Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Pico: Fashionably oops!

metrokat

that would look interesting. but try to get the kind that encrusts the rock. its a really compact, low-lying type that's even more impressive that normal pom-pom xenia. There is another type of xenia thats pink and grows scrawny polyps on a longer trunk, stay away from that, it looks lame =/

For xenia i'd either do this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2366

or definitely this:

and btw they may be the same type lol, i don't mean to make a big deal out of it.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Builder Anthony

theres also pink sand but i think a pink background is a little overboard.Coraline on the glass in the back is a differnt story.to mix it up a little pink and purple looks good

I walked away to watch Once Upon a Time, etc. and came back to nr to see I really started something here. Sorry, Kat :lol:

Mike...the photo of the goldfish tank with the pink background is fantastic. The pink looks even better than I imagined it would.

Maybe I should take my ideas and get in on this contest :)

I am going barebottom for this tank as a matter of fact Woogalie, :bowdown:

you called it.

I am concerned about natural filtration. The rocks I have in mind sure don't weigh 4lbs. With no sand and maybe 1-2 lbs of rock I have to seriously re-think some options or figure out some add ons.

yeasss...... I was wondering about the same thing myself. Not a lot of room for any DECENT kind of natural filtering.

I had an idea last night. I may get a big AC30 or 70, whatever fits, but I may try to hang the Rapids power filter on the back of a NEW bigger HoB filter. Run a bunch of chaeto in it maybe? I have some wild kelp im gonna try to grow.

Lunch time, TTYS Kat

you could get away with 2-3 lbs of rock here, or as much as you can comfortably fit in there...

just go light with stocking then,maybe use macros, and you should be fine.

barebottom is probably the way to go on these. Someone else mentioned (can't remember who) that they weren't using sand because of the scratch issue with the tanks. Hey...with a "barebottom" tank you could come up with a fun thread title to make us giggle. Sorry, my mind is still in the gutter when I read some of them :D

Hold on, Girlfriend! PinkDamsel was PINK before you was pink!!

But that's OK, we don't mind spreading the pink around, and didn't someone say pink is the navy blue of India? :)

My coralline is pink, not purple, pink, and if you like I can grow some on a frag for you. It's a magenta-pink color.

Alas, pink corals turn dull or brown in my tank, not sure why, maybe the light spectra. :tears:

Too bad the royal grammas are too big for these picos.

I'll enjoy watching this tank evolve, pink or otherwise.

Yes Miss Pink, you indeed were pink before I declared myself in the pink ring. You can grow coralline on a frag? Yes please! thank you so much.

The pink mat is just a teaser, plus i have to protect that table the pico is on. Not even sure if that table will stay. I do have to paint the back of the tank because the purple wall is a distraction.

In researching the life and requirements of a pico, i am now again in two minds about this contest. i travel far too much and sometimes for weeks. If i cannot do a weekly WC, dosing, etc, I simply cannot have this tank unless it is plumbed to a fuge/sump. So i am still researching the best way to do this, or I will have to throw in the towel. :(

I have left my pico for up to a month while i was away. it will do fine as long as you do the water change whenever you are around it. plus if you stock it with hardy species (non-coral) that don't require much feeding from you, then it will be even more self sufficient.

this is dumb. 3 pages and not even any water? cmon kat i'm hoping you're the real deal here and you keep blowing it.

Water now! Or else we occupy you!

Don't sweat the rock - you can get by with much less than you think. Especially in picos because you should have a small bioload. Looks pretty sweet - and I was expecting a crazy micro build with Emaco and pebbles to create a coral princess castle! Minimalist is nice...

Don't sweat the rock - you can get by with much less than you think. Especially in picos because you should have a small bioload. Looks pretty sweet - and I was expecting a crazy micro build with Emaco and pebbles to create a coral princess castle! Minimalist is nice...

John! how are you? it might still be a crazy build, i still have some emaco from you left over....

Archived