Pod Your Reef

saltwatercoral
This is my first post and i just recieved my Nano sol Blue with controller and set it up today. I used the idea of L brackets from this forum which only ran me eight scoots at Lowes! :happy:

*I was running the stock 150w MH on the tank before, but it was causing crazy temp jumps so i went with the Nano Sol. Frogspawn, Ricordia, and Zoas all loving it.

Very nice Misfortune! I added you to the member list but was not able to link a forum that your tank build was on because this was your first post. Once you get a forum started on your tank, PM me and I will link it for you!

Even though, I'm upgrading to a bigger tank very soon. Thought'd I post the final shots of my tank under the AI Nano.

Crappy iPhone quality pictures, but that's all I got for now. Journal Thread.

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

Awsome! I see you moves the clam lower in the second pic. Was that because of lighing or flow? Very nice setup might I add as well! I also added you to the member list in the begining part of the forum, Welcome!

DIY conduit mounting arm swivels in and out:

20gzdzd.jpg

1jktjb.jpg

dvfznl.jpg

Nice start JDK! What are you planing on fillin it with? Welcome to the AI club, I added you to the list in the begining of the forum as well with a link to your build!

• Like 1

Here is an update on my setup. I installed upgraded fans and setup the AI controller in the cabinet. Next is to drill a hole on the top for the unit fan, then it will be time to get it wet.

photo2-2.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo10.jpg

1000001542.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

SOL White with blue stunner strip. I'll put my settings up as well. This used to be a BC HQI but I got tired of the chiller. The FTS is a bit dated (last month). Since then I have dialed it down a little and switched to Reef Crystals and my growth has exploded. I had it at 60B and 50W at the peak of the cycle, but took everything down 5-10 and all the corals responded very well. I guess it's possible to have too much of a good thing. I have the thunderstorm option at 70% and I really like it because it's not everyday, but it's often enough that I notice it. Could storm at night, early morning, evening...you never know. I think that mimics nature as much as possible. Also, I used to have a ton of blue (even with the W model) and that really washed everything to the point that it was annoying. I changed it to a more even number between B and W, so with the stunner strip it's just about perfect. There's a surge of blue at the last two hours of the day, before the lunar cycle just to make things look cool and to give them some good color. Oh, and the mount is from Zero Edge Aquariums. And ...lastly, this may be obvious, but MUCH of the color depends on the glass/acrylic. The Purple Deaths pictured here are BROWN! through the glass and that color from the top down.

Edited by pschom
  • Like 1

Now, all that being said... I still miss the Phoenix 150w Halide and will use halide on my next project. There's just nothing that compares in spectrum...IMO. I love my LEDs, but cry when I see this pic....

FTS with 150w MH. 14k Phoenix bulb.

IMG_1482.jpg

Edited by pschom
saltwatercoral
Here is an update on my setup. I installed upgraded fans and setup the AI controller in the cabinet. Next is to drill a hole on the top for the unit fan, then it will be time to get it wet.

photo2-2.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo10.jpg

Very nice looking. Caint wait to see the corals in your tank with the AI!

saltwatercoral
1000001542.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

SOL White with blue stunner strip. I'll put my settings up as well. This used to be a BC HQI but I got tired of the chiller. The FTS is a bit dated (last month). Since then I have dialed it down a little and switched to Reef Crystals and my growth has exploded. I had it at 60B and 50W at the peak of the cycle, but took everything down 5-10 and all the corals responded very well. I guess it's possible to have too much of a good thing. I have the thunderstorm option at 70% and I really like it because it's not everyday, but it's often enough that I notice it. Could storm at night, early morning, evening...you never know. I think that mimics nature as much as possible. Also, I used to have a ton of blue (even with the W model) and that really washed everything to the point that it was annoying. I changed it to a more even number between B and W, so with the stunner strip it's just about perfect. There's a surge of blue at the last two hours of the day, before the lunar cycle just to make things look cool and to give them some good color. Oh, and the mount is from Zero Edge Aquariums. And ...lastly, this may be obvious, but MUCH of the color depends on the glass/acrylic. The Purple Deaths pictured here are BROWN! through the glass and that color from the top down.

Welcome to the Club pschom! I added you to the list in the begining as well with a link to your build. I looked over your build and MAN, u have some real nice corals. The colors are great, keep it up and can't wait to see more!!!

Now, all that being said... I still miss the Phoenix 150w Halide and will use halide on my next project. There's just nothing that compares in spectrum...IMO. I love my LEDs, but cry when I see this pic....

