ReefCleaners.org

The Routemaster - slow build ...

castiel

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Story of my life ... over promise, under deliver.

New estimate is early October :P

But! I did make progress. Including a messy silicone job on the sump (hopefully the seals hold), and 80% of the stand cladding done. Need to sand and repaint it (my spraypainting looks awful, drips everywhere), bolster it (bit flimsy right now) and make the catches at the end sleeker/more invisible (idea is you slide the three sides out, leaving the back piece behind) ... but it's getting closer.

IMG_20120917_185213.jpg

Then final steps:

- drill light stand and hang the Radion

- cut the pipes to size to finalise the plumbing

- set up and get wet

If my hashed attempt at siliconing the sump had worked my tank might have been wet this weekend. Alas it leaked like a mofo, so it now has enough silicone to seal water world but needs another 7 days to cure.

I think everything else is ready to go, including the light:

IMG_20120922_182410.jpg

IMG_20120922_182419.jpg

Trying to decide where to place my mp10 ... same side as teh return, or opposite?

IMG_20120922_182442.jpg

:lol:

looks killer. To bad bout the seals, she'll get there in the end.

Also no idea on mp10, though I did just move mine and was a 100% improvement you will prolly just have to mess around with it.

:lol:

looks killer. To bad bout the seals, she'll get there in the end.

Also no idea on mp10, though I did just move mine and was a 100% improvement you will prolly just have to mess around with it.

^This. Finally getting there! It's going to look very nice!

A little snug in the return section, but I think it will work out. The phosphate reactor was going to hang on the back, but the damn huge Radion power brick is taking up its space. Luckily it all just about fits.

IMG_20120930_110647.jpg

Which means the heater ended up in the other side ... just.

IMG_20120930_110702.jpg

What's that? Water?

IMG_20120930_110636.jpg

IMG_20120930_140000.jpg

Despite my botch silicone job (which has a few small leaks), it seems to be doing the trick.

IMG_20120930_140008.jpg

First FTS:

IMG_20120930_141636.jpg

Now I just need to work out how to stop the overflow gurgling so loudly :rolleyes:

Your silicon job looks better than mine.

Nice to see this progressing. I'll have to do some catchup reading as I don't see the sump display anymore.

L

The stand cover and therefore the display fuge got put on hold, because I was starting to get worried I wouldn't hit the <1year get wet date! So the stand still needs sanding, painting, and at some point I will take a dremel and cut a window for the fuge area. It will be a few months before it is worth looking at anyway I expect.

Beginnings of a scape ... remember that a large-ish rock will be going in from my other tank, I am thinking that it will go at the back with these two as 'islands'. The domed piece being covered in zoas, the pointy piece for acro (or ???). Acans, scoly, fungia perhaps on the sand inbetween.

IMG_20121001_181528.jpg

IMG_20121001_181537.jpg

IMG_20121001_181546.jpg

This is the rock from the other tank going in also when the cycle is complete:

DSC00293.JPG

Yay! omgomgomg.

What did you end up doing with the extra lengths of wire from the Radion?.

I had the same substrate until I moved, did you have trouble rinsing it ( took me anout 37 months to clean mine :lol: )

NewZealandReefie

Looking ####ing awesome Cas.

Keep up the good work. Nice to see someone 'doing it right' the first time round with decent equipment etc.

:happy:

Yer scape sucks.

Screw you.

=0)

What did you end up doing with the extra lengths of wire from the Radion?.

I had the same substrate until I moved, did you have trouble rinsing it ( took me anout 37 months to clean mine :lol: )

I just cut off the wire, left a finger length just in case I want to lower it at some point.

And yes I rinsed it for about 37 months too, and it still clouded the tank so much I couldn't see through it for 24 hours!

Looking ####ing awesome Cas.

Thanks! Still a ways to go with scape and stand, but starting to progress.

hypersnyper694788

Just read this whole thread. Awesome build! This thing is going to look great once you get it stocked. What fish do you plan on adding?

Just read this whole thread. Awesome build! This thing is going to look great once you get it stocked. What fish do you plan on adding?

Thanks!

Not sure yet. Top of the list is a YWG, which will hopefully pair with my yellow pistol shrimp in the other tank (if I can catch the bugger).

I might then choose a nice pair of clowns ... and/or a lawnmower blenny.

Initial focus will be on the corals to be honest =0)

Good to see this still coming together. The substrate is nice too, I love the varied sized with mine, more natural look to it.

hypersnyper694788
Thanks!

Not sure yet. Top of the list is a YWG, which will hopefully pair with my yellow pistol shrimp in the other tank (if I can catch the bugger).

I might then choose a nice pair of clowns ... and/or a lawnmower blenny.

Initial focus will be on the corals to be honest =0)

Im with you on the fish, cool goby pistol combo, some clowns for pretty and a blenny for algae control. Then all about the coral :D

Yup it sure does.

Haven't seen any sign of a cycle yet, 5 days in ... so I just dropped half a cube of brine shrimp in to see what that does. Would love to put some bits in this weekend but I think I will wait until next to be safe.

Yup it sure does.

Haven't seen any sign of a cycle yet, 5 days in ... so I just dropped half a cube of brine shrimp in to see what that does. Would love to put some bits in this weekend but I think I will wait until next to be safe.

You used some live rock yes?

Yar. The pointy hunk is live rock from the LFS, the domed piece was in my pico vase algae tank (was trying to grow racemosa ... then the wife unplugged the heater and I didn't notice for a few days until it was all dead). So I expected to see something of a cycle ...

IMG_20121001_181537.jpg

Archived