Pod Your Reef

EZ's JBJ 28

Ezsharkman

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy crap! Very cool vids of the mantis!!!! thanks

Thanks Spiro.. i watched them twice. When the big boys battle in part 2 "i think" is awesome!

Eric, this thread needs more beautiful pictures.

thanks Kat... i was just thinking about shooting some more today.=)

on a side note.

My EcoPico is coming today and i am very excited. I will be starting a new thread with unboxing photos n stuff... i kinda want to jump right in... but i think i will be trying to make a crazy and well planned out scape with epoxy, acrylic rods and cool stuff like that. i just get excited and want wet water in it asap

My pistol shrimp decided to explore the tank last night and leave the safety of the burrow. My goby swam right above him wherever he went, almost laying on top the shrimp to protect him. It was very cool to see how much love and protection the goby gives his little buddy. You may say that it's not love... but to me it is =)

Try and have fun with the scape. My LFS guy wants me to make some sculptures for his new 250. I hope I don't F it up!

Got any tips for me on how you did your scape. I love yours and am thinking about doing something similar. i also like what mr microscope is planning to do with his

this is his inspiration John Ciotti's Upside Down Reef

way cool

7.jpg

Superglue gel, expoxy that will cure wet, and patience. :lol:

I used a PVC support but I'm not sure if the upside down scape could benefit from it.

I also used GE1 Silicone to hold together dry pieces, but keep in mind it needs 24 hours to become safe for water.

Superglue gel, expoxy that will cure wet, and patience. :lol:

I used a PVC support but I'm not sure if the upside down scape could benefit from it.

I also used GE1 Silicone to hold together dry pieces, but keep in mind it needs 24 hours to become safe for water.

Thanks joel =)

did you have to drill into the rock to add the pvc?

edit... EZ had a brain fart... i know the answer to my own ? ...duh

I want a nice quality glass pico like what you're getting. But I don't want the extra work :) I'll enjoy watching your build!!!!

Thanks gena =) :P

Ahem. cough cough. Did you see the first couple of posts on my BC14 thread?

You want to drill for acrylic or fiberglass rods, not pvc. The thinnest PVC is about 1 inch diameter, you can't drill one inch holes in live rock.

Thanks Kat :D

i always get sent to the most recent.. you know, like page 25 when i look at your tank. i forgot about the 500 earlier posts =)

I love that scape! Its perfect for having a few Non-photo corals because the top head is so big not allowing enough light below.

I'm really suprised that more reefers don't try a sculpture in stead of just piling a bunch of unsecured rocks on top of each other.

Any way, my goal for light loving corals is to start off with a good rock for the base with the smallest foot print possible just enough to keep the structure stable. When you build the "arms/branches" look at the structure from the top down to ensure that there is little or no shadowing from above.

Start with some idea/goal in mind, but if your structure starts to take off in a different direction go with it!

I do use fiberglass rods and epoxy to secure the bigger pieces for the backbone. For the smaller pieces I just use the epoxy and ac glue.

I use HD/Lowes Locktite brand epoxy and the thin ac glue. If you can find some zipkicker even better because it causes the ac glue to dry instantly when you need it.

To keep the structure strong I'll first tack pieces together with the ac first, then use the putty for a good joint. When the putty dries, I drip more ac glue in the space between the putty and the rock. This makes for a strong bond so the the rock will usually break before the joint.

If the putty is in a place where it is visible, I'll give it some "texture" with the back end of a small paintbrush.

Hope that makes sense and helps! Let me know if you need any more help or advice. I thought it would be years before I could help anyone!

Thanks joel =)

did you have to drill into the rock to add the pvc?

Nope, chuck testa!

I used GE1 to cover it with pool filter sand then superglue gel to get the larger rocks on and ge1 for the smaller rocks. Then epoxy to seal both ends. To keep fish out.

Really though, since not a lot of people do this feel free to experiment with other ways too. Just the people posting here have completely different approaches and I'm sure there's other ways as well. B)

Wow, what is that? A purple haze flashback shrimp??? Very cool!

LOL...i like it

its actually called a pederson cleaner shrimp...wow!

What's the scoop on these guys? Are they avaliable? Care similar to other cleaner shrimp?

I guess they are a type of anemone shrimp... i found a few for sale online... but will be researching them a bit more today... i guess they are very small like sexy shrimp

What's the scoop on these guys? Are they avaliable? Care similar to other cleaner shrimp?

I used to have 2 of those guys. Got them from sealifeinc.net. They are very pretty. Similar behaviour to a cleaner shrimp. Mine didn't hang out in the mushrooms because they loved my devil's hand leather. I really enjoyed them while I had them. Not very long lived for me though. One died after about 6 months, the other a couple of months later. Not sure why????? They are much bigger than sexy shrimp too. More the size of a small skunk cleaner.

I used to have 2 of those guys. Got them from sealifeinc.net. They are very pretty. Similar behaviour to a cleaner shrimp. Mine didn't hang out in the mushrooms because they loved my devil's hand leather. I really enjoyed them while I had them. Not very long lived for me though. One died after about 6 months, the other a couple of months later. Not sure why????? They are much bigger than sexy shrimp too. More the size of a small skunk cleaner.

Thanks for the info Gena... they sure do look pretty and i really wanna see one in person

I'm glad they are bigger... i might add some of these to my pico.... but i seen to change my mind every few seconds

Archived