Pod Your Reef

The Routemaster - slow build ...

castiel

Wow amazing tank - and good to see another Victorian on here! How do you find the stand for stability? I have one of those stands in the garage and it holds heaps of weight but it starts to twist easily as it gets loaded up.

I have to ask which LFS you use as those prices and corals are great, but I do agree most things in this hobby are overpriced here in AU.

I am actually a Pommie hiding out over there ;)

The stand is great, no worries with it really. It is on floorboards so can wobble a little if someone heavy footed walks very close by, but nothing major.

Reeflections and Mentone are my locals, but I also head out to a few others - Williamstown, Fish World (Dandenong), Bunarong (Frankston) - all decent places with slightly different strengths. And some of the acans came from Reef Secrets up in QLD, shipped overnight for $20. Check them out on Facebook, particularly on Sunday nights. And check out 'the reefuge' too, you'll find a crapload of Victorians and other Aussies on there, but less nano-focused :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love your acans. Sorry about the crab. By the way, that species of porcelain crab is not always associated with anemones. The species associated with anemones are... Neopetrolisthes ohshimai. Petrolisthes galathinus lurks in rock crevices and stuff.

I really want your acans. You will given them to me now... I do jedi mind trick on you...

L

• Like 1

Reeflections and Mentone are my locals, but I also head out to a few others - Williamstown, Fish World (Dandenong), Bunarong (Frankston) - all decent places with slightly different strengths. And some of the acans came from Reef Secrets up in QLD, shipped overnight for $20. Check them out on Facebook, particularly on Sunday nights. And check out 'the reefuge' too, you'll find a crapload of Victorians and other Aussies on there, but less nano-focused :)

Thanks for that - I have been getting my salt water from Reeflections and must admit I do have a membership but never got around to going to any BBQ's a it is a bit of a drive for me, an hour on a good day, but its no real excuse :P . With coral like that I might just have to!

I love your acans. Sorry about the crab. By the way, that species of porcelain crab is not always associated with anemones. The species associated with anemones are... Neopetrolisthes ohshimai. Petrolisthes galathinus lurks in rock crevices and stuff.

I really want your acans. You will given them to me now... I do jedi mind trick on you...

L

Ah thanks, good to know about the crab. Definitely a shame, but I love my pistol so can't be mad at him too long.

Better put my foil hat on ...

Thanks for that - I have been getting my salt water from Reeflections and must admit I do have a membership but never got around to going to any BBQ's a it is a bit of a drive for me, an hour on a good day, but its no real excuse :P . With coral like that I might just have to!

Yeah I get all of my saltwater and RO from them too - can't beat $2/25l!

• 4 months later...

Been a while - but all is going well with the tank, cramming more SPS in there all of which is growing very well.

Had to come share this pic of my goby which came out great from my phone cam!

IMG_20130519_174714.jpg

Also not in great focus (will get a better one soon), but new FTS:

IMG_20130512_192034.jpg

• 2 months later...

Been some time since I updated on here, so quick catch up :)

- Watchman goby jumped :(

- Removed one side of the arch (the caulerpa just kept coming ...)

- More SPS

- More Zoas

Really happy with the tank right now. Only minor pain points to resolve are:
- Need the frag racks out!! Sick of looking at them now (all 3!) ... I may see how one rack is on the back wall if it fits, but otherwise need rid.
- Caulerpa algae still popping up here and there, and as the SPS grows it's harder to get the algae out.
- A couple of aiptasia have popped up, must get the Rx out
Most pics a bit bigger if you click them. I corrected the blue out ... hopefully got them reasonably natural looking if perhaps a little saturated.
Oh, I cleaned the glass but got impatient waiting for the crap to clear - so apologies for the floaties in the pics wink.png
Left
vRaPvVV.jpg
Right
Mz6Wvl9.jpg
End
sTWRgRv.jpg
Zoas
G79gD2b.jpg
More zoas including CDU Tutti Frutti
0YCWmn5.jpg
Acans etc
opNlhyu.jpg
SPS tower
hFbitBh.jpg
di8khZL.jpg
SPS & chalice
km0ZhiM.jpg
Forest Fire Monti
s0bdNNB.jpg
My new favourite tank inhabitant - the gold stemmed fungia
F3mFyLU.jpg
Button scoly that was all but dead after an Acan encounter, finally looking good (the other still doesn't look great)
zec8aiG.jpg
Highlighter and Dallas base
NymoQNz.jpg
Green birdsnest. One of three in the tank now ... wish I had room for more, would love a full 'garden'
xA5HuPe.jpg

That big table a Hyacinthus? I love it.

I believe so :)

Has darkened and lost a bit of its pink hue under the glare of the Radion, but still pretty.

When I got it:

IMG_20130512_192146.jpg

Now:

ZOlWiE8.jpg

Archived