Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Pico: Fashionably oops!

metrokat

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re: Asterinas

Kat, Kgoldy & I are all in the NYC area. Newman, would you be willing to sell us some of these colored asterinas?

you misunderstood, I only have two types of those right now lol. Most of those are from google images, and one really nice type is in Enigma's tank. I'm looking forward to getting some of his asterinas someday.

I think I'm going to start collecting them once i setup a real pico for them. I know that sounds stupid but i'm starting to like them a lot more than i used to.

you misunderstood,

Yeah, I did misunderstand. Read "pest" and thought you had lots, but hey, maybe there's a market if you propagate.

If I ever get any, they'll be named Twinkle . . . .

i did have lots of my white asterinas with the neon orange spots (pictured) but i gave the majority away to a friend already...I have just one big one left now. I hope it lives lol. I also have a small amount of the regular gray asterinas too.

Once i start that IQ3 pico for them (I think i'll go with that as my choice) I bet I'll have lots of them multiplying :)

Asterina's are tough (at least the gray ones). I had like 5 of them living in my neglected basement QT for about 9 months. Some LR, no filter, no powerhead/flow, no light, no heater, etc... When 1/2 of the water in the tank evaporated I thought for sure that they would have been killed by the high salt concentration. A few weeks ago I started prepping the QT for a new fish and dumped in a bucket of cold water. They're still alive, and I think they've multiplied too.

Oh, and nice tank. all these walmart picos are making me want to start a new tank... But I really shouldn't.

Did you tighten up that lamp yet? Not to be all "the sky is falling" BUT, I was worried I'd break mine too and ended up batting it over the back the back of the tank to keep it from falling in to the tank.

After that fun time, I tightened it up and so far so good. FWIW, that lamp can also take a 4 foot drop while bouncing against a wall...

the lamp seems to be fine now, the lid is still not quite flush. The parts that I cut out to fit the filter and light still have a little do-hickey piece sticking out, the instructions did not call for a dremel. but what is the alternative.

the lamp seems to be fine now, the lid is still not quite flush. The parts that I cut out to fit the filter and light still have a little do-hickey piece sticking out, the instructions did not call for a dremel. but what is the alternative.

Try a heavy duty nail file. The kind that resembles sandpaper or a light weight metal file more then something you'd want to use on your nails. It's a trick a model builder introduced me to a few years ago.

oh. hmm. i think i might have to dremel, i don't have this fancy cutter thing

Have you thought about a pair of heavy duty nail clippers???????????

Ill use it all not to worry guys.

Guppy how did you cut out the lid parts? Were they smooth?

I cut mine with a saw. Not sure what they call it but is like a wire stretched between two arms. It might be some kind of tile saw. Oh heck, I don't know I just grabbed it and it worked. Sorry I could not be more specific.

Oh and yes they were very smooth.

:rant:

Did you already remove the cut-outs? If you did and you have little nubs, just snip them off with a pair of nail clippers.

Here's an idea for cutting or cleaning up your cuts-

Butter knife that you don't mind throwing out and candle or stove-top. Wear baking gloves, the heat may sneak up the knife after a while, and very suddenly. A razor may work a little better, but it'll be harder to keep hot.

Thinking out my stocking list aloud. As always looking for a jolt of color.

The rock I have already nice and purple, OR go with the white tonga branch which over time will turn colors

Pink goniopora (not sure if my light will be enough)

yellow polyps

nuc greens

something orange, maybe a tunicate? sun coral?

neon green something, maybe a toadstool? trumpet?

I was thinking of a small bright colored fish.

Sun coral (or dendro [which I like more]) would be great in this tank since spot feeding would be a breeze. And my nukes should be ready for ya by the frag swap, they're starting to get a lot better looking.

Also got some purple gorgonian- again, easy in a pico since you can spot feed.

Archived