Spirofucci

Rio Grande Twins

surgicalsense
Me neither! I feel like such a dorkus noobus on this project. I hope I can be patient for the cycle to finish.

Oh come one. Who cares about the dorkus noobus (hahaha, you made your own species) anyhow.

You will be patient and the tank will look awesome.

I am only almost 3 months new to this. Look I haven't killed anything yet. LOL

Since I am so experienced in these matters, here is my opinion, the RSM is a great AIO tank, but still needs some mods to make it perform well. I think it is a great first tank. Since you will soon be a reef veteran, I think your second tank should be exactly the way you want it including the size, shape and all the possible additions you consider important for a successful reef, ie sump, fuge, lighting etc. Then you can use your current set up a QT or frag tank.

How's that for great advice from a dorkus noobus?

For starters I do not have the room. Now, second I do not have the experience with the sump, fuge, special lighting... that is where I get kinda chickened out. I figured this, as long as I keep this 24g alive and thriving .... I am on a roll. Barely a vet, but looking forward to the experience.

Spirofucci

You will, you're just not ready yet.

surgicalsense
You will, you're just not ready yet.

I am excited that Gena is coming over and will bring her camera. I can now get some awesome pictures to post of my tank... the ones I have are pretty basic because of my type of camera.

Your right I am not ready.But, I have more then once pondered this project. Even just the concept of making a frag tank. Geesh, if I had more room in my place. Or even just the upgrade on my AIO lighting... If anything I want to do that, so I can support corals I want.

The other cabnet matches perfectly. I wouldn't of known at all....

Edited by surgicalsense

Spirofucci

Sure sounds like Ms Gena knows what she's doing. Be sure to post lots of pics!

Spirofucci

A little update, some dumb ass questions and some pics.

So a week ago I put some rock in the tank that I had previously put in my LFS reef tank two week prior to seed. I also put two cups of live sand from the same tank in there along with a dead shrimp which I removed after three days. Now that rock looks to have some brown, reddish and green algae growing on it. I also have some greenish algae growing on the glass. I tested a few times this week including today and have no amonia, nitrate or nitrates. The dry rock structure is starting to grow some stuff on it as well

Do you think the tank cylced already?

If so, should I wait for the rock structure to get covered before I get a CUC?[

I also did the Stevie T ATO tubing in black PVC pipe thing. Very clean!

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Thanks in advance for your advice

Spirofucci

I forgot to thank EZsharkman for MP10 help! I figured it out and have it on reefcrest at about 40%.

thanks dude!

surgicalsense

Hola from The Valley! Looks sweet, yaya .... cycling! Exciting!

I have say, just a funny.... the LR in the front L side, looks like a turd.

Spirofucci

Thanks Valley Girl! I have heard that some people pee in their tank to get the cycle started, I did both.

• Like 1

Spirofucci

Another noob question. I have both API test kits. One for the pH, amonia, nitrite, nitrate and one for the Ca, alk, phos and nitrate.

When I test for amonia, the second solution preciptates in the test tube and makes it cloudy. This doesn't happen with the fresh water test. Is this normal?

Also, when I tested for Ca, I had to put in over 20 drops to make it blue. I don't think my Ca is that high, all that's in there is the Red Sea salt that came with the tank.

thanks, mark

Ezsharkman
Another noob question. I have both API test kits. One for the pH, amonia, nitrite, nitrate and one for the Ca, alk, phos and nitrate.

When I test for amonia, the second solution preciptates in the test tube and makes it cloudy. This doesn't happen with the fresh water test. Is this normal?

Also, when I tested for Ca, I had to put in over 20 drops to make it blue. I don't think my Ca is that high, all that's in there is the Red Sea salt that came with the tank.

thanks, mark

Glad i could help with the mp10 =)

My ammonia test gets cloudy when i first add the drops... after a shake it calms down..

Cal at 20 drops is about (dont have my sheet handy) 400 ppm calcium.... your salt mix prolly has that much calcium in it. Since nothing/not much is using it up it's still there. I would shoot for around 440- 450 ppm for cal when you start adding corals... water changes might be enough at fisrt to get those target levels

As for your earlier cycle?... i get nervous when it only takes a week to cycle. My cycle was about 2 weeks, but i waited a month just to be safe. It was the hardest month of all for me. Lucky i had some hitchhiker's that kept my nose to the glass. I personally would wait a few weeks and make sure you don't have a second cycle

Edited by Ezsharkman

Spirofucci

Thanks as always!!!!!

surgicalsense
Thanks Valley Girl! I have heard that some people pee in their tank to get the cycle started, I did both.

Hahahaha! Valley Girl? Me, no way. You wouldn't even know I am from here if you were to hear me speak.

