SaltCritters.com

jcastle's picotope

jcastle

Did you figure out something for the light? If not check out my thread for a easy diy conduit light fixture. Lookin good so far. Can't wait to see it stocked.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you figure out something for the light? If not check out my thread for a easy diy conduit light fixture. Lookin good so far. Can't wait to see it stocked.

i have a par38 bulb in an arm lamp. i used zip ties to secure it in place so the weight of the light doesn't pull it down into the tank. and i took the shade off so it can vent properly. worked out pretty well! thanks for asking!

that sucks man... i've always received things that have been broken/defective/incorrect. my luck i guess haha. gives you more time to plan things right :D

yeah it happens...it is what it is, no point getting upset about it haha

i got the ac30 filter which i know is a good brand and filter.

Much better idea!!! You will have great success *Borat accent*

oh and BTW @marc3lo19....i just looked at your tank....IMO perfect. lol it's amazing, for me you created the perfect tank

Hey thanks for that!

Just a suggestion: remove the shade on your light fixture. These PAR bulbs vent heat out the side.

+1 I lost a PAR bulb like this because I didn't know any better

i'm getting there! i'm just trying to get my heater to work right in my mixing bucket. damn thing says it's 78 in the water but it's actually about 88 haha i'll get it soon tho and then i'll have some pics when i get the rock and water in the tank for CYCLING! du du du

i'm getting there! i'm just trying to get my heater to work right in my mixing bucket. damn thing says it's 78 in the water but it's actually about 88 haha i'll get it soon tho and then i'll have some pics when i get the rock and water in the tank for CYCLING! du du du

I have yet to find a heater with a reliable thermostat. The Reefkeeper Lite is performing flawlessly to keep the temperature +/- half a degree Farenheit.

The heater in my freshwater Fluval Spec at work is set to 79 degrees but keeps the water right at 70 (fortunately that's where I want it). I hate internally regulated heaters.

I have yet to find a heater with a reliable thermostat. The Reefkeeper Lite is performing flawlessly to keep the temperature +/- half a degree Farenheit.

The heater in my freshwater Fluval Spec at work is set to 79 degrees but keeps the water right at 70 (fortunately that's where I want it). I hate internally regulated heaters.

this heater is doing the opposite haha i have it at around 70 and the water is 78 perfect, but i went to my LFS today to look at their "premium live rock" at 11.99 a lb.....premium my ass! they were covered in apitasia, bubble algae, hair, red slime, and brissleworms.....so i'm either going to order it or take a little drive to another place i know of in the area that has good rock but terrible service lol

post-70302-1321577151_thumb.jpg

post-70302-1321577164_thumb.jpg

i decided to fill her up haha i took the powerhead out of there because it was way too powerful so i used a really tiny one i had in a box from the past lol

nice ficutre for the PAR bubl

are those cds on the door?

those are indeed cd's lol cd's i haven't touched in probably 10 years lol

so i've decided to buy live rock from premium aquatics and i'm trying out that Real Reef live rock, you know that man made type, i'm curious about it and it was cheap and clean so we'll see how it goes.

premium aquatics is online?

yeah they are online and they are only one state away from me so shipping isn't that bad. plus i contacted them after i ordered it and asked if they could choose smaller pieces of rock because they are going in a 3 gallon pice. the guy said that wasn't a problem and he'd personally pick them out because he just set up a picco. so i'm hoping that he picks some good pieces out for me since he knows what i'm dealing with haha

Real Reef live rock, you know that man made type, i'm curious about it and it was cheap and clean so we'll see how it goes.

Dude this is not the time to try and save money

This LR is going to the base of your whole tank

I would go out to the LFS and buy the highest quality LR you could find. It wont be too much$$ --> you dont need too much

You could hand select the pieces and I dont think any man made stuff will ever compare

just my 2 cents

the LFS had the worst live rock i've ever seen lol this stuff is cheap because it was made by man and not pulled from the ocean and shipped all over. it's 6.99 per lb which is only a little bit cheaper. it's also bio active like the real liverock is. i'm also thinking of getting a tiny piece from the LFS for extra seeding but apparently it's not necessary. i appreciate your opinion don't get me wrong but i researched it and read what others have said about it before i bought it.

hey

just my 2 cents but you seem to know what your talking about

I haven't done / heard of the rock your getting

best of luck

Iv seen some pretty ####y live rock at LFSs as well

post some pics when the rocks get there - now i'm very curious :)

the LFS had the worst live rock i've ever seen lol this stuff is cheap because it was made by man and not pulled from the ocean and shipped all over. it's 6.99 per lb which is only a little bit cheaper. it's also bio active like the real liverock is. i'm also thinking of getting a tiny piece from the LFS for extra seeding but apparently it's not necessary. i appreciate your opinion don't get me wrong but i researched it and read what others have said about it before i bought it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is also my experience that LFS's have the ugliest, most pest infested and expensive live rock going. Of the two respectable LFS near my house one charges 9 dollars a pound (they used to charge 11...) for majano infested live rock with barely any coraline growth and the other only has LR that they get from people breaking down their tanks and it is also pest infested and usually the ugly florida rock that is just round balls of concrete. Good luck with the man made stuff. Going green is always a good option, I went with the BRS reef saver stuff and it is pretty amazing.

yeah i figured it would be a good experiment. i'll keep the post updated with the rock and maybe if it's good people will use this more than the LR taken from the ocean because it's a little nuts how much rock we take from the natural ecosystems just for a hobby. i think the pros of this stuff outweigh the cons and it's just an all around better choice, financially and environmentally

been cycling for almost a week. here are the parameters.

Nitrite= 0.5 ppm

ammonia= 0.25 ppm

PH= ~8.1 having a little trouble with the PH its been going up and down

Nitrate= 10 ppm

Specific gravity= 1.023

temp= 78F

so far the cycle looks like it's going fine other than the PH.

any comments?

Archived