SaltCritters.com

The complete LED & Dim4Controller Led Guide

Deckoz2302

Thanks guys I appreciate all your comments

Verizon charger soldered to a molex to test the voltage output which is 5v.

IMG_20111203_174219.jpg

Power wires from the buckpucks connected to a 4pin molex. I used 4 pins instead of 2 to separate power between channels 1/2 and 3/4 as the other side of the molex will connect to the relays and 24v power supply

IMG_20111203_173526.jpg

IMG_20111203_173510.jpg

Led power wires from buckpuck pinned for 15pin molex connector(ill take a pic later forgot

But my 15pin connector is wired like so

White +- Blue +- empty - buckpuck led leads

Violet +- Royal +- empty - buckpuck led leads

12v +- 5v+- empty - goes to fan controller

IMG_20111203_173552.jpg

Money shots lol

Don't mind the temp difference, I had the pendant lit with one fan on, I threw the other one on to take a pic, shows a difference of having a fan or not having a fan

2011-12-04_22-02-59_866-1.jpg

Hung

2011-12-04_12-55-06_789-1.jpg

Inside the glowing bubble of greatness

2011-12-04_22-11-55_234-1.jpg

Outside the bubble from the kitchen

2011-12-04_22-27-09_593-1.jpg

From from the walkin to living room - I think this could cure my driver arm tan...put my opposite arm under there and even out my farmers tan ? Haha

2011-12-04_22-26-32_217-1.jpg

Also, I think the tv and tank are gonna go head to head for attention haha

2011-08-30_21-06-48_828.jpg

This is just a temp light up, gonna paint the shroud satin black. And the fan controller and fan are just mocked on there still waiting for replacements. And ill have pics of all the wiring when I get the relays in for the drivers.

Also, depending on how my colors turn out, I may do some supplemental lighting behind the main pendant as I have a 1.1" x 9 heatsink. And may use Turquoise, Green, and pink/red to bring some natural colors back out. I just need to figure out how to drive 2 leds a strand at 350mah and still be able to dim them. Hmmmmmm this may wait for the reef angel, as it has 8 channels(2 built in, 6 expandable). Which will cover white, tru violet, blue, royal blue, turquoise green, either pink or red, and moonlight. Goal here is to make a better the radion fixture :P

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the lack of updates

60degree optics were added to all leds

I would ABSOLUTELY recomment the truviolets. I also added 2xred and 4xturquoise about a month ago and would never go without them again

Here's the fixture with the additions

P1140087.jpg

Across the room

P2050064.jpg

Current fts

P2050062.jpg

Side view

P2050057.jpg

<3 shot

P1270279.jpg

Yes - I ordered 3 off chinese ebay seller and will be installing shortly on the TV strand which will bring my led count upto 30 on a 4x9 fixture. I will probably install this weekend when I have time I tested them out on my spare rapid led moonlight driver & they give off a blacklight effect when put beside the 420's

Also they're on the expensive side since they aren't a popular bin

Any true ultra violet LED will be expensive.

My fixture is 24 RB and 12 NW but I am adding 420nm, 465-470nm and 660nm to it in the near future. I am considering the turquoise as well but I won't order them unless I need more of the TV, Blue or Red leds.

I had initially only ordered 2 turquoise, ended up shorting one out..ooops but I was planning on ordering 2 more to have a total of 4 turquoise(which I do now)..the turq is nice, really makes my orange monticap stand out I just had to have more after the initial 2

I have some really nice orange Ricordea Yuma's that would benefit from the turquoise.

In this phase of upgrade I will have the following. After this is implemented I will add more if required.

24 XT-E Royal Blue

12 XT-G Neutral White

6 420nm True Violet

4 465-475nm Blue

2 660nm Deep Red

Each colour has its own dimming control from my existing Arduino based LED controller. The Royal Blues will actually be in two strings of twelve but the dimming will be from the same PWM channel.