Like, for sure!

surgicalsense

thanks, mark

Sorry I have the glazed over look on my face. My Ca ranges on the high side also. About 420+ (no pun) however, I work with that since I have my froggy and cap in there sucking that neutrients up.

I buy my water, I will need to learn to mix some day. But, today is not that day. LOL

Since I did my routine 5g water change Sunday, I will test my ranges. I use the API master reef kit. I only test the 4 standard ranges currently.

ajmckay

Hey this tank looks like it's going to be really nice! I like the idea of having a cabinet next to the tank for housing ATO, controller, etc... Really sharp looking too!

As for the cycle, have you read up on the nitrogen cycle? It sounds to me like you're experienced in keeping fish, however, I would continue researching this important subject. Remember that a "cycle" is a continuous event. It doesn't just finish one day. It changes and reestablishes it's equilibrium every time a change is made to the tank (adding livestock, subtracting, changing feeding regimen, etc...).

In general the idea is to ramp up the bio-load in your tank. The bio-load is generally considered the amount of waste being produced in your aquarium that the biological filtration needs to process. Adding shrimp and peeing and all this stuff is just an attempt to create ammonia in the tank. Personally I think it's not a good idea though, who WANTS ammonia and decay in their tank? Besides, without the necessary bacteria the water will just foul and smell.

Remember that before adding anything your ammonia and nitrite must be 0. Other than that it's a simple process. Set up your tank using cycled LR, or using dry base rock and seeding with some cycled LR. Wait until your ammonia and nitrite are 0 (anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on the amount of die-off from the LR). Add a few herbivorous snails. That you're seeing some diatom action is a good sign (but hardly conclusive sign that your tank is cycled). Again wait a week, test, and if all is good add more snails, crabs, CUC. Wait another week, test, and if all is good add your first fish... So basically this is the pattern, as you can see the idea is to avoid making large, sudden changes to the bio-load in the tank... If you have further, specific questions, ask.

Good luck! This one seems like it will turn out really nice. What are your stocking plans?

Spirofucci

Now that I'm home, I checked tha Ca chart in the API kit and it seems I totally misread the directions. Instead of blaming noobness I think it was to many cervesas yesterday.

BTW a lot of folks really did pee in their tank years ago to get the cycle started, I'll bet some still :o do, they just won't admit it.

surgicalsense
Now that I'm home, I checked tha Ca chart in the API kit and it seems I totally misread the directions. Instead of blaming noobness I think it was to many cervesas yesterday.

BTW a lot of folks really did pee in their tank years ago to get the cycle started, I'll bet some still :o do, they just won't admit it.

:o Hahahaha ....

picoreef78

Great tank. I set mine up about 7 months ago and had a move and recycle when I sent it to Dallas.

Spirofucci

Wow EZ, now thats a turd!

Thanks for the advice ajmckay! I've read alot but from the practical side I'm still a noob and I guess inpatient. I will wait. As for stocking plans I think I'm gonna go with simple easy fish and corals. Maybe a pair of clowns and zoas, rics, shrooms, and maybe a birds nest to start with.

surgicalsense
Wow EZ, now thats a turd!

Thanks for the advice ajmckay! I've read alot but from the practical side I'm still a noob and I guess inpatient. I will wait. As for stocking plans I think I'm gonna go with simple easy fish and corals. Maybe a pair of clowns and zoas, rics, shrooms, and maybe a birds nest to start with.

.... and a frogspawn somewhere in that group. ;) ... if you like, of course.

Spirofucci

There are so many corals I would like to have. My goal is to not kill any at first. I eventually want to have that structure covered in very colorful specimens all living in beautiful harmony, I hope. I also would like to have a clam or two.

Once the tank is ready, whenever that is, I'm taking out all the rocks except the structure, even the turd.

JoelRHale

Killer scape man, I like it.

If you don't want to kill anything at first go with gsp or mushrooms. Ricordeas aren't a bad choice either. Mine has given me a few fits but nothing serious.

Spirofucci

Thanks JoelRHale! I love gsp. I was thinking of maybe three "tufts" in there spread artistically around instead of just one colony. I really want this tank to be a thing of beauty, if I can, so when it's time for coral I'll be asking lots of advice for type and placement. I have Eric B's book and have read it from cover to cover but have zero practial experience.

JoelRHale

You can just call me Joel :D

That would be pretty cool but when it likes where it is, it's spreads fast! :eek:

With the RSM I don't think bleaching is a worry you can pretty much place soft corals wherever, with a brief light acclimation period of course. Same with LPS I think. SPS you're better off leaning towards birdsnest, montipora and other lower light SPS placed in the top 40% of the tank.

You're not going to have any flow problems with that MP10 in there B)

You've done your reading, you're not going to have too many problems I don't think.