Coral Vue Hydros

Millerman's Cube25 Project

millerman

Nice new addition :) my cleaner is my favorite, every time my hands are in the tank he's cleaning me. A few months ago someone here posted a picture of their mouth in the water and the shrimp cleaning that... I wouldn't go that far :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice new addition :) my cleaner is my favorite, every time my hands are in the tank he's cleaning me. A few months ago someone here posted a picture of their mouth in the water and the shrimp cleaning that... I wouldn't go that far :lol:

Thanks Joel!

I was contemplating getting 2, but my instinct said to slow down :)

Don't want to be rushing anything.

WillWork4Frags

Cleaner shrimps are the best. My only complaint is when they steal food from corals <_<

I like the minimal approach with the BB and scape, looking forward to your updates!

Cleaner shrimps are the best. My only complaint is when they steal food from corals <_<

I like the minimal approach with the BB and scape, looking forward to your updates!

Thanks! My ultimate goal is to have a sps dominated tank, but i have ALOT of learning and research to do. I made so many mistakes on my first tank, that i really want to do it right this time around.

Love your reef too. Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...

Updates!

• Added CUC, just a bit of algae left over from the initial cycle
  • Added 2 Torch corals
  • Added 1 massive hammer coral

8ecaeb4d.jpg

d055e676.jpg

dbf1fd9e.jpg

b2badc1f.jpg

e2ce7c1e.jpg

FTS.

That's a 21 gallon fresh water top off reserve next to the stand. Good for 3 weeks B)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since I've updated.

So far, I'm waiting for things to stabilize before I start adding more corals. I plan to add a birds nest coral, zoas, and probably a crocea clam.

As far as live stock goes, i want to understock to keep the nutrient levels in check.

Everything's doing great so far. The rockwork is squeaky clean with 99% of the algae all gone. I'm contemplating adding a flame angel, but those things arent exactly reef safe, and I'm nto sure if housing 2 clowns and a flame angel in a 25 gallon is a good idea.

Happy reefing!

Current FTS

1fc69706.jpg

• 1 month later...
Nice cube!

Thanks! Still a work in progress. Can't wait to add my sump. I'll most likely make my own sump from glass. Will post pics when that happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Added the first SPS --- a yellow acro!

468a00e4.jpg

Full polyp extension.

e330896b.jpg

c2ac73d1.jpg

Rough sketch of the sump in progress.

ce9b111a.jpg

My mad google sketch skills. The rectangle is the Tunze 9002, and the circle is where I plan to mount the Tunze ATO sensor. Ignore the extra glass panel on the Intake--- I was too noobish to delete it.

I'll post an updated sketch of the sump after i think through some baffle designs.

• 2 weeks later...
I love your cube, how's the angel doing in there?

Thanks! The angel is doing fine. I was hesitant to add a Flame Angel at first, but as long as he's well fed, he doesn't nip. Not so far anyway.

• 8 months later...

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally added a DIY sump to the system. A lot's changed since my last update.

For one, my two torch corals and hammer corals were completely wiped out with some sort of bug. After dipping the corals in Revive several times through 5 months, I lost all but one head. Moral of the story ---- always dip your corals!

Both of my true perculas also jumped out, which was a total bummer since they were happy and healthy for a good year before they decided to go carpet surfing.

The good news:

• Added a DIY sump!
  • Added two new hammer corals, 1 tomato clown, and three chromis
  • On the way: BRS Tank cover (clear netting) to stop jumpers, BRS Bio-pellet reactor

Adding a sump to the system was probably the best thing i've done for the system. Enjoy the pics!

I'll be starting my Bio-pellet reactor in the next week (waiting for the package to arrive in UPS). So far, I've read mostly good things about bio-pellets. I'll keep my progress updated on this thread.

2D4BBB0F-D343-4D4F-B4FE-D079B00FD7E8-154

66272A83-C599-46E5-8098-78265B94ED61-154

58356890-DB94-41D1-8E74-D5EC1FF2B2B9-154

71760062-17E4-4376-8259-6ECFBD9B84F7-158

5FFBC3A5-FDC1-4D80-937C-63AC5C24B8D9-158

8FAED2A7-248C-4FF8-96AD-F19A30583656-154

7C68F6CE-6210-4D3C-8515-115D4CC4DA37-154

Thanks! The Tunze is a great little skimmer, but it's extremely sensitive to water levels. As long as you run the tunze in a sump, you'll get great results. I'd also consider Reef Octopus or Bubble King skimmers if it fits your sump (and budget!).

Archived