Niiiiiice.....I got a function I wrote for arduino - progressive sunphase...let me know and ill send you a copy/paste of the code - I'm working on multiplane slopes right now to mimic the radions color temp changes throughout the day.

I'd be interested in taking a look at it. People are doing some very cool things using an Arduino (or any microcontroller) to control their lights. An example is a guy who has the photoperiods for each day of the year at Great Barrier Reef programmed into his controller which simulates an entire years sun cycle. Others have implemented a cloud feature which sequentially dims parts of the fixture to look like clouds going by. I don't agree with the whole thunderstorm thing though. I feel like it might spook the fish too much.

In terms of my new fixture, I think I will need a bit more of the 465-475nm blue but we will see.

Here's that code Cintax. Ive changed some things and haven't change some of the variables back to bytes...ect so theres a few things that might throw you off as to why they are what they are lol

#define LEDPWM0 0

#define LEDPWM1 1

#define LEDPWM2 2

#define LEDPWM3 3

#define LEDPWM4 4

#define LEDPWM5 5

//********************************************************************************

//Globals Vavriables

void ParsSec(long,byte,byte,byte);

long calcSec(long,long);

long calcTime(long,long);

short Ndays;

int rhour = 0, rmin = 0, shour = 0, smin = 0;

byte PWMports[] ={

3,5,6,9,10,11};

int ChannelValue[] = {

0,0,0,0,0,0};

byte hourfp = 0, minfp = 0;

//********************************************************************************

//Calculate Sunrise/set by date & predefined season & rise/set times

void Seasons()

{

//Set the hour you want the calculations of rise an set to be based on

int UserRiseHour = 9;

int UserSetHour = 22;

#define forceseasoncalculation

static byte ssn , ssnp = 0 , ssnpt ;

long stime, wstime, vstime, wrtime, rtime, vrtime;

int wrhour,wrmin,wrsec,wshour,wsmin,wssec,rsec,ssec,vrhour,vrmin,vrsec,vshour,vsmin,

vssec;

int iDiffrise = 0;

int iDiffset = 0;

int risediffperday = 0;

int setdiffperday = 0;

int totalrise = 0;

int totalset = 0;

byte s=0;

int DaysPerYear;

//rise and set times set by hour and minute. there are 4 seasons however there are 8 highs & lows in rise and set throughout the year

//first spot is second half of winter starting jan 1st - DO NOT CHANGE

int risehour[8]= {

UserRiseHour+1,UserRiseHour+1,UserRiseHour+1,UserRiseHour,UserRiseHour,UserRiseH

our-1,UserRiseHour,UserRiseHour };/*{

7,7,7,6,6,5,6,6 };*/

int riseminute[8]={

00,30,00,30,00,30,00,30 };

int sethour[8] = {

UserSetHour-2,UserSetHour-1,UserSetHour-1,UserSetHour,UserSetHour,UserSetHour,UserSetHour,UserSetHour-1 };/*{

17,18,18,19,19,19,19,18 };*/

int setminute[8] = {

30,00,30,00,00,30,00,00 };

//

if (hour()==0 && minute()==0 && second()==0) ssnp=0;

#ifdef forceseasoncalculation

if (ssnp==0)

#else

if (hour()==0 && minute()==0 && second()==1 && ssnp==0)

#endif

{

//leapyear or not to define DaysPerYear - DO NOT CHANGE

if (year()%4 == 0 && !(year()%100 == 0 && year()%400 != 0)) {

DaysPerYear=366;

}

else {

DaysPerYear = 365;

}

//Call Day Number Calc to determin day ie december 31st on a non leap year is day 365 - DO NOT CHANGE

DayNumber(year(),month(),day());

//define days between beginning, middle and end of seasons high peaks - DO NOT CHANGE

int seasons[9] ={

0,45,96,135,187,238,283,328,DaysPerYear };

//define season and array pulling variable - DO NOT CHANGE

for (s=0; seasons < Ndays; s++) ssn = s+1, ssnpt = s+1, ssnp = s;

