inTank Media Baskets

Yoshii's 55g Makeover » Second Time's the Charm!

yoshii

jedimasterben

I think anthias need more room My dream is to have a breeding harem of Hawaiian Longfin anthias :wub:

In my experience with anthias, they don't need as much room as all the 'big sites' say. I think the reason is mostly bioload-based since they eat/poop a lot.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

As long as you can start them off with several times a day, sometimes you can back it down to twice a day and just keep an eye on them.

• 2 weeks later...
BattleAthletics

So I happen to be another victim of reading all of the pages XD.

I also have a 55g freshwater tank that I want to convert to a salwater tank.

• 2 weeks later...

haha wow I'm sorry :lol:

You won't regret it! :)

Also, I think my clowns have brooklynella..fun fun
I'll be picking up some formalin tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yoshii is probably just busy with school and stuff... Or she lost interest IDK. She was last active today hashtag stalk-stalk hashtag jk I just went you your profile to check.

So how is life? How is the tank? We don't need a picture, just a textual reinforcement that all is okay. :tears:

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I need your opinion!

My LFS just got in some beautiful Barlett's Anthias (who are eating after being in the tank for only a few hours)

IMG_8264.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

I wanted to get Dispars until I saw these guys

But I think these may now be a better choice as they are more aggressive, and can better hold their ground against my clownfish.

However, I also want to get a pair of firefish and perhaps other shy fish such as a flasher wrasse in the future...which the barletts might bully :/

What do you guys think?

jedimasterben

I've never seen an aggressive Bartlett's anthias, FWIW. Maybe being in a small holding tank with so many others in it might make them look aggressive, but they're really pansies :lol:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey guys, I need your opinion!

My LFS just got in some beautiful Barlett's Anthias (who are eating after being in the tank for only a few hours)

IMG_8264.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

I wanted to get Dispars until I saw these guys

But I think these may now be a better choice as they are more aggressive, and can better hold their ground against my clownfish.

However, I also want to get a pair of firefish and perhaps other shy fish such as a flasher wrasse in the future...which the barletts might bully :/

What do you guys think?

I think you should shut down this tank and get my 7 gallon cold water AIO... :P

I've never seen an aggressive Bartlett's anthias, FWIW. Maybe being in a small holding tank with so many others in it might make them look aggressive, but they're really pansies :lol:

From my experiences with Bartletts, I would label them semi-aggressive

I think I'll get three :)

I think you should shut down this tank and get my 7 gallon cold water AIO... :P

Haha oh Mike, I never take down tanks, only set up more!!

But I ran out of room lol

I have a couple Bartlett's, they are very hardy and good eaters. If you want to keep anthias, I think Bartletts are the easiest.

Yeah, I'm not worried about their hardiness/care difficulty, just their aggression.

I've wanted to get a (properly decompressed) Flavoguttatus Anthias again, but IME Bartletts will definitely go after them. I'll just stick with the Bartletts, after all, three anthias look cooler than a single anthias.

• 1 month later...

Hey Yoshi how are the bartletts doing? I just bought a Flavoguttatus Anthias a few days back. It's a tad skidish. But my mini school of red spot cardinals swimming out in the open entices the anthias to swim with the bunch. But the best thing is that it is fatting up quickly and eats everything.

I say take anther shot with the Flavoguttatus Anthias, so gorgeous.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Planning on taking out most of the rock and remaining fish/corals tomorrow.

Kinda sad to be finally taking down my first SW tank, I can't even remember how long I've had this tank. Pretty sure I got it when I was 13, so wow, probably about 8 years.

Here's a pic from a little while ago after taking out most of the corals

2015-08-21%2022.37.19.jpg

Goodbye 55, we had a good run :)

Did you keeping anything from this tank?

GSP haha

Maybe some red blastos

But soon I'll just have 1 nano tank, and most things in this tank won't fit in it :(

GSP haha

Maybe some red blastos

But soon I'll just have 1 nano tank, and most things in this tank won't fit in it :(

Lol I had to rid myself of my gsp as it spread so fast and stung/killed some of my acros. I had to consolidate my tanks as well. I had my 40 and my 15 nano. Gave away my 15 and the 40 went into storage. All put everything into a 60 Solana. With classes taking up more of my time I have time for only one tank.

Also your macro tank looks fantastic. :)

Archived