Cultivated Reef

-JDKs Rimless Biocube 29-

JDK

Nice! I'm thinking of housing chaeto in chamber 1. The hydor seems to work better in Cham 2 which takes up my refugium space. Most owners dont use chamber 1 for anything important anyways so why not throw chaeto in there!? What do you think?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! I'm thinking of housing chaeto in chamber 1. The hydor seems to work better in Cham 2 which takes up my refugium space. Most owners dont use chamber 1 for anything important anyways so why not throw chaeto in there!? What do you think?

If you can contain the chaeto and light it seems like it would be fine. Problem with a skimmer in chamber 2 is that the water level constantly changes. Chamber 2 was not an option for me I have the media basket in there and the CPR Nano reactor running GFO and Rox Carbon. The nano reactor is the best thing I have done for my tank yet. My water quality has never been better and the acros are loving it.

To be honest I mean I really like the hydor slim skim. It is without a doubt better than the aquaticlife. However I feel it is still kind of a waste. I have tons of acros and need very clean water. The skimmer is ok but I really believe it is no better than frequent water changes. I have had the aquamaxx running for 48 hours now and it is amazing. I have no doubt it will pull out as much crud it 2 days that the hydor pulled out in 2 weeks.

Red Sea Reefer

Im about ready to pull the trigger on the aquamax. I have a cover for my rear chambers but would need another to accomadate the HOB. What height are you making your cover? How high can the collection cup be raised? Thanks for the updates.

• 2 weeks later...
Im about ready to pull the trigger on the aquamax. I have a cover for my rear chambers but would need another to accomadate the HOB. What height are you making your cover? How high can the collection cup be raised? Thanks for the updates.

Still working on the cover not sure yet. Collection cup can go up pretty high. I am pulling a pretty dry foam right now. If you go too low it is a very very wet skim.

If you have not bought one yet go on ebay and look for one with a "best offer" option. I got mine for 190$ shipped to my door. That is the cheapest I have ever seen it. Remember that the JNS-VS1 is literally the EXACT same skimmer as the aquamaxx hob. All parts and pumps are the same in every way just re-branded under a different name.

I believe the ebay vendor I got the skimmer from was "aquariumhotdeals" or something like that. PM me I will look up the exact Ebay vendor I got it from.

Red Sea Reefer

With the skimmer on the tank how high dose the collection cup sit above the rim of the tank when fully extended? Having a cover over the chambers is a must for me. Really cleans the look of the tank up. Keep us posted.

BTW: how is the leopard doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JDK can you give an update on how the Aquamaxx Hob is performing? Thinking of pulling the trigger as I'm not sure the Aquaticlife 115 is really doing enough.

JDK can you give an update on how the Aquamaxx Hob is performing? Thinking of pulling the trigger as I'm not sure the Aquaticlife 115 is really doing enough.

Like a champ. It is almost skimming too well. I have had to increase my fish load and feedings because I believe my nutrients are too low. Great skimmer dont hesitate to get one. Aquamaxx vs. Aquaticlife Mini is like a Kia vs. Ferrari

Archived