Cultivated Reef

Rio Grande Twins

Spirofucci

So that pink SPS I quoted above is a Strawberry Shortcake????? You must have gotten that one from Vivid? I remember thinking their's looked so much more pale compared to others I've seen. I like the looks of yours/theirs better than the darker SS. Hmmmmm....something to think about. :)

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that pink SPS I quoted above is a Strawberry Shortcake????? You must have gotten that one from Vivid? I remember thinking their's looked so much more pale compared to others I've seen. I like the looks of yours/theirs better than the darker SS. Hmmmmm....something to think about. :)

Actually the SSC is the pinkish one just to the left of the light reflection. It's a slow grower for me but still very purdy. The big one is a sunrise or sunset millie.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/spirofucci/media/20130828_183812_zpsb701e487.jpg.html'>20130828_183812_zpsb701e487.jpg

What amazing growth! The tank is looks fabulous, all the SPS colors are right on.

Thanks Miss Kat! I'm happy with things so far. But.......see I'd like to do what you've done and get some of those bigger colonies outta there or trim them way down to make room for even purdier ones. :)

What a GORGEOUS tank !! :wub:

Why thank you Mamma!!!!!

Nice Spiro!

May I ask you what is your PO4 at and what are you using to measure it?

Thanks so much!!!! I do have cyano.......sometimes really bad still...... and my phos is zero from both the red sea pro and the Hanna meter........lol, not sure if I'm measuring P03 or P04?????? Very frustrating actually. :angry:

Mark, did you get the pump upgrade offer from RSM?

Thanks Miss Kat! I'm happy with things so far. But.......see I'd like to do what you've done and get some of those bigger colonies outta there or trim them way down to make room for even purdier ones. :)

But you have the sensitive acros already, I see torts and echinatas, even a strawberry shortcake! What has caught your eye?

send me your email on PM

Thanks! Howcome you are so well connected in the reefing world????? Wait.......I don't want to know......... :lol:

WOW!!! Im blown away!!! Awesome acro, and I think I see an Elegance ??? Sweet.

Thanks Zeph!!!!! Yes, I've had that elegance for almost two years.......no problems, but not much growth either. :huh:

I may be asking for your advice soon as I'd like to add a clam or two on the sand. :)

Thanks Zeph!!!!! Yes, I've had that elegance for almost two years.......no problems, but not much growth either. :huh:

I may be asking for your advice soon as I'd like to add a clam or two on the sand. :)

Impressive! Is the elegance pink or purple tip ? or just normal. I can answer you already. Dr. Macs farm raised maximas. Best/healthiest clams Ive ever seen in my life. I just picked up these three. Make sure they are his farmed ones though. Avoid clams from Divers den.

e3lo.jpg

Thanks so much!!!! I do have cyano.......sometimes really bad still...... and my phos is zero from both the red sea pro and the Hanna meter........lol, not sure if I'm measuring P03 or P04?????? Very frustrating actually. :angry:

phosphite (PO3)?

Which Hanna checker are you using?

I assumed my HI736 phosphorus checker would detect phosphorus in all it's forms within a salt solution. The element P within all the molecules it is converted into. I still wonder if this is the case. If it is the case, a higher reading of say 20ppb may not be so problematic in the reef aquarium as I also assume much of the P would be removed before it was converted into useful (problematic) forms. My knowledge of all the forms of phosphate is lacking immensely :mellow:

Actually the SSC is the pinkish one just to the left of the light reflection. It's a slow grower for me but still very purdy. The big one is a sunrise or sunset millie.

20130828_183812_zpsb701e487.jpg

Ok...I see it. I like the millie better! Did you get it from Morgan?

Impressive! Is the elegance pink or purple tip ? or just normal. I can answer you already. Dr. Macs farm raised maximas. Best/healthiest clams Ive ever seen in my life. I just picked up these three. Make sure they are his farmed ones though. Avoid clams from Divers den.

e3lo.jpg

I think that elegance is just a "normal" one.....it sorta has pink tips.

Thanks for the advice on the maximas! Those are que bonita!!!!!

phosphite (PO3)?

Which Hanna checker are you using?

I assumed my HI736 phosphorus checker would detect phosphorus in all it's forms within a salt solution. The element P within all the molecules it is converted into. I still wonder if this is the case. If it is the case, a higher reading of say 20ppb may not be so problematic in the reef aquarium as I also assume much of the P would be removed before it was converted into useful (problematic) forms. My knowledge of all the forms of phosphate is lacking immensely :mellow:

I think its the green one lol. I didn't know they had two...... :blink:

I agree! I think I failed organic AND inorganic chem.......... :wacko:

I'm pretty sure I don't have much phos in my system, but I must have some other dominat nutrient because I still have a bunch of cyano....... :angry:

Ok...I see it. I like the millie better! Did you get it from Morgan?

I think if you could see them in person you would like the SSC better! ;)

I think its the green one lol. I didn't know they had two...... :blink:

They have a phosphate (HI713) and a phosphorus (HI736). The phosphorus checker should be detecting all phosphorus in the tank regardless of form. Better or not, I am on the fence. My phosphate checker reads 0.00ppm PO4, and my phosphorus checker reads 20ppb (~0.06ppm) PO4, which to believe, as they are substantially different results?

I have sent two packets of phosphorus (HI736) reagent to Hanna Inc for testing, waiting for the results.

I agree! I think I failed organic AND inorganic chem.......... :wacko:

Never mind :) I struggle to get my head around phosphorus and all the molecules it becomes a part of.

