Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mac's Aqua Illumination SOL Biocube 29

TheMac86

WELCOME TO MY BUILD

FTS 1/3/12

photo2-4.jpg

Specs:

Lighting: Aqua Illumination Sol fitted into stock hood with two Silent X fans from RapidLed, also the AI unit controller mounted in cabinet

Filtration: Tunze 9002 Skimmer; Media Rack from InTank

Circulation: Maxijet 900, Vortech MP10es, Koralia 425 nano

Media: BRS granulated Carbon, BRS GFO, Purigen

GUTTED( Everything marked with yellow paint needed to be shaved off to fit the system)

photo5.jpg

A hole was created for the AI unit fan

photo2-3.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

LET THERE BE LIGHT! :D 50% power!!!

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

Pfffft, what is this over kill you speak of... :ninja:

Got ventilation for the heatsink right? Be weary as it'll get mad hot inside that canopy now if you get up past 50%

Perhaps measure out the fan size & vent that out so the AI fan breathes & a few slots of the heatsink to release the hot air.

Just some tips! Good stuff though

Thanks for the tips, Its overkill at 80% and up...those lights are bright as hell as I am sure you are aware of. what do you run yours at?

I plan on installing upgraded fans from Rapid LEd that should fit right in. Hopefully heat is kept at a minimum.

Page 1 @ the bottom of post 1 I list my settings.

I may have to copy and paste your settings as I plan to have the same live stock.. By the way, excellent tank.

SouthFlorida_Tron
I may have to copy and paste your settings as I plan to have the same live stock.. By the way, excellent tank.

Acclimate slowly, even if the corals come from another tank, start at about 20%

I would also be very weary of running that inside the hood and so close to the water.Heat, condensation, salt creep, and intensity may all be an issue running it like that.

Most setups AI recommends 8-12" above the water. Also start lower on intensity as advised.

Why didn't/don't you just get an AI SOL Nano?

The heat issue and condensation worries me too. I will measure the amount of heat created and see if it is too risky, if so, I will be submitted do going open top. I got the 12" because I was going to run it on a bigger tank but complications caused me to go with the bc29. But I can always use this for a larger setup if needed.

qualitycontrol

I was running an AI sol over a 45g cube, and they don't get as hot as you think. Yes there will be heat but try and figure out a way to have two fans flowing in and around the light, one positive pressure, one negative pressure and you will be fine!

Here is a little update. Got the fans in today and installed them and have them both fanning inwards. Used Velcro to place the controller inside. Next, i just have to tuck a few wires underneath the cabinet and drill the hole on top of the hood for the AI unit fan to release hot air.

here are some photos:

photo2-2.jpgphoto12.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks, I can't wait to see your new light setup.

The unit runs very cool with no heat issues, in fact, its running so cool that the AI unit fans don't have a chance to kick on.

• 1 year later...

Hey what's up? i am curious about how the heat is in your hood with the AI sol.does it heat the water up in the tank? also has the fixture itself given you any trouble? thanks!

• 11 months later...
Hey what's up? i am curious about how the heat is in your hood with the AI sol.does it heat the water up in the tank? also has the fixture itself given you any trouble? thanks!

Also looking for this answer, im debating retrofitting a radion or an AI sol into my hood.

Archived