//set loop on array time pulling variable to go back to beginning instead of increasing array size - DO NOT CHANGE

if (ssn >= 7) ssn = 0;

//differece in seconds between two rise/set array times pulled - DO NOT CHANGE

long rise1 = calcSec(risehour[ssn],riseminute[ssn]);

long rise2 = calcSec(risehour[ssnp],riseminute[ssnp]);

iDiffrise = calcTime(rise1, rise2);

long set1 = calcSec(sethour[ssn],setminute[ssn]);

long set2 = calcSec(sethour[ssnp],setminute[ssnp]);

iDiffset = calcTime(set1,set2);

//calculate new sunrise/set difference from array value & last group of code - DO NOT CHANGE

risediffperday = iDiffrise/(seasons[ssnpt]-seasons[ssnp]);

totalrise = risediffperday*(Ndays - seasons[ssnp]);

setdiffperday = iDiffset/(seasons[ssnpt]-seasons[ssnp]);

totalset = setdiffperday*(Ndays - seasons[ssnp]);

//creating time in seconds for main sun rise/set number - DO NOT CHANGE

rtime=calcSec(risehour[ssnp],riseminute[ssnp]);

if (ssnp == 0 || ssnp == 2 || ssnp == 4 || ssnp == 6){

rtime += totalrise;

}

else {

rtime -= totalrise;

}

stime=calcSec(sethour[ssnp],setminute[ssnp]);

if (ssnp == 1 || ssnp == 3 || ssnp == 5 || ssnp == 7){

stime -= totalset;

}

else {

stime += totalset;

}

//These are the offset variables

// DO NOT CHANGE the operators in these equations ie +-

// The number is in seconds (1200) change this number to change the offset for each color

wrtime = 1200;//w r/stime is for Whites - shorter time span then blues

wstime = -1200;

vrtime = -1200;//v r/stime is for Violets - Longer time then blues

vstime = 1200;

//turning seconds back to Hours:Minutes:Seconds

ParsSec(rtime, hourfp, minfp, 0);

{

rhour=hourfp, rmin = minfp;

}

ParsSec(stime, hourfp, minfp, 0);

{

shour=hourfp, smin = minfp;

}

ParsSec(rtime, hourfp, minfp, wrtime);

{

wrhour=hourfp, wrmin = minfp;

}

ParsSec(stime, hourfp, minfp, wstime);

{

wshour=hourfp, wsmin = minfp;

}

ParsSec(rtime, hourfp, minfp, vrtime);

{

vrhour=hourfp, vrmin = minfp;

}

ParsSec(stime, hourfp, minfp, vstime);

{

vshour=hourfp, vsmin = minfp;

}

//This is the PWM Slope for each channel, each channel pulls an array value from above(hour,minute) to use, how you set them is up to you.

//Just always use a Rise hour in a Rise spot, always a set hour in a set spot ect ect

ChannelValue[LEDPWM0]=PWMSlope(vrhour,vrmin,vshour,vsmin,20,2.55*85,90,ChannelVa

lue[LEDPWM0]);

ChannelValue[LEDPWM1]=PWMSlope(rhour,rmin,shour,smin,50,2.55*90,90,ChannelValue[

LEDPWM1]);

ChannelValue[LEDPWM2]=PWMSlope(wrhour,wrmin,wshour,wsmin,65,2.55*95,90,ChannelVa

lue[LEDPWM2]);

ChannelValue[LEDPWM3]=PWMSlope(wrhour,wrmin,wshour,wsmin,50,2.55*90,90,ChannelVa

lue[LEDPWM3]);

ChannelValue[LEDPWM4]=PWMSlope(rhour,rmin,shour,smin,20,2.55*85,90,ChannelValue[

LEDPWM4]);

//ChannelValue[LEDPWM5]=PWMSlope(Sunrise[1],Sunrise[2],whSunset[1],whSunset[2],0,1

00,180,ChannelValue[LEDPWM3]);

}

}

//End Seasons Calculation

//Calculators for Seasons function

long calcSec(long hr, long minu)

{

long totalseconds;

totalseconds=(hr*3600)+(minu*60);

return totalseconds;

}

long calcTime(long seconds1, long seconds2)

{

long timediff=abs(seconds1-seconds2);

return timediff;

}

void DayNumber(unsigned int y, unsigned int m, unsigned int d)

{

int days[]={

0,31,59,90,120,151,181,212,243,273,304,334 }; // Number of days at the beginning of the month in a not leap year.