I'm pretty sure I don't have much phos in my system, but I must have some other dominat nutrient because I still have a bunch of cyano....... :angry:

So much emphasis is placed on phosphate levels in reef aquaria but there seems to be no reliable and accurate way to test for it at a hobbyist level, shame.

Remember, cyanobacteria feeds on both dissolved nutrients and light. It may be your light that is feeding the cyanobacteria solely if your nutrients are ultra low. Looking at your pictures of corals, I would say your nutrients are way down there, maybe 0.01ppm PO4 and 0 NO3, and I wouldn't mess with that. I have suggested to others in the past to reduce the red/orange/yellow light spectrums in their fixtures for a couple of weeks. Most say it has helped quite a bit, maybe worth a try.

Also, are you dosing any form of bacteria on a weekly basis? It sometimes helps to beat out the bad bacterias the take over opportunistically.

Your corals are looking quite nice, good colour and tissue formation. Probably my favourite tank here on NR right now :)

Following...

jedimasterben

Cyano is pretty much because of an imbalance in nitrate and phosphate, with an excess of phosphate bringing forth the battalions. I'm not sure if you have a reactor, but if you don't, GFO isn't a good choice. Phosguard (aluminum oxide) is a much better option and I believe is not only more efficient at phosphate removal, but you can figure out exactly how much you need with a bit of math - 500mL of the pellets will remove 30ppm of phosphate in 150 gallons of water. It will also bind silica, as well.

They have a phosphate (HI713) and a phosphorus (HI736). The phosphorus checker should be detecting all phosphorus in the tank regardless of form. Better or not, I am on the fence. My phosphate checker reads 0.00ppm PO4, and my phosphorus checker reads 20ppb (~0.06ppm) PO4, which to believe, as they are substantially different results?

I have sent two packets of phosphorus (HI736) reagent to Hanna Inc for testing, waiting for the results.

Never mind :) I struggle to get my head around phosphorus and all the molecules it becomes a part of.

So much emphasis is placed on phosphate levels in reef aquaria but there seems to be no reliable and accurate way to test for it at a hobbyist level, shame.

Remember, cyanobacteria feeds on both dissolved nutrients and light. It may be your light that is feeding the cyanobacteria solely if your nutrients are ultra low. Looking at your pictures of corals, I would say your nutrients are way down there, maybe 0.01ppm PO4 and 0 NO3, and I wouldn't mess with that. I have suggested to others in the past to reduce the red/orange/yellow light spectrums in their fixtures for a couple of weeks. Most say it has helped quite a bit, maybe worth a try.

Also, are you dosing any form of bacteria on a weekly basis? It sometimes helps to beat out the bad bacterias the take over opportunistically.

Your corals are looking quite nice, good colour and tissue formation. Probably my favourite tank here on NR right now :)

Following...

I still need to try some Dr. Tims or something similar for the cyano........

Cyano is pretty much because of an imbalance in nitrate and phosphate, with an excess of phosphate bringing forth the battalions. I'm not sure if you have a reactor, but if you don't, GFO isn't a good choice. Phosguard (aluminum oxide) is a much better option and I believe is not only more efficient at phosphate removal, but you can figure out exactly how much you need with a bit of math - 500mL of the pellets will remove 30ppm of phosphate in 150 gallons of water. It will also bind silica, as well.

Thanks Benny, I've been using phosban but I might try some phosgard next and also as mentioned above try some bacterial additives also.

As I've always said.......there is probably so much more going on in our tanks that we do not understand, than what we do understand....

Cyano is pretty much because of an imbalance in nitrate and phosphate, with an excess of phosphate bringing forth the battalions.

Jedi, I am interested in what you say regarding imbalance of nitrates and phosphates and cyanobacteria. Could you provide a link or other that I could learn more about this as I have never heard this before, thanks :)

I still need to try some Dr. Tims or something similar for the cyano........

Spiro, many people are struggling with cyanobacteria so it seems, I have never had it in any of my tanks in 20 years. Hard to believe, and I can admit I am not 100% sure why I have been spared this troublesome bacteria. From what I have seen, it favours areas with light, and not just areas with nutrients. This leads me to believe light, and maybe more specifically the spectrums of light, play a significant roll in it's survival. Of course there are other things at play, nutrients and the bacteria itself. It is a living bacteria, maybe the first on earth, so it must be very good at surviving. I have seen others have some good success at eradicating cyanobacteria by introducing enzymes into the water. These enzymes, I theorize, work as a catalyst and allow other bacteria to consume the cyanobacteria. Again, just what I think is happening, but it has worked for many so however it works, it's a good thing I guess because it has no adverse affects on the tank or inhabitants.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a red planet. I have not logged in in a while and did not see your post until after I pulled the trigger.

Oh well having my fingers crossed.

Seems this Cyano outbreak is all the rage.

My Red Sea pro tell me I have 0.02 ppm PO4 and 0 ppm NO3. The API one I have used always read zero. Not sure what happened after 4 years of really no trouble. I heard around the internet about silicates causing trouble as well.

I also must say have have your Milka stylopora envy.

• 4 weeks later...
SouthFlorida_Tron

I had bad Cyano and some hair algae but on Christines advice I lowered the reds and my new cad skimmer is apparently starving out unwanted algae.

I have a dying Frag of rp. Apparently doesn't like my tank.

Just wow man, I been MIA on here and wow I have missed a ton. This tank is more then amazing!

Let me know if/when you do a SPS fragging I would love to get some of your SPS corals. Just sick. And i have cyano as well, IDK why it's not like I feed alot and there is only Cyano on the back glass and the sand..... IDK it's a PITA.

Archived