Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Routemaster - slow build ...

castiel

good looking tank. let get some water in that thing!

One of my good buddies just moved back to Melbourne, he talked it up pretty good. Im ready to move down there too!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I lied, I did stuff all on this at the weekend.

I am also thinking that I may want to re-do the stand so far to include dowel joints, rather than just the brackets I have right now. I feel it would provide more stability and therefore more strength.

Might get chance on Sunday to progress things - but no promises =0p

+1 on dowel joints

Well I spotted a 1 month old one of these on eBay, and as the price was some $80 less than new I decided to go for it.

MP10-ES.jpg

I figure that while I am dicking around with the stand, I'll buy a major purchase each month. Skimmer in December, LEDs in January. With the return pump, overflow box, plumbing, baffles etc thrown in inbetween.

Actually, here is what I am thinking.

60W CREE (like the Stark LED unit, but direct from eshinesystems)

+

Bubble Magus 3+ skimmer

+

Eheim Compact 1000 return pump

+

either Glass Holes Nano Con Dientes (if I decide to drill) or Lifereef Nano (if I decide not to drill)

Sweet snag on the MP10! B)

How is shipping from China to Australia?

I've bought a few things from places over there and courier they have all used (and I assume is the only company) is ridiculous shipping. It's something like $16 for the first 500 grams and $6 for the next 500 and so on. The 60w light weighs like 7kg. Just a heads up.

EMS is the shipping company.

OCReef is now selling that light for $299, and I guarantee their shipping is cheaper.

Yeah shipping can be expensive. I think I was quoted $60 to ship the light here, but given the light is only $195 it's still a lot cheaper!

Oh wow, that's sweet B) a lot cheaper!

Just wanted to make sure you were away of outrageous shipping then I realized you were probably used to expensive shipping due to your location. Here we whine and moan if shipping is more the $10 :lol:

Cool concept! It reminds me a lot of what I did with some 12G Long tanks. Sadly that set-up didnt last too long since I was gifted a fully stocked 75G.

Looking foward to seeing more!

My mp10 arrived omgomgomg

But it's not an MP10ES :(

It's an MP10wES omgomgomg

The eBay ad didn't state as much, but it seems I got an even better bargain than I thought.

Now just need to get my stand and tank finished so I can use it.

My mp10 arrived omgomgomg

But it's not an MP10ES :(

It's an MP10wES omgomgomg

The eBay ad didn't state as much, but it seems I got an even better bargain than I thought.

Now just need to get my stand and tank finished so I can use it.

It probably said 'w' in the Northern Hemisphere.

:lol:

HAha. Now I realise the 'w' doesn't mean I can do anything extra with it right now (no Radion or second mp), but I guess it still adds to resale value or provides future functionality.

Part of the reason I bought it was to give myself a kick in the arse to get this moving again. This weekend ...

• 2 weeks later...

So this build just got slower. We have decided for sure to move house in March (we are renting), so I figure there is little point setting this up fully before then only to have to move it.

New plan is to finish the stand, sump, and have all the necessary equipment ready for the new house. 3 months.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What's this? Progress? Well ... a little. My idea for a stand worked perfectly (garage shelving).

IMG_20120404_203131.jpg

IMG_20120404_203145.jpg

IMG_20120404_203159.jpg

IMG_20120404_203258.jpg

IMG_20120404_203319.jpg

At some point I plan on 'cladding' this with board so you won't see the shelving itself, jigsawing holes on the front and each side so that half of the sump/fuge is visible.

Did you swap out the particle boards with something else? I have a shelving like that but not used for aquarium but I'd be afraid to put a tank on it regardless of what they rate it at.

No, I was planning on keeping the shelves provided. The shelves are rated for 250kg/550lbs each so I figured they were plenty strong enough for a 17G tank!

The shelves may be rated for that kinda weight, but I can assure you that particle board will not hold up with that weight, especially when moisture is introduced. Another reason I would switch to real wood is so that you can have the corners fully supported. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I just don't like the looks of it. Just my 2¢ take it as you will. Looking good so far. GL

I realised I had some wood pre-cut almost exactly to the right size, just need to trim a few inches off the end. So I will take your advice on replacing the particle board =0)

Trying to commit to my overflow/skimmer/return set up. So far am thinking:

- Oceanlife overflow (like siwelk has) - just waiting to hear from Oceanlife whether I can buy directly from them

- Reef Octopus Vortex 300 skimmer

- Reef Octopus Wave Blaster 2000 return - rated at 1900lph which is around 500gph.

Is the return overkill? I noticed that siwelk has a Eheim rated up to 3000lph so +50%, but he also has a tank double the size of mine!

Cost for those three is just over $500 so waiting for pay day.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress continues.

IMG_20120426_142748.jpg

IMG_20120426_142814.jpg

Light stand is just wedged in the back at the moment ... will either be clamped there, or a hole drilled in the shelf for it to go through (depends on how the overflow drilling in the shelf ends up.

IMG_20120426_142757.jpg

Also, order is being placed for this shortly:

oceanlife-overflow-300x164.png

And this:

Vortex-_300_FS1-500x500.jpg

And then this:

Water_Blaster_Product_10000.jpg

Archived