Sign in to follow this  
Iphantom

Algae taking over my tank!!!!

here is the link to the pics it is in the nano reef folder:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/xproject_mattx

I have had this algae on my rocks for a while but it really hasn't been a problem - but recently I have noticed that it is growing alot and the more I clean it off the more it grows- I think thats because when I peel it off some little pieces might float off to attach to somewhere else

there is the red algae and a purple algae it is driving me crazy and I am afraid it is going to take my tank over! I have taken the rocks that are small enough for me to take out and clean them but it still grows back.

What do I do?

-Matt

cyano bactieria? after over a year?

oh man I really need help with this.

i have a ton of snails(astria and Margarita) and hermits(red and blue) and its still spreading they don't even seem to touch it.

any other suggestions?

-Matt

What kind of lighting do you have? As bulbs get older, they seem to encourage the growth of algea. Perhaps try cutting back your photo period, or gettting new bulbs.

i have a 32 watt power compact

do you think that after a year the bulbs will allready need to be replaced?

my lights are on a timer for 12 to 12

what do you think I should try?

I am new to this but I think I read somewhere that bulbs should be replaced every 6 monthsor so, since they do lose their original spectrum over time.

Im fighting some red macro algae also and it's very tuff for us nanoers because we cant keep tangs in our tanks. I know there are some tangs that will eat the stuff.

This is what i've been doing. I would quarantine the infected rock in a covered bucket of saltwater with a power head to starve the algae of light. It works but my aqua scaping is constantly changing because i'm switch rocks back and forth.

Red_turf.jpg

Just be greatful it's not hair algae:)

Yeah I think you need to replace your bulb. I replace mine every 6 months or so due to shifts in spectrum.

You might want to decrease photo period to about 9 hours for a while.

Make sure to get as much detritus out of the tank and just keep plucking the algae out.

Increase your water flow if possible.

How often do you do water changes? and how much do you change?

Are you useing RO? RO/DI water?

Alot of algae will flourish for a while and then suddenly crash, thats what happened to my turf algae now I have some hair algae to replace it:(

Yea I already with through the hair algae when my tank was cycling last year-but it went away on its own.

I am going to order a new bulb as soon as I can and I decreased the photo period already.

I do a one gallon water change once a week.

I use distilled water(I don't have access to RO)

and I have had no major problems I just fear because the algae has grown so rapidly over the past few months that it wont stop growing!

-Matt

Check out these pics of growth I found in my tank. Is this the same stuff you have?attachment.php?s=&postid=2869358

hamm, i would not worry about that one tiny bit. plus when you have coraline like you do, well...your doing something right!

as for the other posts, algae cannot grow if there are no phosphates. it is the key nutrient for all algae's. somehow you are adding phosphates into your system. everyone does that but you need to now find a way to remove it. no phosphates means no algae!

nalbar

I like the growth (I'm assuming it's some kind of red macro), I'm just a little concerned with the rate it has grown. It just showed up about 2 weeks ago after I upgraded my light from 18w pc to 96w powerquad. It is only on one small (1 lb) rock, so I could remove it if I need to. Also, I have had spaghetti macro in my tank for a couple of months, so that could have seeded it I guess.

Mostly, I just want to ID it! I hate not knowing what is growing in my tank.

I have the same red macro in my 35g, not sure on the ID though. It will get pretty big so you may need to prune it once in a while.

Ebay,ebay,ebay;)

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recommended Discussions