SaltCritters.com

Maeda tells it like it is..

Maeda

In an effort to help out more n00bs with this difficult/aggravating/unforgiving hobby, I have posted here to help clear out some of the rampant parroting and blatantly wrong information circulating around n-r.

I will be answering questions in the Dear Abby vein, but not with Abby's passive aggressive but still straight forward style. I will probably tell you what you need to hear but don't want to.

You'll be getting an answer from me. I am generally not a nice person, nor do I have much of a filter, but I am not malicious. You will be getting the truth as-far-as-I-know-it.

So, ask a question, and it will be answered. :)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mess with Maeda...It's obvious that he (she?) knows all the answers in this hobby. Anybody that informed and intelligent should be taken seriously.

I've been keeping reefs since 1986 and I certainly don't know everything.

Don't mess with Maeda...It's obvious that he (she?) knows all the answers in this hobby. Anybody that informed and intelligent should be taken seriously.

I started in 89. Maeda is a good member. Very knowledgable. My hat's off to Maeda. I ceartainly wouldn't want to waste my time with the majority of the noobs here lately.
I started in 89. Maeda is a good member. Very knowledgable. My hat's off to Maeda. I ceartainly wouldn't want to waste my time with the majority of the noobs here lately.

Point well made.

I don't think it's just that they're "noobs" I think it's more that some are smartass little d%&kheads as well as being noobs. Ruins it for the new people to this hobby that have genuine questions/concerns.

I never claimed to know everything. I am here to honestly answer questions to the best of my ability. If people want an answer from me, they can ask a question here.

I'm not selling anything, making any promises, or even claiming that im 'right' or 'correct'. I am just offering to give one reasonable answer based on the few years of experience that I have.

Just because im not the reef llama doesn't mean I have nothing of value to contribute.

;) thank you Ray.

Seriously folks this is a legit thread. I'm not trolling or looking for internet glory. I'm here to chew bubblegum and field noobish questions.

That's all the time id like to dedicate to this. Let's make with the real questions.

i feed my midas blenny 2-3 times a day. why is he so skinny?

I see your question and raise you another.

Are you sure he's actually taking in the food that's going into the tank?

I don't trust that a fish is eating unless I can watch them eat every single little bite. Many times they spit stuff out.

when you look at your fish head-on, is he still skinny looking?

I've had fish that don't put on weight even after 5,6,7 daily feedings, because they were spitting out their food...and if you can actually see them eating and they don't gain weight.. I would suspect a parasite and try prazi the fish.

I would also try the fish forum here or even RC for a better answer. This is potentially a difficult problem to solve, well beyond what id consider noobish.

I believe that's the answer.

Seriously though, what exactly consists of TDS?

Im not qualified for this one, but i'll take a crack at it... everything in the water.. that's not the water itself.

Total

Dissolved

Solids

When would be the best time to add corals to my tank?

Say, if i start my tank next week, will it be a good idea to put corals somewhere in Jan?

And what is the max temperature zoas can endure?

When would be the best time to add corals to my tank?

Say, if i start my tank next week, will it be a good idea to put corals somewhere in Jan?

And what is the max temperature zoas can endure?

There is no BEST time, but anytime after your tank is fully cycled should be fine. I actually recommend waiting 3 months after that, but nobody will actually try it.. but Ive done it twice now and its worked out really well.

If you start your tank next week, and it finishes cycling by january then you can put corals in there in january. If it isn't cycled.. the you should not.

Tricky question. I've had zoos survive in 60-something degree water over a couple days but I cannot recommend that. Ive also had zoas survive 88 degree water. This is one area where a general rule of thumb actually applies.. About 75 - 83 degrees would be best. Have I seen different? Yes. There seem to be exceptions to every rule, but being unique and a trailblazer is often a path, met with failure 9 times out of 10.

What movie is that from? HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy? :lol:

Kids these days. I mean really. :lol: It's from the book Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Archived