FTS with 150w MH. 14k Phoenix bulb.

IMG_1482.jpg

I feel the same way about my halide. I love the AI Sols. They are fun to play with but they still cannot do what the halide can. Although the 1200 gallon at the store is lit with 12 Ai Sols and looks pretty rad. It's not a reef tank though.

Im saving up for the phoenix fixture does anyone know the release date. I've heard sometime this month but havent heard an exact date yetThis will be my first led fixture and Ill be putting it on my 56g cube 30 x 25 x 18. Do you think one will do or will I have to put two of them on there?

saltwatercoral
I feel the same way about my halide. I love the AI Sols. They are fun to play with but they still cannot do what the halide can. Although the 1200 gallon at the store is lit with 12 Ai Sols and looks pretty rad. It's not a reef tank though.

Is the 1200g tank at your store?! If so or if not is there some pics that you can post here of the tank lit with the 12 AI's? Thats sounds sick! B)

Im saving up for the phoenix fixture does anyone know the release date. I've heard sometime this month but havent heard an exact date yetThis will be my first led fixture and Ill be putting it on my 56g cube 30 x 25 x 18. Do you think one will do or will I have to put two of them on there?

As for the release date... No one knows yet. I have beed in contact with AI many time and have been checking there site everyday. Although on there site you can sign up for updates for the Phoenix for when they becom available! And YES 1 of the new Phoenix fixtures will work. You wont be able to have it to close to the surface, because of coverage. For that size tank I would have it about 8-12 inches off of the water for a good spread!

Is the 1200g tank at your store?! If so or if not is there some pics that you can post here of the tank lit with the 12 AI's? Thats sounds sick! B)

As for the release date... No one knows yet. I have beed in contact with AI many time and have been checking there site everyday. Although on there site you can sign up for updates for the Phoenix for when they becom available! And YES 1 of the new Phoenix fixtures will work. You wont be able to have it to close to the surface, because of coverage. For that size tank I would have it about 8-12 inches off of the water for a good spread!

good deal Im going to have to make some kind of light blocker for the front and right side of the fixture. My tank is in my living room next to my TV so some people will have some eye damage. I can maybe make something out of alumiunum or wood and paint it black that will extend from the fixture down to the glass top. I can't wait to be able to control it with my laptop, the first time I throw a thunderstorm into the mix my wife will scream. I can even log into my computer from work and do it while shes home alone. Thanks for the info as soon as it comes out I will order it and post pictures when it arrives.

Pschom, you got it goin on bro :ninja:

Thanks dude!

Welcome to the Club pschom! I added you to the list in the begining as well with a link to your build. I looked over your build and MAN, u have some real nice corals. The colors are great, keep it up and can't wait to see more!!!

Thanks for the membership! Im the most satisfied as I have been with the current scape, color and growth.

saltwatercoral
good deal Im going to have to make some kind of light blocker for the front and right side of the fixture. My tank is in my living room next to my TV so some people will have some eye damage. I can maybe make something out of alumiunum or wood and paint it black that will extend from the fixture down to the glass top. I can't wait to be able to control it with my laptop, the first time I throw a thunderstorm into the mix my wife will scream. I can even log into my computer from work and do it while shes home alone. Thanks for the info as soon as it comes out I will order it and post pictures when it arrives.

Sounds good! You can pre order the Phoenix before it comes out. This is what I did. You can call up Reefgeek or aquacave. They are accepting pre-orders for the Phoenix. Once you get a build thread, PM me and I will add u to the Club!

saltwatercoral
Hey saltwater here is how you start those montipora off

FxCam_1320527236816.jpg

Saweeeet! I can’t wait until I can get this goin! I want to try with Red, Green, Orange, Purple and Yellow! That will be "Very Nice". It’s always easier to say then to do, but with the proper research hopefully it turns out ok!

This is a pic of what Formula462 was talking about with the 1200 gallon Aqua Illumination lit tank! its in Texas.

TruePerculas1200gallonwith12Sol.jpg

Edited by saltwatercoral
Big! Funny though, still has the same color as our nano's.

That's kinda weird because I don't remember taking or posting that picture on here. Maybe I did though. I took more pictures of it today but the glare is so bad they aren't worth posting. I also took a video of the thunderstorm but again, glare is so bad you can't even tell what's happening.

IME, 1 would not be sufficient unless your going to have a mostly lps or softy tank. It will be hard to get good par bc of the 30inch length but I would be more worried about the 24" width. I don't like to be limited of what corals I have because of my equipment so I would go with two.