Top Shelf Aquatics

What are these? baby snails?

iClown

To brief everyone:

1)a long time ago during my 12g nano, I purchased 5 snails from a LFS.

2)eventually they died.

3)I had red slime algae resulting to using Chemicals

4)During the chemical treatmeat arose hundreds of what seems to be baby snails!

5)purchased a BC14, transfered LR and 1/4 water over without the Live Sand from 12g nano to NEW BC14.

6)i THOUGHT the snails were left behind with the old Live Sand

7)they are back.

This is how they look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXiEvQuiPa8

The above video is the actually 12g tank. These baby snails or whatever it is looks exactly like the video.

So the question is: WHAT ARE THEY? HOW COULD THEY HAVE COME ABOUT IN THE 1ST PLACE? HOW DO i GET RID OF THEM? WILL THE CRAB EAT THEM?

They're little tube worms - harmless filter feeders that grow a spiral shaped shell on glass and such and tend to spring up in numbers. To get rid of them, just use an algae scraper on your glass.

They're little tube worms - harmless filter feeders that grow a spiral shaped shell on glass and such and tend to spring up in numbers. To get rid of them, just use an algae scraper on your glass.

Thanks but scraping them won't rid them. They keep coming back and I want them out permanently. Any ideas? How do they come about?

Very hard to see from the video, but it looks like colonista to me.

Q:

Are they attached or roaming?

What color are they?

Are the shells smooth or sharp?

If they are colonista I wouldn't worry it will help you control some of the algae.

forrestp38829

Lol, Billions. :P

Also not 100% sure from the video, but since it looks like they are also on the top rim of the tank, out of the water, they could possibly be some sort of snail egg.

why do you want to kill something that is a valuable and free CUC addition?

they are collonista.

Unless you see them moving I really doubt they are collonista snails. I stand by my initial guess of Spirorbid worms.

In my experience, they don't come back indefinitely. It could be their reproductive cycle or that they get out competed or something, but I've never had a tank where they have just piled up - even on the tank walls I haven't scraped down.

the video isnt yours right?

nov 18, 2010?

Yes, the video is mine.

Unless you see them moving I really doubt they are collonista snails. I stand by my initial guess of Spirorbid worms.

In my experience, they don't come back indefinitely. It could be their reproductive cycle or that they get out competed or something, but I've never had a tank where they have just piled up - even on the tank walls I haven't scraped down.

They move.

Very hard to see from the video, but it looks like colonista to me.

Q:

Are they attached or roaming?

What color are they?

Are the shells smooth or sharp?

If they are colonista I wouldn't worry it will help you control some of the algae.

They roam/move. They are white. The shells..i don't know. I don't touch them because they give me the goose bumps seeing that many.

Yes, the video is mine.

They move.

They roam/move. They are white. The shells..i don't know. I don't touch them because they give me the goose bumps seeing that many.

ok then i say they are colonista

Yes, looks like collonista snails. I had millions too in my other tank along with vermetid snails by the millions. Everything all but disappeared when I went to biopellets because of lack of nutrients to support them. They came back quickly when I went off biopellets. They are valuable to the cleanup crew, but there is a limit because in my opinion the tank looks like sheet when there are millions of them bastaches screwing up the view. Anyways, they were so bad that I started up a new tank with dry rock and am nuking my corals in coralrx before transferring them over.

Enjoy the nutrients at the landfill you little beeches!!!

Yes, looks like collonista snails. I had millions too in my other tank along with vermetid snails by the millions. Everything all but disappeared when I went to biopellets because of lack of nutrients to support them. They came back quickly when I went off biopellets. They are valuable to the cleanup crew, but there is a limit because in my opinion the tank looks like sheet when there are millions of them bastaches screwing up the view. Anyways, they were so bad that I started up a new tank with dry rock and am nuking my corals in coralrx before transferring them over.

Enjoy the nutrients at the landfill you little beeches!!!

It's almost funny how people want to have a reef tank but can't stand a couple of not so pretty looking critters that are beneficial to your tank. Sure go ahead and nuke the tank so you don't have to see a tiny snail crawling around it.

