Pod Your Reef

The Routemaster - slow build ...

castiel

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep that's what I bought. I probably should have found some black tubing, but this was the best I could locate on the weekend while I was pissed off about the plumbing not fitting, haha.

Need to get the sump baffles sorted this weekend and pick up the Radion, then I should be able to get it wet and underway. Step after that will be sorting the stand.

Thats freaking sweet overflow. where did u get that?

Nevermind, Just read your whole thread.

Im excitied for you. This build is super slick.

Holy crap! Where did you get the DIY skills? I have no skills... I officially...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This'll be epic when you get this running.

L

Holy crap! Where did you get the DIY skills? I have no skills... I officially...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This'll be epic when you get this running.

L

I don't have any, which is why it has taken 9 months to get htis far, haha.

I don't have any, which is why it has taken 9 months to get htis far, haha.

It's STILL WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY better than me.

This one of the many, many reasons I adore having a Gustavo. In addition to being funny, smart, handsome, and engaging, he also formally worked in the Home Depot and has designed his own sumps, skimmers, and filters. :D I highly recommend that females get a Gustavo. Except my Gustavo, that one is mine, they cannot have that particular Gustavo. They can go find their own Gustavo...

I may pick up shrimpies today. Peter, where did you put the thread for the tank that replaced the picos?

L

Picked this up yesterday omgomgomg

(not my pic, too lazy to take one)

5HOsh.jpg

Hoping my fixture holds it okay now, though I don't have the hanging kit yet to try it out ...

chippwalters
Picked this up yesterday omgomgomg

(not my pic, too lazy to take one)

5HOsh.jpg

Hoping my fixture holds it okay now, though I don't have the hanging kit yet to try it out ...

I'm so jelly...I want one :-) Sweet!

IMG_20120722_131443.jpg

IMG_20120722_131449.jpg

(damn silicon down the side isn't holding paint ... so not sure how it will look)

Working out the sump design:

IMG_20120722_121518.jpg

Want enough space in the return section for another pump for the media reactor

IMG_20120722_121526.jpg

Which means the skimmer section with the Tunze has loads of room still

IMG_20120722_121617.jpg

Hoping this is enough space to fit a filter sock holder + sock

IMG_20120722_121652.jpg

The cardboard didn't quite end up the right size ... but I am going for two 'down' baffles, one up

IMG_20120722_121742.jpg

Is it overkill to have baffles on both sides? Figure I might as well given this design

IMG_20120722_121754.jpg

Thinking on the baffles etc (in mm)

Tank size (internal measurements) is 600x299x300.

Glass is 4mm thick, and assuming I get the same for the baffles (otherwise will adjust teh measurements)

Silicon - have assumed 1mm gap for silicon

Middle divider: 300x250

2x Baffle 1 (nearest the skimmer/pump - down) - 146x150

30 gap (1")

2x Baffle 2 (middle - up) - 146x200 (leaving 30 gap (1") at the bottom)

30 gap (1")

1x Baffle 3 (nearest the fuge - down) - 297x100 (so stretching full width across the tank)

Leaving a display fuge area cube of 300x300 (12"x12").

Don't know if that made sense to anyone but me, but hey ho =0p

Oh, and - drilled and fitted the light fixture. ####ed up the drilling a bit as I didn't have the right tools (used the diamond saw again and then chipped away with a screwdriver and box knife, hahaha).

Looking good to hold the Radion now though (with teh double bracket it's pretty solid). Not sure whether to paint this black too.

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00714.JPG

DSC00715.JPG

DSC00716.JPG

(need a smaller nut and bolt to go through the middle of the bracket)

My load test on the stand was my fat ass laying across the top of the stand and trying to sway back and forth - seemed solid enough so I am going with it, haha.

Congrats on the Radion, it is a sweet light!.

Over flow came out super slick man good ####. What is the texture on the painted side all about??.

And as for the filter sock holder could you just do the 9002 rsm magnet mod and put the skimmer on the adjacent glass??

IMG_20120722_121742.jpg

epic MS paint skills FTW

I agree with JR.

I'd move the Tunze to the adjacent side.

You should pickup more room for that filter sock & holder.

Also, don't you need your baffles to be higher to accomodate the operating depth of the skimmer?

It might be that I'm confused with your design, but it looks like you might not have enough depth.

I considered having the skimmer like that, ie sideways to how it is now, but was concerned it might restrict flow through that chamber. I can give it a try when set up though.

Baffles as shown yes they were way too small (realised that after I put them in).

Tank is 12" tall.

Okay so is this about right? This is sideview, so the same for both sections in effect.

2hhd5dx.jpg

IMG_20120724_193432.jpg

IMG_20120724_193408.jpg

IMG_20120724_193351.jpg

Didn't realise it had a temperature sensor too.

Also ...

IMG_20120724_193446.jpg

Hope I don't bust my mp10 replacing the bearings.

I considered having the skimmer like that, ie sideways to how it is now, but was concerned it might restrict flow through that chamber. I can give it a try when set up though.

Baffles as shown yes they were way too small (realised that after I put them in).

Tank is 12" tall.

Okay so is this about right? This is sideview, so the same for both sections in effect.

2hhd5dx.jpg

dont rotate the skimmer just move the magnet to the other side, piece of piss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

haha well I got disrupted by a short notice trip to Brazil for work. But I bought more paint today and will be painting the stand during this week, as well as siliconing the sump (again ... long story).

So I am predicting a get wet date of ... early September. Honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived