inTank Media Baskets

Yoshii's 55g Makeover » Second Time's the Charm!

yoshii

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want an MP40. I don't like how much the Koralias stick out so much

And some of Karen Talbot's work

after i get my mp20's wet side swapped for a new one i can sell you the pump and you can upgrade to mp40?

its brand new.

sure the mp40 are nice and all, very minimal in the tank, i dont like the idea of it failing or have any problems with it after less than a year of use. almost everyone i talked to who uses the mp40 complain it doesnt last them a year. they describe owning a mp40 is like renting it. they have to pay a lot to have it fixed.

tunze on the other hand virtually lasts a lifetime. i have a pump that is more than 5 years old if not even older on all original parts and still pumping out lots of flow. they are a lot quieter than mp40 as well. thats just my 2 cents on the subject.

You have too much, rock, I think.

I agree, I will be taking out some of the smaller ugly rock pieces

after i get my mp20's wet side swapped for a new one i can sell you the pump and you can upgrade to mp40?

its brand new.

Wait, are you selling a mp20 or mp40?

sure the mp40 are nice and all, very minimal in the tank, i dont like the idea of it failing or have any problems with it after less than a year of use. almost everyone i talked to who uses the mp40 complain it doesnt last them a year. they describe owning a mp40 is like renting it. they have to pay a lot to have it fixed.

tunze on the other hand virtually lasts a lifetime. i have a pump that is more than 5 years old if not even older on all original parts and still pumping out lots of flow. they are a lot quieter than mp40 as well. thats just my 2 cents on the subject.

Oh wow, I didn't know that, I hadn't really read many reviews

I was going to look at tunze pumps second, but don't they stick out more? One of the main reasons I want to replace my koralias is because they stick out in the tank

i dont think there are any pumps on the market right now that have such a low profile as vortecs. with a 55gal tank a tunze 6055 or the new 6095 and 7096 controller should be enough to create flow and waves in your tank. the 6055/6095 will not stick out like a sore thumb like the koralias, but it wont hide itself quite as good as the mp40. the 6105 and up will be a lot bigger and might not suit your taste.

heres my 40x20x24 tank for reference. the right is my 6055, the left is and old 6100. not as low profile as the mp40, but not as big as a similar sized koralia. with a black background is almost blends itself with it pretty good.

_DSC2761.JPG

another thing about the mp40, you cant aim them, they pretty much push flow perpendicularly to the glass. you have to scape your rocks and place your corals so that they either wont block too much of the flow, or get blasted head on. with the tunze you can aim them where ever and how ever you like. just another thing to keep in mind of.

I'm having trouble finding flow charts for some return pumps :/

But right now I'm thinking a Mag Drive 3 or 5? I wanted to go with Eheim, but the pumps they offer won't work with this tank

It's hard to choose even if I have a flow chart to look at, since my sump is not directly below the tank, the return line will not go straight up, it will be at an angle and I'm not sure how much that will effect GPH

I will be learning from the advice you (hopefully!) get, as I need to work out how to choose my return pump soon ...

:) I'm searching through threads and various other pages right now, I'll post if I find out anything

Can't make my sump without knowing the dimensions of my return pump!

Mm, it seems it's not a good idea to plumb returns diagonally :/

I'm guessing it's the same for the overflow...looks like I'll have to plumb differently than I originally planned

I may need to turn my sump sideways, hmm but then it would stick out. I'll think of ideas after I finish my hw, I'll probably post some paint drawings later tonight

Too much resistance or something? I need to find that link again

Are you planning on using flexible tubing or PVC? With PVC you can just make some 45* or 90* angles

i would go with at least a mag5 or similar pump for the size of your tank.

what are your constraints?

I will most likely go with a Mag 5 but I need to figure out my plumbing situation for sure first

I'm making a new plumbing diagram, now the return line and the overflow will both be much shorter in an effort to keep the lines as vertical as possible. I will measure it later to calculate head loss and figure out a good pump

What do you mean by constraints? Like budget? Or GPH?

I will most likely go with a Mag 5 but I need to figure out my plumbing situation for sure first

I'm making a new plumbing diagram, now the return line and the overflow will both be much shorter in an effort to keep the lines as vertical as possible. I will measure it later to calculate head loss and figure out a good pump

What do you mean by constraints? Like budget? Or GPH?

i mean, do you have overflow flow rate constraints, or are there other issues in your ideal design that might limit/exceed your ideal flow rate target etc.

but seems if you want to keep the return as straight as possible, then head loss will be kept to a minimum. just gotta make sure your overflow can handle the flow.

I'm not a fan of the mag pumps, every single one I have owned has developed prop problems. However my Eheim pumps have never failed me.

I know Eheims are very good quality, but none of the Eheim's pumps have the right GPH for my system

i mean, do you have overflow flow rate constraints, or are there other issues in your ideal design that might limit/exceed your ideal flow rate target etc.

but seems if you want to keep the return as straight as possible, then head loss will be kept to a minimum. just gotta make sure your overflow can handle the flow.

I'm using a 300gph overflow, so I think I'll need a Mag 3. I've been looking at flow charts online for the Mag 3, and it seems they vary :huh: One says it will be perfect for my setup, 300gph at 3', but another chart says at 3' it pumps 335gph, a little over what I need :/

Archived