inTank Media Baskets

mpsti05's rimless reef..... Tank coming down...

mpsti05

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow.such.chris

After two years it started leaching phosphates

New tank is 40gal plus 20 gal sump, so really about 50gal total 100w won't cut it other wise I would.

How can something not leach P for 2 years and suddenly change? I would understand if it had dead things on it and added P right away but I don't see any way P could be bound up in the rock and suddenly released. I could be wrong but I think this needs some more explanation.

I know pukani leaches phosphates for sure. I tried reef cleaners this time around, and so far so good. No phosphate issues, algae issues, nada.

I also hear good things about Marco rock.

Why do you think it was the rock. Now you have me worried. I have Reefsaver in my tank and havent had any issues.

Algae issue started about a year or so after, I think it slowly started leaching crap, and with the AIO tank I didn't have a skimmer that could handle it. Snow balled.... I think you'll be fine, with the new tank I'll have equipment that can handle the bio load.

• 3 weeks later...

Well moving in two weeks, tentative closing date for our new place isn't till 8/15. Last pearly jawfish disappeared aswell. Not in the back of the tank or under any rocks and no body anywhere. So I plan to qt the clowns and 6line and diamond goby when we move into the inlaws for a month. Instead of just transfering the tank I'll break it down. Probably will just grab a 10 or 20g and what else? Just a cheap hob and heater.

• 3 weeks later...

Well moving in two weeks, tentative closing date for our new place isn't till 8/15. Last pearly jawfish disappeared aswell. Not in the back of the tank or under any rocks and no body anywhere. So I plan to qt the clowns and 6line and diamond goby when we move into the inlaws for a month. Instead of just transfering the tank I'll break it down. Probably will just grab a 10 or 20g and what else? Just a cheap hob and heater.

So you are going to break it down and set up new when you move? I think that you have the basics for the QT tank, though some kind of biological filter is needed too.

I think that you have the basics for the QT tank, though some kind of biological filter is needed too.

This.

I made that mistake once thinking, fresh saltwater, daily water changes, what could go wrong?

Well the answer is lots! :lol:

So either have live rock in their or, start up a sponge in your current tank to place in your hob later.

I keep some extra liverock in my sump and whenever I qt I use that. I find the liverock makes the fish feel less stressed. It also means you don't have to do frequent water changes. I don't dose copper. I do a prazipro treatment and sometimes antibiotics. This doesn't harm the bacteria on the liverock. When I'm done with qt I dry out the rock and bleach it. After a week in r/o I put it back in the sump to colonize again.

It works out because i really don't need a full time qt tank. It also helps to have the liverock so I only have to do weekly water changes. I haven't seen a cycle of any kind doing this. The rock literally goes from sump to tank in 10 seconds, so I'm pretty sure there is no die off.

I did my last 2 fish like this, and so far so good!

I do something similar but instead I always keep a large bag of seachem matrix in the sump. I take out a handful and put it in the filter on the QT. I figure this way, if the fish does have something, I can just throw it away each time since it is so cheap.

I never see a cycle either :) Works great!

Moved to the inlaws.... Move sucked, both my brothers had to work but my two good friends showed up to help, 80% of our stuff is in storage and the rest is at the inlaws where we are staying. Closing on our new place is Aug 15th and probably move in around Labor Day. Moved the tank Sunday with my dad, took about 4-5hours. Sucked!! Once we close I'm gonna set up the reef savvy asap, so once we move in the fish go in a bucket and into the new tank and the old tank gets torn down and put in the basement at the new place for future use. No casualties from the move but I only have the clowns and the six line, my fire shrimp I've had for almost 1.5yrs he crawled right into my hand and I put him in the bucket. Not looking foward to moving again in 4weeks but getting excited for the new place and tank.

Damn you ecotech! Hmmm 15% off a new mp40 for the new tank... Must resisit cause I want a samsung 65" 4k led for my new living room.

Damn you ecotech! Hmmm 15% off a new mp40 for the new tank... Must resisit cause I want a samsung 65" 4k led for my new living room.

Slap the tv on one of those best buy or amazon 3 year no interest cards and buy the mp40. Win win

Slap the tv on one of those best buy or amazon 3 year no interest cards and buy the mp40. Win win

Lol, naw man gotta get it from Costco, cheaper and free two yr warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I should have all the plumbing parts and 2 new reators and heater by weds, moving into the new place this weekend and on vacation all next week. Hope to have the new tank set up this weekend or early next week.

Archived