Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maeda tells it like it is..

Maeda

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If water parameters look great, is a water change REALLY a must? I've read that some start Nano's and NEVER do water changes, only top off's. Is that good?

I have a 10G nano started about 32 days ago. I do weekly 3g water changes but was curious to know if I could let that go say 2 weeks?

What happened to flight 19?

Really dude? Maeda's actually trying to help nubz out, you know nubz like you who didn't know jack #### when they signed up a month ago. If you have a legitimate question with regards to keeping or maintaining a saltwater/reef aquarium, ask it. Or GFY.

i feed my midas blenny 2-3 times a day. why is he so skinny?

what are you feeding him/her? by skinny do you mean sunken belly or just thin?. They are a slender fish by nature so maybe your's is healthy as long as he's not spitting it out. I feed mine NLS flakes and pellets, frozen cyclopeeze, and mysis. I switch it up through out the week and mine has been happy for 8 months I believe that variety is the key. This is my third midas lost one to surfing and one as a 30$ snack to my damn maxi-mini. Good luck they are very cool fish I will always own one.

Ill post a question in here that I didn't think was thread worthy but did have a convo with my lfs about.

So I have an 8 gallon with ac70 fuge. I want an o clown and a small goby. I was thinking ywg or clown goby. My lfs said id be able to add both (three fish) as long as I waited inbetween ifadding because the fish are so small. I have found other tanks on here to support this idea (10 gallons with 2 small fish and. VeryI small fish).

Is this a dumb thing to try say a few months down the road? I m completely cycles 3 months in with happy corals and shrimp so that is no concern although im not completely matured yet so adding fish will be slow. 2 week ac then 2u weeks inbetween adding fishif not more

I got 2 questions for you.

1. How do I get rid of Dictyota?

2. I have a CPR aquafuge with DSB, rubble, and chaeto. It's covered with Coraline to the point it's not viewable from the outside. Should I take it down and start over again?

Why do people call zoanthids aka zoas ZOOS?

Old school nomenclature. Back in the day they were often referred to as zooanthus or zooanthids, hence the shortened name or nickname "zoos." It is incorrect so most often you will see the shortened term "zoas" instead these days.

You can do a google search and see hits that date back into the early 2000's if you search for "zooanthus" or "zooanthid."

How often to change Purigen?

How often to change Chemi Pure?

What does "recharging" these 2 things mean?

Thanks Maeda.

Chemi-pure

Q: How long does Chemi-pure last?

A: 6 Months

(src: http://www.chemi-pure.com/prd_am/product/idproduct=1)

Purigen

Each 1 L treats up to 4,000 L (1,000 gallons*) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.

Regeneration: Purigen® can also be regenerated. As it adsorbs waste products, Purigen® will change color from a pale blonde to a dark brown, almost black. Once it is exhausted, it can be regenerated with a solution of bleach and water. The bleach will literally “burn off” the organics that have been removed from the tank. Watch out for products that claim to be regenerable with a brine solution. That is the regeneration procedure for ion-exchange purposes. A brine solution will not remove organics. While such resins have a limited capacity for organic adsorption, a brine regeneration process only replaces removed ionic compounds. It does not destroy large organic molecules that were removed, which is the primary function of organic adsorption resins.

Purigen regeneration how-to:

Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse.

Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

(src: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html)

I did not come across anything with regards to recharging Chemi-pure and would recommend simply replacing it. Hope that helps and I hope I'm not stepping on Maeda's toes by answering questions in this thread.

If water parameters look great, is a water change REALLY a must? I've read that some start Nano's and NEVER do water changes, only top off's. Is that good?

I have a 10G nano started about 32 days ago. I do weekly 3g water changes but was curious to know if I could let that go say 2 weeks?

The thing about water changes is... the more frequently you do them, the easier it is to do. It's also easier to work it into your lifestyle.

Will the tank be ok with every-other-week changes? Most likely. Will you eventually get lazy and forget to do one? Also very likely.

So knowing this... do you want your tank to go one or more months without a change, or one or more weeks without a change?

So I have an 8 gallon with ac70 fuge. I want an o clown and a small goby. I was thinking ywg or clown goby. My lfs said id be able to add both (three fish) as long as I waited inbetween ifadding because the fish are so small. I have found other tanks on here to support this idea (10 gallons with 2 small fish and. VeryI small fish).

Is this a dumb thing to try say a few months down the road? I m completely cycles 3 months in with happy corals and shrimp so that is no concern although im not completely matured yet so adding fish will be slow. 2 week ac then 2u weeks inbetween adding fishif not more

Never listen to your fish store. While I acknowledge there are many good/scrupulous fish stores around.. there are 100 million bad ones for every good one (hyperbole much?). They only have everything to gain from you screwing up your tank. With this in mind I say the following..

You COULD add three fish, but you're entire existence would be dedicated to keeping them happy and healthy (fish also happen to live a very long time).

