At any rate yea, the basically said the majority.. softies - Xenia has not done well in either of my tanks im assuming the flow is too much on it in my tank.. plus my clown likes to beat it up and whatnot.

What kind of lighting do you have in your edge? the gsp, xenia, kenya, mushroom any of these would do great.

I have a DIY 2:1 RB to NW total of nine on a DIM4

Xenia, and GSP can be some of the highest maintainance coral. You actually have to go into the tank and keep this stuff trimmed back if you dont want it to overrun your tank. Love my xenia tank and GSP has been added to it but the xenia in a not so easy to access tank like the edge... it would be a nightmare.

GSP would be ok if secluded on a rock away from the rest. otherwise I'd stick with zoas and pallys. A duncan for the look and perhaps an acan later down the road. If you don't mind one coral taking over a tank then xenia really can be nice. It is still one of my favorite corals I have a 12 gallon tank completely full of it with a large aiptasia in the middle. some small mojanos scattered. Other corals like GSP, Acans, Ricordias at the bottom.

• 7 years later...