Top Shelf Aquatics

-JDKs Rimless Biocube 29-

JDK

Trying IO Natural Nitrate Reducer this week. My Nitrates were 100+ after my cycle a month ago and I have slowly brought them down to about 25 with skimming and water changes. I have read really good reviews about this product and decided to give it a try. Will post updates on this product in the coming weeks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is looking great Joe! I have been using the IO Natural Nitrate reducer with excellent results...Nitrates were 20ppm after cycle and are now down to < 5ppm after 2-3 weeks. The polymers fall into every crevice and onto the sand keeping everything super clean.

I also noticed small white pods that I did "not" add to my tank. There is literally an explosion of them. I guess pod eggs can withstand long periods of drought:) The Pukani is great for them to hide and reproduce in. My mandarin is going nuts, his stomach is huge! lol I'll try to get some pics soon. I love my AI nano more and more each day. The color and shimmer is simply beautiful and to think I'm only using 18 watts is pretty incredible.

Trying IO Natural Nitrate Reducer this week. My Nitrates were 100+ after my cycle a month ago and I have slowly brought them down to about 25 with skimming and water changes. I have read really good reviews about this product and decided to give it a try. Will post updates on this product in the coming weeks.
I also noticed small white pods that I did "not" add to my tank. There is literally an explosion of them. I guess pod eggs can withstand long periods of drought:) The Pukani is great for them to hide and reproduce in. My mandarin is going nuts, his stomach is huge! lol

I would love to add a mandarin but was afraid I wouldn't have enough pods. I try to look for them at night but never see any. I ordered some with my CUC from reefcleaners.org. Guess I have to look harder. Pukani rock is def a great breeding ground.

Mushroom eating a mysis shrimp:

9062rt.jpg

Snail stealing the leftovers:

29nzbti.jpg

Tank is looking great Joe! I have been using the IO Natural Nitrate reducer with excellent results...Nitrates were 20ppm after cycle and are now down to < 5ppm after 2-3 weeks. The polymers fall into every crevice and onto the sand keeping everything super clean.

Thanks brother... Everytime I buy a product your right there saying you are already using it and it works great.... Always one step ahead....Haha :lol: Just like the Dr Tims and Bio Spira. Maybe just once I will be the guinea pig :D

I was adding a bottle of pods once a month to ensure his survival until I found out he was eating pellets that dropped onto the sand. I started feeding my plate corals some pellet food by dropping it on them and saw my mandarin go over and feast on the pellets. I have had him for over a year now and his belly is huge. If you decide to get one, find one that will eat prepared food. I have been feeding my tank Reef Bugs and this is when I noticed the pod explosion.

I would love to add a mandarin but was afraid I wouldn't have enough pods. I try to look for them at night but never see any. I ordered some with my CUC from reefcleaners.org. Guess I have to look harder. Pukani rock is def a great breeding ground.

Mushroom eating a mysis shrimp:

9062rt.jpg

Snail stealing the leftovers:

29nzbti.jpg

I was adding a bottle of pods once a month to ensure his survival until I found out he was eating pellets that dropped onto the sand. I started feeding my plate corals some pellet food by dropping it on them and saw my mandarin go over and feast on the pellets.

What kind of pellets?

I have heard people having luck with Fauna Marin. I have their LPS pellets and their Ultra Zoa powder food and was thinking of getting their fish pellets for my clown.

I have been using Ocean Nutrition's Formula 2 Marine pellets for a while now and everything in my tank goes crazy for them. It has Spirulina in them which my midas blenny, coral beauty and mandarin all love. Highly nutritious.

Just grabbed the latest copy of Coral magazine(fav mag) and they feature the mandarin. It really has become my favorite fish. I caught my cleaner shrimp giving him a good once over and am pis#ed I missed a photo opportunity. I can't wait to stock this tank up! I keep seeing your new coral additions and you are ahead of me there:) Awesome zoas and chalice! You seem to be having a good experience with the ebay seller... Keep this thread moving:)

What kind of pellets?

I have heard people having luck with Fauna Marin. I have their LPS pellets and their Ultra Zoa powder food and was thinking of getting their fish pellets for my clown.

I also noticed small white pods that I did "not" add to my tank. There is literally an explosion of them. I guess pod eggs can withstand long periods of drought:) The Pukani is great for them to hide and reproduce in. My mandarin is going nuts, his stomach is huge! lol I'll try to get some pics soon. I love my AI nano more and more each day. The color and shimmer is simply beautiful and to think I'm only using 18 watts is pretty incredible.

+1

Thanks.... I will pick up some of those pellets. The clown did not eat for over a week after I got him but he is eating now. Loves the selcon soaked mysis.