I'd err on the side of don't-add-anything. Nothing. Your life will be easier, and you'll enjoy the hobby more. Really. Collector-itis only leads to crashed nanos. If you want more fish Id' step up to.. a bigger tank. Sorry but that's how I see it.

I got 2 questions for you.

1. How do I get rid of Dictyota?

2. I have a CPR aquafuge with DSB, rubble, and chaeto. It's covered with Coraline to the point it's not viewable from the outside. Should I take it down and start over again?

1. I don't know what dictyota is so I cannot help you. I can half ass a fake answer that can get you in trouble, or parrot something from google, but... i'm sure you can find that on your own. Sorry.

2. How big is your display? I doubt disturbing the dsb in an aquafuge is going to hurt your tank much (unless it's like 5.5g). I would just carefully remove dsb, rubble, cheato.. and then give the CPR a nice vinegar bath (costco's the cheapest i've found), and RO/DI rinse. Put the stuff back in and see what happens. Doing a water change after putting everything back together couldn't hurt either (hopefully this will nip any potential nitrate spikes in the bud)

Hope that helps and I hope I'm not stepping on Maeda's toes by answering questions in this thread.

Never. Just prepare for a fierce one-sided-closed-minded rebuttle if I disagree. :D

------------

Regarding Chemipure..

I've never had success with it, so I don't use it anymore.

Purigen on the other hand, I use from time to time, but recently I have stopped using it.

Recharging it is more hassle than it's worth. Sounds wasteful, but it's true. I usually try to add things to my maintenance regime that are highly dependable and predictable, and me+recharging something I can pick up for a couple bucks, is sadly another weak link in the chain.

I have found that purigen is good at putting on that final spit-polish on your water. It doesn't really solve any underlying problems. I've also never had purigen do anything that more waterchanges, some GFO, and some carbon couldn't do better.

Really dude? Maeda's actually trying to help nubz out, you know nubz like you who didn't know jack #### when they signed up a month ago. If you have a legitimate question with regards to keeping or maintaining a saltwater/reef aquarium, ask it. Or GFY.

So,no problem in joking around.

No thanks, I won't go #### myself.

Get out of here with your chinese banannas and go shove them up your ass bananna boy.

Sir,No need to tell people to #### themselves here.

I hear your wife is a GREAT cook what is her secret? :D

I don't have a wife, but I do have a hetero-life-mate... and her secret is practice.

She cooks many hours a day, everyday. She conducts experiments, and works on a dish like its a product, often remaking it 5-10-50 times until everything is just right and it's ready for general consumption.

She has also adopted a mantra of only using good quality stuff that she can trace back to somewhere thats not a processing plant. She thinks animal fat is good for you, and she doesn't treat food like it's medicine.

We also eat out regularly, and spend time deconstructing dishes we like, often analyzing ingredients and techniques employed. We go on taste excursions to specifically to eat food made with ingredients we are not ourselves familiar with.

Basically.. get nerdy about it. REAL nerdy.

Would something bad happen if I used a strong overflow/return pump combo on a nano if it's rated for a tank that's 125 gallons?

No. Those tank ratings are more or less arbitrary. You can put whatever pump you want on your tank.

Most of my tanks I run at or near 100x total volume and i've had no ill effects that I can see. The sand can be hard to keep down at times but it works.

so for example..

For a 100g tank I would have 10000 gallons per hour of water flow...

I have a question about salinity. I have 2 lfs that I go to, one very close to home and one farther away. I tend to get my premixed saltwater from the closer one. Their water tends to have a salinity of 1.020, sometimes 1.021, they always list it on the container that it is dispensed from. The farther away lfs is always concerned when I take my water in for a test and the reading is 1.020. I do weekly water changes and have a hooded tank so don't end up having to do any top off with fresh water. Is 1.020 really that low and potentially dangerous to my tank, or is the other lfs just unnecessarily worrying me? Why would the closer lfs sell the water at 1.020 if this was an issue?

Sorry about the previous smart a$$ comment. I didn't really want to insult anybody, just wanted to challenge potential troll-ism.....Now I get what the real intention here is.

In response to the earlier question about Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) I can give a true definition based answer. TDS is a measurement of all ionic solids in the water. It is representative of impurities in general, as many / most removable impurites are ionic.

Is 1.020 really that low and potentially dangerous to my tank, or is the other lfs just unnecessarily worrying me? Why would the closer lfs sell the water at 1.020 if this was an issue?

How accurate are these measurements?

I've never kept a reef tank at below 1.023 for any long period of time so I couldn't tell you... I CAN tell you that the fish definetly wont mind it.. I worry for the coral though.

And as for why they might sell it like that... it's probably cheaper for them to do so. Why would do stores do ANYTHING? To make or save money.

Sorry about the previous smart a$$ comment. I didn't really want to insult anybody, just wanted to challenge potential troll-ism.....Now I get what the real intention here is.

I was actually expecting a little troll post. It keeps us honest and on our toes at the very least.

Archived