Pod Your Reef

Streetsong's pico-de-guy-o

streetsong

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I'm going to pull the trigger on a Boost par30 lamp in the next ten minutes. Any final thoughts?

I don't think you will be sorry. :P

I don't think you will be sorry. :P

Unfortuately, there is a 2-3 week wait on these lamps. For this price, I'm going to wait it out.

Not a lot to report but I am planning on building my overflow box/standpipe and drilling this tank hopefully tomorrow. I decided to stick with the boost par30 bulb. Once I get this tank wet, I have a stunner strip that I can use until the bulb arrives.

I say you try it! If it works, great, if it doesn't, go back to the drawing board and try another route until you find the one that works! Goodluck with the contest!

I like it. :happy:

It needs a sump....

The lack of a light on the bottom, is weird to me.

jmo.

The 2.5 AGA on the bottom will be the sump/refugium. I am going to move the PC light included with the tank down to the sump. I'll post new pics once I get all of the mods done.

What an awesome idea for a stand and light!

Thanks, I am excited to see if I can hide the par30 bulb inside the canvas. I think it will work.

Thanks, I am excited to see if I can hide the par30 bulb inside the canvas. I think it will work.

Hope so, I'm all ready to steal the idea for an office tank! ;-)

So I've decided what my ultimate goal for this tank will be: To spend under $1,000 and still be married at the end of the contest! :D

Anyway, I am going to drill the bottom of this today and paint and add my plexiglass divider on the side (not the back) of the tank for my overflow. If I can get that completed today along with adding my standpipe and pvc for my return, I'll be in great shape. I am off to the Home Depot. Pics to follow!

Also... I just bought a used JBJ ATO for this tank!

Okay, now that I just posted that I am still planning on building an overflow compartment inside the tank, now I'm rethinking it. I am worried that it will just take up too much room. Would it be possible to build a standpipe that is behind the tank with just the "u-shaped" part in the water. (Very technical, I know.) For my return, I could just drill the back. Any thoughts?

I went to Lowe's and this is the bit that the guy recommended that I use for acrylic. For some reason, I don't trust him. Will this work or no?

post-45694-1321064505_thumb.jpg

I went to Lowe's and this is the bit that the guy recommended that I use for acrylic. For some reason, I don't trust him. Will this work or no?

post-45694-1321064505_thumb.jpg

It is probably used to score, then snap the acrylic. Yeah it works if you score the acrylic enough.

It works well on glass at least.

surgicalsense

It says for glass and tile.... would that be to strong for acrylic? But, if you drill on a slow setting it might be okay. I am sure I am wrong.

surgicalsense

I have my own drill set with so many bits and blah, blah.... however, I have never drilling into acrylic. But, I can imagine the texture of the material and how the bit would respond with speed.

Do you have any acrylic laying around you can do a test run on?

... if that made any sense :blink: .... hahahaha!

More to follow- Just painted the back, put acrylic sheets to divide the sections of my sump and mounted a stunner strip underneath the lamp as a temporary light solution until my par30 arrives.

Archived