inTank Media Baskets

Kessil Reef LED

howie1son

So I've been doing a bunch of research on this light and watching video on youtube and on kessil's web sight. Curious to know if anyone on here has used, witnessed seeing them, and or know anything else about them. They seem like an awesome LED. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

What up Bender

It's a sexy light. I got to try one out in July on my RSM. It was the 14K which was very blue, much more like a 20K IMO. The 10K is more balanced with white in it unlike their 14K.

It's a neat light, small package, good idea good price, nice shimmer. There are too many choices when it comes to lighting, makes my head hurt.

Not to much is up. Just wanting to upgrade my lighting on my 120. I've seen tanks my size with only two lights and there rockin LPS and what not. Very Very interested in these. Where are you located in the falls? I just started working in brookfield at a fish store. Im very interested in learning about what you all do.

Sweet lights from the research I've found also. I thought the research was over when I found the Radion's xr. Then more research and I also have decided to go with the kessils. Glad to know they got StevieT to put a thumbs up, I'll be adding 2 of them to our new tank. So no reviews from me yet, but good to know my research actually was in the right direction lol

The kessil LEDs are awesome. I have two 10k on my 36" oceanic 57 rimless. I have lps sps and softies that are growing well. My monti cap went from 3" to 4" in under a month. Great growth and color on these lights. Great customer service as well.

I have one of these on my 18" cube. It sits 6" above the water as recommended but I'm a little disappointed in it actually as far as output. My softies on the bottom of the tank seem to be reaching quite a bit. I have a torch coral that is browning slightly as well that may or may not be related to the light. The overall color looks gorgeous and the shimmer is amazing but It seems a little dim. Will adding another double the par output on the bottom of my tank?

Sweet lights from the research I've found also. I thought the research was over when I found the Radion's xr. Then more research and I also have decided to go with the kessils. Glad to know they got StevieT to put a thumbs up, I'll be adding 2 of them to our new tank. So no reviews from me yet, but good to know my research actually was in the right direction lol

What size tank are you putting them on? Can't wait to hear your reviews!!!

The kessil LEDs are awesome. I have two 10k on my 36" oceanic 57 rimless. I have lps sps and softies that are growing well. My monti cap went from 3" to 4" in under a month. Great growth and color on these lights. Great customer service as well.

Ah Dang thats some quick growth!! Glad to hear they have good customer service incase i have questions down the road. Which 10ks do you have? How far are they from the service?

I have one of these on my 18" cube. It sits 6" above the water as recommended but I'm a little disappointed in it actually as far as output. My softies on the bottom of the tank seem to be reaching quite a bit. I have a torch coral that is browning slightly as well that may or may not be related to the light. The overall color looks gorgeous and the shimmer is amazing but It seems a little dim. Will adding another double the par output on the bottom of my tank?

Possibly lower it an inch or so. And I'm sure adding another would def bring the par up.

Thanks for the input and advice!! :)

What size tank are you putting them on? Can't wait to hear your reviews!!!

I plan on 2 ocean blue 15k's for my new 65g build. Headed back to my local FS today to start our early Christmas shopping :)

Ah Dang thats some quick growth!! Glad to hear they have good customer service incase i have questions down the road. Which 10ks do you have? How far are they from the service?

Possibly lower it an inch or so. And I'm sure adding another would def bring the par up.

Thanks for the input and advice!! :)

Please keep me posted on how things go. Are you going to do a tank thread?

I would like to do a tank thread yes, still have to figure how that will work. I have a hard enough time getting pics uploaded lol.. Tank is 38x18x24 w/ BIO lights are kessils of coarse, vortecs x2. Prob will end up selling my mp10's and going with 40's. But 2 mp10's might be enough. The rest of the equipment is not set in stone yet. Lots of research yet to do but I like that stuff. My GF will have to do the smart stuff and figure out how to get a tank thread started. I'll keep ya posted

I have heard par on these suck and not good for deeper tanks.............

What's considered a deep tank? 24"? On the wed site they had local california fish stores testing them out. From what i saw the corals were looking really good. Even the few vids I saw on youtube.

