SaltCritters.com

Maestro's 7.5g Mr. Aqua Build

VtheMaestro

TheUnfocusedOne
Just ordered a custom ato system from autotopoff . com and some more rics from Coral Morphologic. The tank is shaping up.

You'll have to post pics of the ATO once you have it. I'm trying to figure out what to get for mine.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Nice stuff, can't wait to see it aclimated into your tank. Your tank is definately taking shape and one of my favorites to check in on and see what's new.

Nice stuff, can't wait to see it aclimated into your tank. Your tank is definately taking shape and one of my favorites to check in on and see what's new.

Thank you! It's good to see the whole thing become real. I hope everything I throw in there looks as good inside as it does online.

Any suggestions for a fish? I really like the flaming prawn goby but it's got plenty bad reviews for shyness. I'm after color and movement.

Stevie T's package just landed on my doorstep. I'm about to give it a rinse and install it.

Obligatory unboxing pics. I'm very impressed with Intank's packaging.

6327959612_3eea20a105.jpg

6327211367_1cc731b55f.jpg

AC70 Media basket, submersible fuge light, big tube of super glue

6327211955_827b535433.jpg

Media basket up close. *pats Stevie T on the back* Well done, sir.

6327962266_42dbf6a7b5.jpg

Today's goodies from Coral Morphologic chilling in the Finnex HOB fuge I raved about. Glad I put them in here first, 2 asterina stars hitched a ride on my frags.

6327208707_fa94165cec.jpg

The start of my pico coral collection, all courtesy of Colin and Jared.

6327958492_ace33217b0.jpg

god i feel like im falling behind on the 12 cube race :P

No race lol. The best tanks take the most time. I just skipped my cycle because I pulled live rock and water from an established system. I'll probably pay for it in the long-run though. we'll see.

TheUnfocusedOne

How much flow do you have going through that fuge?

I'm thinking I'm going to use my old AC70 as a fuge, and mod my AC50 for chemical filtration. This seems like an interested alternative, though it's a bit big for my taste.

Just curious, where are you hosting your pictures? They're filtered out by my work.

How much flow do you have going through that fuge?

I'm thinking I'm going to use my old AC70 as a fuge, and mod my AC50 for chemical filtration. This seems like an interested alternative, though it's a bit big for my taste.

Just curious, where are you hosting your pictures? They're filtered out by my work.

I have the ac70 set for good surface agitation, moderate flow through the tank, and quiet impeller movement. Slow flow through a fuge is the general consensus, but my thinking is that dwell time and contact with biological/chemical filtration is less of an issue with such a small body of water. I assume that the light and available nutrients will grow the macros without having to sacrifice flow and tank space occupied by a powerhead. The tank has only been up for a week and the light for only a day so the results remain to be seen.

Also, more attractive macros are being grown inside the display, so the chaeto in the fuge chamber is more of a novelty than a necessity. I'm really just trying to support the site's sponsors and provide a good example for other upcoming reefers.

Sorry about the pics, I host them on Flickr because it's a one-step process from my photo app (camera+ for iPhone). I hope you get to check them out from another ISP besides work.

Depending on the size of your tank, I think the ac70 and ac50 impeller with the right media basket mod will be more than enough. Half of a chamipure bag and a 2 teaspoon pouch of chemipure fit well in the bottom chamber of the intank basket. I'm all about the aesthetic, so the less stuff hanging off my tank - the better. I want it to look good and work well, not look like a fish geek's science project. Lol

I love all the unboxing pictures, well done. The tank is so sexy even with that temporary light stand. Enjoy the basket and glue

Wow that fuge is awesome! That's exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for, thanks!.

Yeah, definitely. By far one of the coolest inexpensive things I've ever found in this hobby.

I love all the unboxing pictures, well done. The tank is so sexy even with that temporary light stand. Enjoy the basket and glue

yeah, its the poor man's Stevie T's Red Sea Max experience. lol

I will.

No race lol. The best tanks take the most time. I just skipped my cycle because I pulled live rock and water from an established system. I'll probably pay for it in the long-run though. we'll see.

well i hope that mine is going to be good cus its taking awhile. :P but really im really in love with the light that you have. i might change what i have now. i really want something with a moonlight

Received my top off kit from autotopoff.com today. I'm using the single shield controller and the 1/2" nano bracket.

6333270758_7e8e8323fa_z.jpg

I dismantled the snail guard and removed the switch so I could paint all the visible parts. The rod that the float attaches to isn't painted black, I taped it off first.

(fuzzy pic, getting dark - no flash)

6332520331_dd74a46b3e_z.jpg

I plan to let the paint dry overnight then soak it in some salt water to help it cure a bit. I have to wait for the Aqualifter to ship so I'm not in a big rush.

I just set up my autotopoff system. My tank is finally at the point where I don't have to touch it besides filter floss replacement and water changes. :D

Still looking for advice on how to stock it. I'm looking for color and movement.

The pods are going wild in here. My mandarin would have a field day in here. I guess it's safe to say the tank is fully cycled .

I love the rics and the setup. Looks great so far.

thanks. your tank looks good too

how much was the overflow box from glazer? I'm planning on setting up a 7.5 pretty much the same as yours just with a boostled and a korlia nano. Thanks for posting you thread it's been very helpful!

how much was the overflow box from glazer? I'm planning on setting up a 7.5 pretty much the same as yours just with a boostled and a korlia nano. Thanks for posting you thread it's been very helpful!

last time that i looked they were 25. they can go up from there though

last time that i looked they were 25. they can go up from there though

yup

I paid 25.

Sounds like a sweet build. I hope i don't end up needing a powerhead, I like the clean look of the tank so far. I guess we'll see....

You're welcome. I wanted to give back in the same way that the forum has helped me. I'm glad my build was resourceful to you.

how you like the skimmer box? o and what you have in the ac70?

I like it so far. I got it so soon after setting up the tank and there's no livestock, so I'm not sure how much dirtier my surface would be without it. I'm still trying to fine tune it - even with the water level correct in the tank, the level in the box gets low and I can hear the filter suck up bubbles periodically.

Also, I don't like losing the vacuum that the stock tube creates in the back corner if the tank. The box causes skimming water from the top, rather than pulling detritus from the areas of the tank where flow is generally the lowest. I know this much -- I'd get rid of it before I dare stick a powerhead in here.

I run polyester pillow batting (filter floss) as my mechanical media. I have 1/2 bag of chemipure and a 2 teaspoon pouch of purigen in the lowest chamber for chemical filtration. In the top chamber I have some tiny red macros glued to a piece of rubble and a ball of chaeto the size of a marble anchored to a lead weight. I didn't want to put a huge wad of chaeto in there, I wanted to let a small one grow out to see if it's really working.

Nice FTS!

Autotopoff.com has a bunch more products on their site from the last time I checked. I need that snail guard.

thank you. iphone 4s ftw.

yeah. the new snail guards are way more attractive than the old pvc tube style

Archived