ReefCleaners.org

"rapid fire" clicking?

kgoldy

I made the mistake of adding a large unidentified pistol shrimp to my tank that live aquaria sent me when they mixed up my order a few months back. It promptly went on a killing spree, and murdered my tigers and randalls which had all been peacefully coexisting together with their goby partners. I know the unidentified shrimp still exists in the tank because of it's distinctively loud clicking, even though I haven't seen it in months. I have however recently been hearing a faint clicking too... Usually 6 or 7 clicks at a time, and in rapid succession. A little quicker than one click per second, which is faster than any pistol shrimp clicks I have heard before. My tank was started with all dry rock, so I know it's not a mantis. Could there be a randalls still alive in there? I thought they were unable to click so rapidly...

TheUnfocusedOne

Not sure if it's helpful, but pistols and mantis shrimps don't sound the same. Mantis shrimps are more of a snap or a slap (think of the sound of someone getting slapped in the face), but they are capable of striking more than once per second.

I've had things in my tank before that snap like crazy. I found out I most likely had a tiny pistol shrimp in my tank for years. It would snap a lot around feeding times. It was very faint.

Traps always work.

Both my tigers and Randalli pistols rapid machine gun fire when someone is stupid enough to try to walk into their holes. Specifically hermit crabs.

Archived