SaltCritters.com

jcastle's picotope

jcastle

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PM a moderator if you spot one around, or post in the site support forum.

ok thank you!

i didn't realize until just now that the picture in your sig is a gif...i still don't get it though haha

got some corals in from Mr. Coral today...i'm not satisfied but i'm not dissatisfied. i ordered star polyps, blue, red and striped mushrooms, zoas, and something that looked cool but idk what it is....

so the blue and striped mushrooms fell off the plugs..the blue one still was holding on to a little piece of rock so i glued him back. the striped was just floating free in the bag attached to nothing and that's a bit frustrating lol superglue isn't good enough for that situation so he blew around the tank, thank god he didn't go in my filter or powerhead, and he found a crack to sit in and he's still there so hopefully he sticks himself there.

the star polyps look pathetic...after about 6 hrs in the tank only two heads popped up.

the zoas are ok i guess, out of about 6 or 7 heads only 3 and a half are open but they look cool

and the unidentified one is fine.

so i'm not completely disappointed but we'll see how it turns out...i might just stick with buying from the LFS from now on

I'll take pictures soon and post them

Well, don't be disappointed yet. Those poor little guys have had quite a journey. Give 'em a break.

If you piss off a mushroom enough, it will detach from whatever it's on. Now is the time for you to learn to attach a mushroom! It can be a little frustrating. Here are a couple tips...

Supergluing a mushroom is usually an exercise in futility. When you handle them they produce so much slime, you'll never get them to stick. Where does all of that slime come from?

Pick up some bridal veil netting from a fabric store. Secure the mushroom where you want it to be, or to a piece of rubble just tight enough to keep it from blowing around. Give it a week or two to attach.

Some people put them in a small container or shot glass with rubble in the bottom and put a net over the top of that to keep them from blowing around the tank.

I had some luck lightly rubber-banding a mushroom to a small rock. Apparently the rubber band was too tight and cut the mushroom in half. No worries, it attached both halves and now I have two mushrooms! Bonus!

A little more barbaric, but also worked for me. I stabbed one loose mushroom that detached from it's perch by stabbing it through the top with a toothpick and stuck the toothpick into the live rock. It attached, I removed the toothpick and it healed up nicely.

I have a small zoa colony that is just starting to open after two and a half weeks. Give them time. They've been traumatized.

Anyhow, they've been through a horrible experience in shipping. They need time to relax and heal up. They're live creatures that live in the ocean attached to rocks, not in a plastic bag, crashing around in a UPS box for 24 hours. Give the poor guys a break. And I suspect you'll be happy as they all get acclimated and happy.

Also, on a regular basis, I'll have two or three zoas that are closed up at any given time. They just do that. I have some larger pallys that closed up three days ago and haven't opened yet. Dunno why. Don't care. They'll open when they want to.

This will be a good learning experience for you :-)

Can you post a picture of the unknown coral?

Yeah i will tomorrow, i'm not at home now. setting up for the new years party!! gonna get nuts! lol

GSP is often shy when stressed. It can take several days to 2 weeks to recover after being introduced to a new tank.

i'm going to hold you to that lol jk thanks!

so i had some stuff laying around and a 2.5 gallon tank so i decided to put something together....so i built a little 2.5 AIO tank to put next to my bed...i'm going to use the compact fluorescent light that came with the picotope for lighting and i used a small powerhead that i bought years ago for the return. also a small 25 watt heater. i have about a pound and a half of dry rock to use and some sand left over from the 3 gallon pico in this thread....what do you guys think? should i make a new thread for this little guy?

very nice! Im actually in the process of making the exact same thing :lol:

We just want a picture of the unknown coral... :o

lol i'll get it don't worry

very nice! Im actually in the process of making the exact same thing :lol:

it was really easy to put together

what's this?

post-70302-1325291693_thumb.jpg

The mushrooms! the red one looks amazing the other two look nice but i had to tie them down right before i took the picture so they aren't happy lol

post-70302-1325291705_thumb.jpg

GSP and cool looking zoas

post-70302-1325291718_thumb.jpg

Islandoftiki

I can't quite tell from the picture. The frag is very small. Does it have little short tentacles that come out at night or when you put some food in there? If it does, it could be a brain coral maybe. Favia or Acan?

That red mushroom looks very similar to the one I got a pair of. I now have five of them. They're a good producer.

Same goes for the other mushroom, also looks similar to mine, and it split within the first two months.

Nice Zoas. Now, get all of those corals off those ugly frag plugs and glue them to your live rock.

there are flea looking things that i believe are copepods or amphipods and two of my eagle eye zoas are completely gone and i see them on the coral....my mushrooms are looking misshapen too...are these little guys eating my coral? it looks like they are since they are on or next to the coral.

Islandoftiki

Generally pods don't eat healthy Zoas. It's possible that some became damaged or injured in shipping and the pods are just doing their janitorial duties. However, it's possible that you could have one of the less common pods that eat Zoas. That said, all of the info I could find regarding them was entirely anecdotal--as is most of the info regarding these type of things.

If something is eating your Zoas, it could be zoa eating nudibranchs? Did you do a freshwater or iodine dip on your new corals when you received them? New corals always seem to come with unwanted hitchhikers. Or you could have gotten some on your live rock.

All of my corals from time to time tweak out a little or scrunch up weird.

Archived