Pod Your Reef

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

Update:

Removed the yucky return tubing, replaced with new :) and cleaned out the yuck in the L joint also. So far so good with that. I placed some PTFE sealing tape around the end of the L joint into the back of the powerhead and this has removed some of the air seepage.

So far it has corrected some of the microbubble issue, but now it is intermittently spitting them out :angry: and I also removed the Tunze just to make sure it was one and not the other.

So now I am questioning the pump. Is it slowly failing?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update:

Removed the yucky return tubing, replaced with new :) and cleaned out the yuck in the L joint also. So far so good with that. I placed some PTFE sealing tape around the end of the L joint into the back of the powerhead and this has removed some of the air seepage.

So far it has corrected some of the microbubble issue, but now it is intermittently spitting them out :angry: and I also removed the Tunze just to make sure it was one and not the other.

So now I am questioning the pump. Is it slowly failing?

It's sucking air somewhere......

Sounds like it is the connection with the tube and the pump..... Ummmm did you make sure there are no air bubbles caught in the pump? I know my Canister will do that for a few minutes until the trapped air all works its way out.

surgicalsense
It's sucking air somewhere......

Sounds like it is the connection with the tube and the pump..... Ummmm did you make sure there are no air bubbles caught in the pump? I know my Canister will do that for a few minutes until the trapped air all works its way out.

Yes and it could be bubbles/air pocket in the pump?

Yes and it could be bubbles/air pocket in the pump?

Any time I take my canister offline and empty it, I have bubble storm for 5 minutes and then intermittently unless I sit there and hit it/shift it around a bit.

IDK try tapping it a little with your finger, see if you get a burst of bubbles, would mean you have an air pocket in there it is just getting bits of once in a while.

surgicalsense

Still some bubbles -_- ... no worries, least it is not as bad as it was. I am wondering if I should put the skimmer back in.

I also broke the latches on my hood :P ... design flaw. I always lean my hood against the wall. But I must of moved it wrong and the leg thing snapped :huh: Still works fine, I just need to open it with more care.

hmmm...I have no idea where they could be coming from - unless you have a waterfall in your back chambers... :(. Pump could be sowly failing - but that doesn't have anything to do with the microbubbles as the air has to come from somewhere

I have some bubbles in mine from my skimmer.

I know once I get the SUMP plumbed and the skimmer in there I will be bubble free. IDK I would say you have air getting sucked in somewhere and since it got better with the new tubing to the pump I would assume the pump has an air siphon somewhere else.

Wow I sound kind of smart when I have a few drinks in me...... very strange.......

surgicalsense

Only because I watch the game... Sweet baby mother monkeys uncle, they took it back, ran it and touch down under 10 seconds. I would rather see the 49ers make it to the playoffs rather then the Saints :lol:

surgicalsense
Totally putting that in my sig! :lol:

:lol: thanks ... honored :lol:

Okay on another tank note. I put the skimmer back in. The microbubbles are just insane now. I unplugged it.

Took the skimmer back out, now I am frustrated. Microbubbles are back in full force also.

:lol: thanks ... honored :lol:

Okay on another tank note. I put the skimmer back in. The microbubbles are just insane now. I unplugged it.

HA mine hates when I do WC and when I add food, I get super bubbles!

surgicalsense

I have done some more trouble shooting and reading in past threads. I have only corrected 50% of the issue and now the powerhead is more like spitting them out and I removed my skimmer :(

surgicalsense

:):D:):D:)

I fixed it .... I did it. However I would not of been able to figure this out with out the assistance of the NR peeps who tried to help and answer my questions :grouphug: ... also the old threads I looked up and read :) little bits from everyone helped.

Thank you.

... and Yes for NE! I knew they would get their swagger back. Just wasn't sure when B)

surgicalsense

Q:

Today's params

Ca 480 ppm

Kh 214 dkm = 12

Po 0

No 0

I will be placing the skimmer back in Ch.2 as Decko advised me.

Should I skip a water change as routinely scheduled for today?

surgicalsense
I don't see why you would need to change your water with those params. You can let it slide I think. :)

Thank you ... I just placed the skimmer back in. Have a few microbubble again, but that is an easy fix now. It is just hard to see because my lights are still off. Once on I will know where to place the sponge that is now placed in front of the pump inlet that is buffering/blocking these bubbles from going into the pump :)

I was getting the microbubbles from the water fall from Ch.2 ... so I found a thread in one of the past forums that talked about this (another rule out) and I tried it and it worked successfully :happy:

Also I will be taking new FTS with the new corals... I still have to place a few still.

Nice, glad you got the micro bubbles figured out. :) I know they are frustrating. Can we get some pictures? :flower:

Your edit beat me to it :D look forward to the new shots.

surgicalsense
Nice, glad you got the micro bubbles figured out. :) I know they are frustrating. Can we get some pictures? :flower:

Your edit beat me to it :D look forward to the new shots.

Absolutely :D

So what was the fix???? Where were they coming from?

PICS PICS.

On a side note.... my little purple zoas with orange mouths are all PO today for no reason, all the other zoas are fine.

No marks etc on them, and i can't dip them as they have attached to a rock now and I don't want to rip polyps off of them. I guess I will just watch them for now, they seem to be opening more but very slowly.

surgicalsense
So what was the fix???? Where were they coming from?

PICS PICS.

On a side note.... my little purple zoas with orange mouths are all PO today for no reason, all the other zoas are fine.

No marks etc on them, and i can't dip them as they have attached to a rock now and I don't want to rip polyps off of them. I guess I will just watch them for now, they seem to be opening more but very slowly.

I will later this afternoon once I am doing placing the new corals :)

Even though I did not have to change the tubing from the pump to the return it was worth it, because the original one that come with the pump was really gross. Plus the new one is clear so I can see what is going on with the water flow in the return tubing.

The waterfall that comes from Ch.2 into Ch.3 is what was the culprit. Bubbles are formed from the waterfall which is a natural occurrence but they were instantly sucked into the pump and then they get broken up and spit out through the return/powerhead = eye soar :P ... I found a old thread last night in the AIO/Microbubble topics and questions and someone suggested that it could be the waterfall and to place filter floss to soften impact of the waterfall and breaking up the bubbles.

I placed a small filter sponge I have there instead. It is doing the trick I still have to do some minor adjustments because I am still getting 5% microbubbles. But that is not a big deal.

I hope your zoa opened. Maybe their mood will pass. I have a one zoa out of each new cluster I have doing the same thing in a away. I hope that isn't going to turn into them being ill. Moody corals suck.

How come? The space with your new lights?

I don't use the plastic protector for the lights which they were attached to. I think. Something like that. I just know I don't have them anymore and I miss them :lol:

Nice! So it was even more simple then we all thought! LMAO I know nothing about the AIO tanks so glad you found your issue!

Yeah amost all of the polyps are okay, only about 4 that look PO and are only barely open..... whatever it's the purple ones on the sand bed, all the others are fine and open so IDK.

Oh I like your new Title for this baby as well! ;)

Archived