So far I have used 3 ebay sellers. Reef_pets and Tidalgardens which are local and offer pick up. Both have had great deals and 100% WYSIWYG auctions with no reserve and 99c starting bids. I highly recommend them to anyone. The last frags were from happyreefing in oregon and shipped just fine. The pics in the auction were not quite accurate with the biohazards and sunsets but I kind of expected that. I only ordered them to get free shipping I really only wanted the hornets. He sent 5 polyps of hornets instead of 3 which is what I ordered. Overall though the seller was really nice and everything arrived on time and recommend him as well.

The IO nitrate reducer is an amazing product. I was at 25 for nitrates on Monday and today I am at 10. Nitrates were dropping about 10% with every water change for the last month but after IO its down much more with no waterchanges. Really impressed with this stuff.

Dont have a chalice I think you are seeing the "picasso" mushroom maybe? (rhodactis? not sure species type)

I have been using Ocean Nutrition's Formula 2 Marine pellets for a while now and everything in my tank goes crazy for them. It has Spirulina in them which my midas blenny, coral beauty and mandarin all love. Highly nutritious.

Just grabbed the latest copy of Coral magazine(fav mag) and they feature the mandarin. It really has become my favorite fish. I caught my cleaner shrimp giving him a good once over and am pis#ed I missed a photo opportunity. I can't wait to stock this tank up! I keep seeing your new coral additions and you are ahead of me there:) Awesome zoas and chalice! You seem to be having a good experience with the ebay seller... Keep this thread moving:)

Also check out Reef2Reef I am a member there as well. There is going to be a live sale there on Monday on the WWC thread. It is a 24 hour live sale within the thread. They are going to post a frag every 5 mins for really good prices. Flat 40 shipping. They have some seriously crazy frags. I checked out the thread from the last 24 hour sale they held and I was truly amazed.

Awesome! I don't know why I said Chalice, must want one badly:) Anyhow, I forgot to mention to take a turkey baster and blow your rock's crevices before every water change. This in addition using IO NNR chopped my nitrates down to almost zero.

Over on another forum the guys at World Wide Corals held a live 24 hour sale. Frags went up in their sponsor forum thread and you clicked on the link to buy the frag. First person to click and checkout on their website won! Here are a few frags I won that will be arriving in the next week or so.

Pandora Palys

34o58w6.jpg

Rainbow Acan

156vi9y.jpg

Rainbow Monti

f5215z.jpg

RazzleDazzle Chalice

e9uonb.jpg

Moonshine Chalice

b85zdj.jpg

Jason Fox PPE Cyphastrea

xfxj89.jpg

Little worried about adding the Monti frag since I have some type of green growing on my rocks. Cant figure out if it is algae or green coralline. Will post some pics for help with the ID asap. Nitrates are about 5-7. Gonna do a water change Thursday and Sunday and try and bring them to 0 before the frags get here. Also using Natural Nitrate Reducer.

Awesome frags man. Loving that Razzle Dazzle Chalice.

Thanks that and the Pandoras are my favorite. I have a lot of frags now and think I am going to sell a few zoas currently in the tank to make room for grow out.

The Pandoras looks pretty wicked. Actually they all look so colorful. Can't wait till they all grow out and cover your rocks. That AI nano is looking nicer everytime I go on your thread man. :D

Update:

First battle with a pest this week. Aipstasia. Found it on my safecracker zoas frag. Initially there was one head but quickly there was two. Luckily the frag was not mounted down yet. I removed the frag and scraped the little suckers off. They were not attached to the zoa rock just the frag plug. Hope this gets rid of them. They definately were hurting the zoas and the membrane stuff is totally receded between the polypls. There is no connective tissue left just bare rock and individual polyps. Hopefully it will recover but it is not looking too good. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet corals! I can't wait to see your tank fill out. You've got some really nice pieces.

I'm on R2R too. Just joined and got myself into the RO rising sun growout. :D hope it goes well. Buy in was a lil pricey.

Sweet corals! I can't wait to see your tank fill out. You've got some really nice pieces.

I'm on R2R too. Just joined and got myself into the RO rising sun growout. :D hope it goes well. Buy in was a lil pricey.

Thanks. Yeah I saw that growout thread. How much was it? How long do you have to wait before you get frags?

I also recieved my acan frag pack from AAF. Was supposed to be 3 ultra frags and he sent 4. Cant say enough good things about AAF and Reef_pets on ebay who used to be affiliated together. Great stuff and great prices.

Planning to change my aquascape a little bit. Gonna remove the flat rock from the very front left corner of the tank to make room for an ultra acan garden. The rock is so jagged it is making hard to attach acan frags and think I would be better off with placing them in the sand bed. Tomorrow is going to be a trip to the LFS for hopefully a Flame Angel or Blue Mandarin.

Archived