Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Pico: Fashionably oops!

metrokat

Ill use it all not to worry guys.

Guppy how did you cut out the lid parts? Were they smooth?

I used a "Fat Max" cutting tool....it uses razor blades that are about twice as thick as normal ones and it let me cut right through the little edges that remained.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FTS Nov 2, 11

IMG_20111102_180510.jpg

Livestock

Kenya Tree

Unknown Paly

Hidden Cup Corals

Clams

Spaghetti Worm

Bristle Worm

Scarlet Hermit Crab

Edit: 1 dwarf cerith

i like where this is going

@newman Well, whadyano. I received a baby blue asterina star as a hitchhiker on my kind midas zoas today. :lol:

It is far too tiny, hope it survives. Looks like either the first or 3rd picture you posted.

its blue? I would be interested in getting a few of them from you once you have more than you can handle :P

they are elusive, but eventually (a few months from now) they will multiply to the point where there will always be some visible in your tank. they like to hide in the rocks too.

Will they multiply? This one is so little Newman.

asterina stars are tiny lol that's what makes the good pico inhabitants. and they multiply like mad once they find the best source of food.

Though an individual can grow larger than that. one of my orange spotted asterinas is decent size right now. biggest asterina i've seen so far. but still they are about 3/4"

they eat off glass and rocks and other surfaces but not really sand. if you get algae growth and coralline growth any where in the tank, they'll be eating off those surfaces. i don't think that little guy will starve once your tank gets established.

say, if he does attack you corals, can i take him off your hands lol?

But seriously, the starfish might eat corals if it likes them or prefers them to other food sources.

The orange spotted asterina i have (which originated from one individual in my picotope back when i first put in my LR) happily ate random stuff off my tank walls for a bout 6 months and then happily moved on to my zoas, multiplied like mad and proceeded to make zoas one of their primary foods. that said they still didn't make much of a dent in my zoas, they just really made me angry when they ate my "generation" zoas. i had only two polyps of those and one asterina took them out in a day. after that i proceeded to remove all of them into another tank...

i like them more now though, and wouldnt mind if they ate some of my faster growing corals like GSP.

The orange spotted asterina i have (which originated from one individual in my picotope back when i first put in my LR)

Can 1 individual reproduce itself?

yes that's how i ended up with well over 40 of them -_- (gave all those away and now have 1 left, but i think that one budded once so now i have two)

What they do is grow a few extra legs (more than 5) and then split into two starfish and the two halves heal back up. some echinoderms can do this including cucumbers (pj68's cucumbers have multiplied)

You can start with one individual and then wind up with many. this is what they do when they don't have two different sexes in the same tank. i think they can breed sexually as well if two different sexes are present but i bet that's a lot less successful in tanks since they have a microscopic larval stage.

Most starfish do not hold their young until they develop into miniature stars. serpent stars might be the only ones hat possibly could do it but i'm pretty sure they too just only hold the fertilized eggs until they hatch and then release the larvae.

@newman! I'm coming home loaded with 2 more stars! I bought a couple of zebra hermits and the store guys gave me 2 stars, one has blue the other has orange!

@FI hehe

Edit, it happened again! I was showing them pictures of my BC14 and the pico and they went "man you're geekier than we are". :@) they cracked up at the shoe pic.

Archived