inTank Media Baskets

Maeda tells it like it is..

Maeda

I said I probably wouldn't, but what the heel. I've got nothing better to do today.....

If water parameters look great, is a water change REALLY a must? I've read that some start Nano's and NEVER do water changes, only top off's. Is that good?

I have a 10G nano started about 32 days ago. I do weekly 3g water changes but was curious to know if I could let that go say 2 weeks?

What you don't see on those tanks is the longevity. Hell, I saw a 600 gallon tank, cared for the same way. Come down after a year or less. IMO, if you run a low to moderately stocked tank. Doing 3 gallons every other week wouldn't be much of a problem. However, every tank is different.What corals you stock will more appropriately determine your maintenance routine.

Ill post a question in here that I didn't think was thread worthy but did have a convo with my lfs about.

So I have an 8 gallon with ac70 fuge. I want an o clown and a small goby. I was thinking ywg or clown goby. My lfs said id be able to add both (three fish) as long as I waited inbetween ifadding because the fish are so small. I have found other tanks on here to support this idea (10 gallons with 2 small fish and. VeryI small fish).

Is this a dumb thing to try say a few months down the road? I m completely cycles 3 months in with happy corals and shrimp so that is no concern although im not completely matured yet so adding fish will be slow. 2 week ac then 2u weeks inbetween adding fishif not more

There is much to take into consideration when stocking fish in a reef. You not only need to consider the fish, it's size, it's needs. You'll also have to consider the corals and other inverts, their needs. While I'd advise you to err on the side of caution. I have myself run somewhat overstocked tanks.

First off, 3 months in is nothing. The tank hasn't even truly stabilized yet. I'm also going to guess that this is your first reef tank. Both are things you'll need to truthfully address with yourself. I'd guess that neither you, or your tank are ready to handle that kind of stocking.

Next, you consider these fish small. While that may be true in relative terms. In accordance with your tank size, they aren't. An Occy can grow to around 4". A YWG can also attain a size of 4+". While one of each of those fish can be done in a 10, you are considering adding a 3rd to a smaller tank. Sure, it can be done. However, it's not done easily. Are you willing to invest the time, effort, and money in order to do it right?

Now consider the needs of the corals and other inverts in the tank. They are far more sensitive to water problems than the fish are.

Why do people call zoanthids aka zoas ZOOS?
I've been doing this for quite a while. I call them zoo's. Why? It's just easier for me. Why do you call an Amphiprion percula a clownfish? Or, a Nemo, or perc, for that matter?

As a side note. I started typing this about 3 hours ago, then had to walk away from it. I'm probably a page late on these. I just don't care to bother to check anything.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm normally pretty tolerant of smart ass comments and some light hearted trolling, I won't be here.

First off, the beginners forum isn't the place for it.

Second, a knowledgeable and generally respected member is doing this for the benefit of you noobs.

Third, if anyone is going to be a smart ass here. It'll be myself, or some other vet who has earned it, IMO.

Consider yourselves warned. From here on out, I swing the stick.

Maeda,I have 2 Clowns ,a hawk ,coral banded shrimp,cuc an no coral yet.How often should I be feeding them.I have searched but really got no answer.Thank you an all the veterans for your time.

Thanking is nice. However it wasn't exactly necessary. It is appreciated, though.

Once a day is a pretty standard feeding schedule. It'll also aid in keeping water parameters in check. However, I've never kept a hawk. Never even looked into them. Perhaps they are more constant feeders like anthias or mandarin.

Thanking is nice. However it wasn't exactly necessary. It is appreciated, though.

Once a day is a pretty standard feeding schedule. It'll also aid in keeping water parameters in check. However, I've never kept a hawk. Never even looked into them. Perhaps they are more constant feeders like anthias or mandarin.

Thats what ive been doing,at least im doin something right.thanks again

Maeda,I have 2 Clowns ,a hawk ,coral banded shrimp,cuc an no coral yet.How often should I be feeding them.I have searched but really got no answer.Thank you an all the veterans for your time.

There are so many 'correct' answers to this one. I'd say you should feed as much as your maintenance allows for.

If you put nutrients (fish food) in your tank, you need to make sure you are taking out just as much.

I know people that feed 2-3 frozen cubes a day. I also know people that spoon feed individual flakes/mysis/etc. to a fish's waiting mouth.

Personally I find it easier to feed HEAVY every 2-3 days. By heavy, I mean feeding fish slowly until you see them spit their food out.

It IS appreciated, but there's no need for any prostrating or groveling here. No shame in being new or clueless or both.

I see your question and raise you another.

Are you sure he's actually taking in the food that's going into the tank?