What's funny is you having a hard time understanding the difference between a couple and hundreds upon hundreds of these snails "infesting" our tanks. I have yet to see a aquarium infested with vermetid strands all over the tank labeled as beautiful or TOTM. :huh:

But hey, if you want some of these beautiful strands all over your tank and "irritating" corals so they don't open up I'll be glad to send you a few hundred. Next time read the post carefully and catch a clue before it flies away on you.

It's almost funny how people want to have a reef tank but can't stand a couple of not so pretty looking critters that are beneficial to your tank. Sure go ahead and nuke the tank so you don't have to see a tiny snail crawling around it.
I have yet to see a aquarium infested with vermetid strands all over the tank labeled as beautiful or TOTM. :huh:

whatever floats your boat B)

Seriously dude? Another one who can't reading a flipping post! Go re-read my post where I say VERMETID snails STRANDS irritating the corals. The original posters comments was on Collonista snails which I replied I had a ton of them too. I redid my tank because of VERMETID snails. Are we clear? have you both never gotten rid of a pest before? Is a Vermetid by the hundreds with strands all over not a pest? hmmm,okay

Collonista irritating the corals? You're joking right?

Maybe you should change your screen name from Naturalreef to Artificialreef? ;)

what floats my boat is people helping others and not making snide remarks thinking they are the reefing gods. Hiding behind a screen name allows many remarks to be made..

whatever floats your boat B)

Vermetid and collonista levels are related to the nutrients readily available to them. I have (and always have had) vermetids, but they haven't caused any problems.. Nor have they multiplied to ridiculous numbers, which I seriously think is because there isn't enough food to go around for a larger population.

Also, I'm not 100% with you on vermetid strands bugging the corals. Many of my SPS are in contact with them and have constantly good PE. My priced superman montipora has a LARGE vermetid buried in the middle of it, and the coral couldn't care less. Just my own experiences here - all tanks are individuals though.

Seriously dude? Another one who can't reading a flipping post! Go re-read my post where I say VERMETID snails STRANDS irritating the corals. The original posters comments was on Collonista snails which I replied I had a ton of them too. I redid my tank because of VERMETID snails. Are we clear? have you both never gotten rid of a pest before? Is a Vermetid by the hundreds with strands all over not a pest? hmmm,okay

what floats my boat is people helping others and not making snide remarks thinking they are the reefing gods. Hiding behind a screen name allows many remarks to be made..

Dude you need to chill, Go get L@id this is just a forum.

I said from my previous posts that they get to problematic levels when nutrients are high. I was simply telling the original poster that I had them and a couple are fine, a hundred of them detract from the tank. Don't we agree that a hundred vermetids are a pest? From my previous posts for the last nine years, I have always tried posting and replying with respect for others, no matter the experience level. Edangel's post rubbed me the wrong way because it was clear we are not talking about a couple of snails and the way he belittled the post.

Vermetid and collonista levels are related to the nutrients readily available to them. I have (and always have had) vermetids, but they haven't caused any problems.. Nor have they multiplied to ridiculous numbers, which I seriously think is because there isn't enough food to go around for a larger population.

Also, I'm not 100% with you on vermetid strands bugging the corals. Many of my SPS are in contact with them and have constantly good PE. My priced superman montipora has a LARGE vermetid buried in the middle of it, and the coral couldn't care less. Just my own experiences here - all tanks are individuals though.

Dude I can picture you yelling at the screen and mumbling furiously. It's all in good faith; I just don't like your "exterminate them all" mentality. We human have the wrong attitude (from my perspective) of destroying things we can't comprehend or control (specially accentuated in American culture). I won't bother you anymore.

Have a good one…

Nope not yelling at the screen at all, just at a loss with your reasoning about a Pest.

I'm talking about a pest that keeps multiplying and upsetting corals, not a single snail minding its own business. American culture? I'm done here...good luck with your reef

^^^ owned? from that quote above? Your posts are making it very obvious how uneducated you truly are....

Archived