inTank Media Baskets

-JDKs Rimless Biocube 29-

JDK

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the FTS in the front left corner you can see the flat rock that I plan on removing to make room for the acan garden. Gonna do it tonight then do a waterchange. Will post a new pic once the sand settles.

lwr41.jpg

Ok so front rock has been removed. Made a world of a difference. Much more open in the front. Plenty of room for a rainbow acan garden which is the goal! Purple torch arrives tomorrow as well as a Forest fire digi frag.

Speaking of acans........ Just ordered a frag pack from Reef Odyssey

Pics of Frag Pack:

8xllzp.jpg

25k32fk.jpg

2mquagz.jpg

qskq2t.jpg

More frags from ebay. Should be here thursday

Nuclear green mushroom

ndok8g.jpg

Psychadelic blue mushroom

fy28gw.jpg

Superman Acan

2z69zwl.jpg

Nuclear Prism Favia

yhugi.jpg

Aussie Duncans

24pm0ya.jpg

Teal with red mouth Acan

121y25l.jpg

Metallic Orange Yuma Ric

4h5g1f.jpg

Purple Yuma

2njaka9.jpg

Inferno Acan

2mdht8y.jpg

Crazy Acan

vdih47.jpg

Grape Drink Acan

ruprpt.jpg

Wow, someone has a LOT of coral attaching to do in the near future. Quart of superglue and half pound of putty ought to handle it!!

Those frags look great! Hope they arrive safe and sound.

Question for you...how are the 2 hydors working out? Do you have them on the same channel on your RKL or separate channels and staggered by a half degree or so? I'm in the process of setting my tank up, and after running the pump during my leak test, I'm afraid the Jäger 100 I originally intended to use won't stay submerged in chamber 3...so I have 2 50w hydors on the way.

Thanks!

-Gravy

Wow, someone has a LOT of coral attaching to do in the near future. Quart of superglue and half pound of putty ought to handle it!!

Those frags look great! Hope they arrive safe and sound.

Question for you...how are the 2 hydors working out? Do you have them on the same channel on your RKL or separate channels and staggered by a half degree or so? I'm in the process of setting my tank up, and after running the pump during my leak test, I'm afraid the Jäger 100 I originally intended to use won't stay submerged in chamber 3...so I have 2 50w hydors on the way.

Thanks!

-Gravy

Actually most of my frags lately have been acans and they are going on the bottom of the tank in the sand bed. I do have a huge bottle of super glue for the other stuff though.

Currently running an MP10 ditched the hydor a few weeks ago.

Currently running an MP10 ditched the hydor a few weeks ago.

Meant the Hydor 50w heaters. You mentioned in one of your posts that you ditched your Jager 100w in the display tank for 2 50's in chamber 3. Was curious how you had it hooked up to your RKL (single channel, or two?), and how it was working out.

Meant the Hydor 50w heaters. You mentioned in one of your posts that you ditched your Jager 100w in the display tank for 2 50's in chamber 3. Was curious how you had it hooked up to your RKL (single channel, or two?), and how it was working out.

Oh yeah forgot about that. Yeah I switched to 2 fifty watt hydor theo heaters. The temp probe is in the first chamber. Heaters are hooked up to individual modules and in the 3rd chamber. Both are set at 77 on the RKL. Have the actual heater thermostat set to 80 so they kick on and are not relying on their own internal thermostat because I dont know how acurate those actually are. Temperature is constant never moves more than .1 degrees.

I like having 2 heaters that are 50 watts as opposed to one 100w heater for protection. If one heater fails the other is still there and can keep the tank from dropping too low. Also if one heater sticks on it is not enough to cook the tank.

New pics:

FTS

1zl6c60.jpg

Acan Corner garden

105trfc.jpg

Acan 2

fqk2a.jpg

The red Acan in this picture is no longer red. It is a pale orange and neon green color. This was an wild caught acan

Razzle Dazzle Chalice

2pplhjp.jpg

Eyes in the Sky Chalice

b85rtw.jpg

The yuma in this pic has melted away and died

• 5 weeks later...