I don't trust that a fish is eating unless I can watch them eat every single little bite. Many times they spit stuff out.

when you look at your fish head-on, is he still skinny looking?

I've had fish that don't put on weight even after 5,6,7 daily feedings, because they were spitting out their food...and if you can actually see them eating and they don't gain weight.. I would suspect a parasite and try prazi the fish.

I would also try the fish forum here or even RC for a better answer. This is potentially a difficult problem to solve, well beyond what id consider noobish.

thnx

im not quite sure what you mean by head on skinny, but is noticably skinnier than the ones at the fish store. sometimes he spits food out, but usually he does swallown, and you can se it in his gut.

thnx

im not quite sure what you mean by head on skinny, but is noticably skinnier than the ones at the fish store. sometimes he spits food out, but usually he does swallown, and you can se it in his gut.

Feed him more, and see what happens then I guess.. Just keep an eye on those nitrates and phosphates.

my nitrates and phosphates are extremely low...and i've been trying to feed my blenny more too.

i think he started getting tired of mysis...he loves bloodworms apparently, and brine. kinda spits back out the mysis lol.

If water parameters look great, is a water change REALLY a must? I've read that some start Nano's and NEVER do water changes, only top off's. Is that good?

I have a 10G nano started about 32 days ago. I do weekly 3g water changes but was curious to know if I could let that go say 2 weeks?

Just to add another comment, remember that you measure 9 or so chemical values in your water. There are MANY more things in the tank water, that we generally never look at. Many of those could be out of whack, causing long term issues over a period of buildup. Water changes are really important to longevity. Especially in smaller systems.

Ok I have a really nooby question.

I'm working on a 30 litre nano which will have a 25 litre sump.

When I decide how much live rock to use do I use the 30 litre DT volume or the complete volume of DT + sump of 55 litres?

I was going to use about 3kg of LR.

Okay, i have a new tank (just over a week old) and i think i have at least 1 tiny aiptasia. At first i thought i had mistakenly seen something because when i looked again it wasn't there. However, i caught a glimpse of it last night and have been researching how to get rid of it. There seems to be a lot of different ways and everyone says something else is the best way; so, best way to get rid of it without harming the hitchhikers in the tank?

Also, i thought i saw what was another aiptasia on a different rock but when i took a closer look it wasn't moving. Are there any types of worm that have long clear tentacles which look like glass? These things sticking out of the rock looked very brittle and like they might break if touched. When i looked again this morning they were gone.

Thanks..

I got 2 questions for you.

1. How do I get rid of Dictyota?

2. I have a CPR aquafuge with DSB, rubble, and chaeto. It's covered with Coraline to the point it's not viewable from the outside. Should I take it down and start over again?

Did I ask a hard question or was it just overlooked?

I agree with everything Ray and Maeda said, but I have another option for you. 30%, once-a-week water changes is a bit much. 30% every other week is probably okay, but like Maeda said it's easy to lose the routine. My suggest: drop to doing weekly 2 gallon water changes. Do that for another month or 2, if your parameters are still looking perfect, try dropping to just a gallon. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a that weekly 1-gallon 10% change. If you feel like the tank responds negatively to either smaller water change go back up to the one that was working. There is no hard fast rule, just listen to what your tank is telling you and respond accordingly.

Feed him more, and see what happens then I guess.. Just keep an eye on those nitrates and phosphates.
This is what I would do.

He answered your question.

Huge props to Maeda for starting this thread. I'll try to stop in periodically and throw in my opinion as backup and/or another take on things. I expect nothing less than a fierce-one-sided-closed-minded rebuttal if we disagree, it's the nano-reef way! ;)

Deleted User 6
I expect nothing less than a fierce-one-sided-closed-minded rebuttal if we disagree, it's the nano-reef way! ;)

lol this. i'm waiting for Maeda to post something wrong and imma be all over it. :P

srs though, good thread. good life. fees good.

When I decide how much live rock to use do I use the 30 litre DT volume or the complete volume of DT + sump of 55 litres?

Trick question. I'm asssssssuming you're asking, which volume (30 or 55 litres) to attach a rule of thumb to..

in metric no less.

I will make this statement here in bold and big letters.

Forget all the rules of thumb you've heard.

They were created to be easy to repeat, like a slogan, however most of the time they don't apply and they will hamper your understanding of how these tanks work.

Now that we got that out of the way, I will recommend you use as much/little rock as you like. What you're doing by adding/subtracting rock from a setup is adding/subtracting surface area in which to colonize the bacteria you'll need to filter the tank.

If you have too little sites, for bacteria to colonize you'll have more trouble maintaining certain water parameters. Not to mention, rock performs other vital functions in the tank such as shelter, water flow dispersion, a substrate for coral, etc. etc.