//Start to calculate the number of day

if (m==1 || m==2){

Ndays = days[(m-1)]+d; //for any type of year, it calculate the number of days for January or february

} // Now, try to calculate for the other months

else if ((y % 4 == 0 && y % 100 != 0) || y % 400 == 0){ //those are the conditions to have a leap year

Ndays = days[(m-1)]+d+1; // if leap year, calculate in the same way but increasing one day

}

else { //if not a leap year, calculate in the normal way, such as January or February

Ndays = days[(m-1)]+d;

}

}

void ParsSec(long int totalsec,byte hourfp, byte minfp, byte offset)

{

totalsec+=offset;

hourfp=totalsec/3600;

totalsec=totalsec%3600;

minfp=totalsec/60;

totalsec=totalsec%60;

byte sec=totalsec;

if(sec > 30) minfp++;

if(minfp==60) minfp=0, hourfp+=1;

}

//End calculators

I read the whole post and loved it btw. I am all about the DIM4 and any diy led project.

I am just wondering where you bought the "buckpucks" (as you call them - AKA. LuxDrive 1000mA BuckBlock) and how much did they cost?

I also noticed that you said they scale differently when dimming. How did you get around this?

Thanks

-Ben

Ledsupply

And I use buckblocks and flexblocks

The scaling differently between each stand is because of the Vf and Vdrop difference. It can be fixed by changing the rise/set time so the slope starts sooner then later on the analog DIM4, or by using a PwM controller and having the slow start where the lights come on.

• 2 weeks later...
Milad, Deckozz is going to test out those cheap moonlight LED's from rapid LED on the Dim4 do you think they will work?

BTW, Deckozz where do you get that acrylic from?

Lowes will cut it for you,they will also cut glass. home depot will not. :angry:

Haha yea Lowes and Mr go glass are my acrylic jump off..home depot doesn't even have a glass cutter..meh

So I did a led vs t5 comparison over the tank yesterday

LED -1.2 white balance -0.7dots exposure

HDR5mp.jpg

T5 w/6500k,ultra blue and two 420nm purple plus -1.2 white balance -0.12dot exposure

T5hdr.jpg

While the led might look dimmer its actually about 3x brighter and needed a lower exposure so it didn't look over exposed. The color difference is very noticeable as well as the actually output of light

T5 no white balance or exposure adjustment

IMG_20120222_172015.jpg

Led with no adjustment

IMG_20120222_172132.jpg

The last two pictures are obviously over exposed and no where near the in person look. Where as the first two are a good representation of in person except the brightness of the leds

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Haha yea Lowes and Mr go glass are my acrylic jump off..home depot doesn't even have a glass cutter..meh

So I did a led vs t5 comparison over the tank yesterday

LED -1.2 white balance -0.7dots exposure

HDR5mp.jpg

T5 w/6500k,ultra blue and two 420nm purple plus -1.2 white balance -0.12dot exposure

T5hdr.jpg

You should post this on the full spectrum LED thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...94733&st=20

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good call on the 18 guage speaker wire. I was thinking about using that for my build as well. Also think I got the same bigg molex connector that you did.

Thanks guys ;) .

Yea drew I used 22ga from led to led and 18 from led to driver. I will note that every once in a while I'll get cross banding because the shielding on the 22ga is almost non existent . When I do an update to the fixture soon. I will be replacing the 22 ga with shielded 22ga speakerwire to eliminate the electronic

magnetic current jump from crossing two mildly shielded wires

Archived