Should be posting some updates and pics in the coming days.....

Some things along the way....

Switched to a Hydor SlimSkim on NaturalReef's recommendation and I have to say I am loving it. Much better quality and skimming than the Aquaticlife. It is also DEAD Silent unlike the aquaticlife. Had to chop up the first chamber's rim to get it to fit but its in there. Dont know why I ever wasted my time with the mini 115 I should have just got the hydor day 1. All of my wild caught Acans have changed colors. The reds and blues will just not hold. The reds turn to orange and the blues turn to yellow. I have tried shading them and putting them in caves nothing helps. The only acans that have held their colors are the aquacultured ones.

Have also had some losses........

Lost 2 heads of my purple torch and there is only 1 remaining. I was moving some rock around and it fell over and I think I damage the tissue. Within a few days one head dissolved away leaving an empty skeleton. A few days after that brown jelly began to form on the other so I pulled it to avoid it spreading. Before it died the tentacles got all shriveled and scraggy looking then it was all down hill. I can not for sure attribute its death to the head falling over on the rocks it may have been the flow. I had some pretty strong flow on one side which I think may have been a factor as well. It seems very gently flow is important not so much for the tentacles but for the skeleton. There is a fleshy ring that runs around where the tentacles meet the skeleton and I believe the flow caused the tissue to recede. Bummer.

I also lost my nuclear green mushroom. I woke up one day and it was no longer attached to the plug. I looked everywhere but can not find it. It may emerge one day somewhere.

Lost both Yumas from Reef Odyssey. A purple and blue one and my favorite the Neon orange and purple. The both dissolved after being very healthy from the moment they went into the tank. They opened up very fast and seemed great. No Idea why this happened. No other coral has flat out died in my tank. They first began to bleach out then just melted.

I also lost my occellaris clown who decided to do some carpet surfing. When I first installed the hydor slim skim it raised the water level. I did not realize at the time but water was so high it was overflowing into the rear chambers over the false wall! The hydor is such a tight fit that the flow was restricted too much. I had to remove every other tooth from the overflow and cut the rim of chamber 1 to remedy the problem. I partly attribute the death of the clown to the high water level. He/She loved to come to the waters surface and eat out of the turkey baster. The day before it carpet surfed when the water level was still very high. I found him in the middle chambers fuge. Put him back into the tank and the next day he jumped the main display. I still have yet to build the black acrylic box to cover the chambers and skimmer or the clear mesh net top. I need to do this ASAP. Either of these two things would have been of benefit and may have prevented his death.

I have sold off lots of frags I bought and narrowed my collection down to the ones I really like.

Things I have added:

Fish:

- Black and White Ocellaris

- "Vivid Fancy" Ocellaris (cross between a Fancy O and a Wyoming White O)

- Yasha Goby

Corals:

-Ora Pearlberry

-Ora Red Planet

-Tyree Pink Lemonade

-Garf Bonsai

-Rasta Zoas!

Have been looking for these Zoas forever I love them. By far my favorites of all time.

Will be posting pics in the coming days.......... Hopefully with an acrylic box and clear mesh lid built ASAP

Red Sea Reefer

Sorry to hear of your losses. Your build helped inspire me to go topless/rimless. I'm haveing a black acrylic "sump" cover made locally for $70. Have plans for an acrlyic cover with 1/4 inch holes to aid in evaporative cooling but am concearned with moisture absorption and sag. I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a cover.

Sorry to hear of your losses. Your build helped inspire me to go topless/rimless. I'm haveing a black acrylic "sump" cover made locally for $70. Have plans for an acrlyic cover with 1/4 inch holes to aid in evaporative cooling but am concearned with moisture absorption and sag. I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a cover.

Yeah it sucks but considering how many frags I have a few losses is to be expected.