I would like to do a tank thread yes, still have to figure how that will work. I have a hard enough time getting pics uploaded lol.. Tank is 38x18x24 w/ BIO lights are kessils of coarse, vortecs x2. Prob will end up selling my mp10's and going with 40's. But 2 mp10's might be enough. The rest of the equipment is not set in stone yet. Lots of research yet to do but I like that stuff. My GF will have to do the smart stuff and figure out how to get a tank thread started. I'll keep ya posted

Very exciting!! Can't wait for this! When or if you figure out how to do a tank thread throw the details my way. I'd like to make one for my tank and my GF's tank. Tanks.

If i recall from my research, LEDs are not good candidates for a rating based on PAR. I may be wrong though. Also I am from the Bay Area and the LFS that were on the Kessil website is Neptune Aquatics in Milpitas (the best LFS ive been to) and Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell. Both of them use the Kessil on a display tank and the coloration is awesome. Thats what made me buy these for my new tank. My tank is 20" tall and the lights are 6" above the tank and I have awesome coverage, brightness and growth. I used to have ecoxotics and these seem way better. Only downer is they are not dimmable (which i dont mind at all). Apparently there is talk of new dimmable versions coming soon. Heres a FTS of my tank:

I just found out about these when I went to a LFS out of town. It was the 14k model (more like 20k) and setup on a 28g biocube. He let me test it with a PAR meter and at the water surface which was about 6in away it was around 620 PAR. I didn't think that was too bad and I am sure it would would be enough to grow SPS. I don't think it has that great of spread and on a deeper tank I bet the PAR would be really low near the bottom. Seems like it would be a good light for nano tanks though.

Had yet to hear that claim myself. Have researched them enough to feel confident that they will be a great addition to my new build. Thing is with so many types of LEDs on the market and so many opinions on each brand. Lots will be said about all of them, good and bad. With that being said Kessils advancements in technology are a step in the right direction and will benifit our entire reef community. LEDs are supposed to be an advancement over MH, they are a company dedicated to lighting & I feel confident all there money goes back into R&D..

Check back in on me in 6 months or a year to see how the Kessels are working out for me :)

I saw one at my LFS over a 24g biocube and it lit the whole thing pretty well. There was quite a bit of shimmer from water surface movement and the color was nice (I think it was 14k). Seems like an interesting option for people with smaller tanks.

Sounds as if i should wait awhile and see if they come up with a better light. Guess I'll put those lights on the back burner and spend the money on a new sump/fuge. Thanks again guys for all the help/research you've all done!! Floppybass can't wait to see this thing in action! plainrt thanks for that link.

Had yet to hear that claim myself.

The PAR doesn't 'suck so to speak, but the tests I saw put the Kessil clearly in the class it's actually in, and that's competing with generic Asian ~35 watt LED fixtures. It's nowhere near the PAR out-put of 150watt halide with a good reflector, but then again 150watt halide fixtures are often stuck in applications where a smaller halide would do just fine, but smaller (<150watt) halides tend not to be popular or high performing. So, the Kessil fits a nice niche at a nice price-point, and it's a no fuss fixture with no worry about color-disco effects.

Biggest problem with the Kessil is the price per PAR ratio is insanely high. I can see running one of them on a 20-28gal, but I don't get some of you running 2,3 or four of them. That's a lot of money tossed out the window for not a lot of LED wattage.

Do you think a single A150 sky blue would do better over a 25 gallon- 21Wx18Dx16T or

28 gallon-18Wx18DX20T. I want to keep mostly LPS including acans, favia, chalices, and some torch and frogspawn.

Do you think a single A150 sky blue would do better over a 25 gallon- 21Wx18Dx16T or

28 gallon-18Wx18DX20T. I want to keep mostly LPS including acans, favia, chalices, and some torch and frogspawn.

Either tank size would work fine. I have the kessil 10k over my 20 long which spans 30", and some light still reaches the edges. Anything under 24" will be lit pretty well. Although the par further away from the center will drop off significantly i'm sure.

I do agree that the price is a bit high for what you get at the moment. My favorite part about the kessil fixture is the color blending. It doesn't have that crazy disco effect that i get with DIY fixture i made for another tank. It's also a straight forward no hassle setup. I also like the small profile of the light and gooseneck mount. I do wish there was something in between the 10k and 15k cause i do feel like the 10k could use a tad more actinic supplement. The 15k just looks too blue.

• 2 months later...
DIY Cube Nano Man
By my calculations that tank is 52 gallons not 25.

I have a 25g and its 18x18x18

Beautiful tank!

maybe he minus'd off the LR/sand/and filtration area - to get a more accurate display water volume

Archived