With that in mind, we will ditch the oft parroted and completely arbitrary, 1 lb per gallon 'rule', and replace it with this if you're really hopeless.. start with 1lb per 3 gallons, and move up until you're satisfied, or in metric, about 1kg for 10 litres. This new 'rule' is different in one critical way.. it prescribes that you take matters into your own hands and judge for yourself (hopefully based on observations/testing) how little/much rock you need.

...so, best way to get rid of it without harming the hitchhikers in the tank?

...Are there any types of worm that have long clear tentacles which look like glass?

Only n00bs give 2 shakes about hitchhikers. Once you spend more time in this hobby you'll find theat 99% of the time hitchhikers suck and ruin your tank eventually. That being said, there is a hitchhiker friendly way to kill off aiptasia using a kalkwasser paste and just smothering them with it. You can find more info if you search, but thats the ONLY way i kill aiptasia.

The other thing you have sounds like it could be majano anemones or ball anemones. If its majanos, then you can nuke them with kalk paste. They're an annoying pest like aiptasia. Ball anemones... personal preference. I kill anything that I don't put in the tank out of fear (i promised i'm a bit more understanding with human beings).

I answered your second question but could not be of any help on the first.

lol this. i'm waiting for Maeda to post something wrong and imma be all over it. :P

I'm never wrong. Didn't you know? ;)

Only n00bs give 2 shakes about hitchhikers. Once you spend more time in this hobby you'll find theat 99% of the time hitchhikers suck and ruin your tank eventually. That being said, there is a hitchhiker friendly way to kill off aiptasia using a kalkwasser paste and just smothering them with it. You can find more info if you search, but thats the ONLY way i kill aiptasia.

The other thing you have sounds like it could be majano anemones or ball anemones. If its majanos, then you can nuke them with kalk paste. They're an annoying pest like aiptasia. Ball anemones... personal preference. I kill anything that I don't put in the tank out of fear (i promised i'm a bit more understanding with human beings).

As a total noob i am completely justified in saying yes i care about my hitch hikers. I'd rather not kill off the polyps or the brittle stars that came with the rock. I will look up kalkwasser paste and how to make it and smother that aiptasia very soon.

So i'm guessing that majanos and ball anemones move around? If i see it again i will try and get a good pic of it and have it i.d-ed. Could that maybe be what i think the aiptasia is?? it's clear and has small white tips on it's tentacles/arms. that one hasn't moved so i'm still thinking bad pest anemone so i'll get rid of it.

Thanks for the answer.

So i'm guessing that majanos and ball anemones move around? If i see it again i will try and get a good pic of it and have it i.d-ed. Could that maybe be what i think the aiptasia is?? it's clear and has small white tips on it's tentacles/arms. that one hasn't moved so i'm still thinking bad pest anemone so i'll get rid of it.

majanos and the ball anemones tend to stay put... clear with white balls at the tips is a ball anemone.

Good luck!

Thanks, i just did some reading about the ball anemone and i think that's what i have that i originally thought was aiptasia. I usually only see it out at night so i think i'll leave that one be for now and see what it does, it's fairly out of the way on the tip of a piece of rock so shouldn't interfere with anything.

If i see the other one again i'll try and get photos.

Thanks.

I have an 8 gallon with no fish - can I use a 2 gallon tank as a qc tank for two weeks before I add him to my display tank?

I'm only qc'ing him to prevent him from bringing any thing into my display. From then on the 2 gallon will only be used to qc a small goby. then taking it down.

I have an 8 gallon with no fish - can I use a 2 gallon tank as a qc tank for two weeks before I add him to my display tank?

I'm only qc'ing him to prevent him from bringing any thing into my display. From then on the 2 gallon will only be used to qc a small goby. then taking it down.

What is he? A 2 gallon is awfully small, regardless of species. If we say yes I'm probably going to recommend daily water changes. A 10 gallon is like $11, that's a much more suitable QT. A 5 gallon bucket works in a pinch, too.

my nitrates and phosphates are extremely low...and i've been trying to feed my blenny more too.

i think he started getting tired of mysis...he loves bloodworms apparently, and brine. kinda spits back out the mysis lol.

You could try using garlic and Selcon as a temporary solution for his picky eating. I would not give it brine anymore.

Garlic

What is the reasoning behind adding garlic to foods in this hobby, garlic is not found in the ocean so..?

Why do some reefers add the garlic regardless of if they have finicky eaters?

Testing

How often should you test the water, assuming everything is running smoothly?

What should routine tests consist of (besides ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, salinity)

Thank you

Archived