The black box I am bulding will only be a rectangle that covers only the rear chambers. Hoping it will help cut down on the evaporation and light spill from the fuge light. My ato resevoir goes through almost 5 gallons a week. It will also hopefully give my tank a cleaner look and hide the skimmer cup which sticks up out of chamber 1.

The mesh top is going to be the tough one. I have plans in my head and made a template of the top of the tank. It will be made out of clear acrylic rod and clear mesh from BRS. Should look like a totally clear window screen.

Fancy ocellaris and Yasha goby came in and look great. Anyone looking for fish online should order from aqualifeaquarium on Ebay. The guy is fantastic. He has GREAT prices and very healthy fish. 100% feedback on 420 transactions.

SPS frags came today from procorals.com

-Ora Red Planet

-Ora Pearlberry

-Tyree Pink Lemonade

-Garf Bonsai

Have a question.... Two of the frags had come off the plugs during shipping. I superglued them back on before I dipped them in Rx.

It looks like the lower part of the Garf and Ora Pearl are a little white. The two that remained on the plugs are colored all the way down and encrusting look fine. Should I be worried about the two that came off? Is the white mean that the tissue coming off?

Nice tank.

Could you give some details on how you made that light arm?

It is bent conduit from home depot. Check the AquaIlluminations club thread I posted a bunch there. Also think I posted it in NaturalReefs mounting arm for biocube HQI thread. Both in the lighting forum.

New fancy ocellaris is doing great. Has not eaten yet but I figure it will take a little while until he is comfortable. Still have not seen the yasha goby since I put him in the tank. Probably hiding in the caves somewhere. Also the Nuclear green mushroom that detached from its spot and disappeared has emerged! Found him in the corner today. He must like this spot so I will just leave him be:

Nuclear Green mushroom is BACK!

1fajdk.jpg

Time for some pics of the new additions:

Starfish on glass

34qu2zd.jpg

Starfish hanging out with Razzle Dazzle chalice

s2xxev.jpg

Fancy clown and Black and White

5u0pkn.jpg

Fancy clown 2

34zk75i.jpg

More Pics:

Frag Rack frags

b715kx.jpg

3 sticks- Red Planet, Garf Bonsai, Pearlberry

5me4nt.jpg

ORA red planet

apipmf.jpg

Rastas, Tyree pink Lemonad, Blue Hornets

97ik5j.jpg

Rastas

1zvbdjd.jpg

Red Hornets have doubled! Toucans behind them

2r2u8go.jpg

Acans

jsy7v6.jpg

Fire Shrimp Cave

20kas2d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still running the same lighting schedule on your AI Nano. I just installed mine. I haven't been home for a full day to watch the cycle but it seems low on the intensity end.

Are you still running the same lighting schedule on your AI Nano. I just installed mine. I haven't been home for a full day to watch the cycle but it seems low on the intensity end.

No I changed my lighting schedule. Once I added the acros and mounted them where I wanted them I dropped the lighting down to acclimate them. Basically I started low and have been increasing 5% across the board every 7 days.

W/B/RB

10AM- 30/35/40- (180 minute ramp time)

7PM- 0/4/4- (180 minute Ramp time)

4AM- 0/0/0

Basically the sun comes up at 10AM and reaches the peak at 1PM. It holds there for 6 hours and then ramps down til 10pm (sunset). Lights go off at 4 am

It got too crazy with all the different ramps and times so I am trying to simplify it. This way I can monitor the new SPS frags very closely as I ramp up the times. Second increase is tomorrow at which point I will be at 40/45/50. I have seen no signs of bleaching at all. Most of the frags have browned a little since I got them 2 weeks ago but I am hoping as I increase the light over the coming month or so the color will come back.

This thread was very helpful for me check it out:

http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2109573

Acros Mounted: (from left to right) Red Planet, Pearlberry, Garf Bonsai, Tyree Pink Lemonade

ebcwfr.jpg

Archived