SaltCritters.com

Do some sol blue's have brighter exterior color white fixtures then others?

Pucks look the same, circuit board is black instead of green, outer fixture is a more bright white.

Pic to spark discussion:

RSDqA.jpg

acropora1981
Dont know about the NANO but 2 SOL would cover it nicely

TWO! I think one will be quite good enough considering no one even runs their units at 100%.

Get one, raise it up to about 14"-20" above the tank and run it near 100%.

Edited by acropora1981

For the people that are thinking of combining T5 with an SOL, can we get a pic r diagram r something? That sounds amazing and would really like to see how you will be doing that!

Almost ready with my new tank. Got one of the lights mounted. Made the brackets out of 1/2" conduit, used a blow torch to heat and bend it. The other light will be moved once my livestock is moved. Currently still on my 10G. Hopefully moving everything next weekend.

20120310154143.jpg

acropora1981
For the people that are thinking of combining T5 with an SOL, can we get a pic r diagram r something? That sounds amazing and would really like to see how you will be doing that!

I will be posting pics of my 40breeder build in my tank thread over the next few months. It will feature 1 sol blue and two 39w hot5s.

Pic to spark discussion:

RSDqA.jpg

Is it me or does the one with the brighter white case/black board light up more brighter than the one with the green board? I've noticed this when I just received the one with the black board. Is anything different other than these two things?

Edited by vu.dao
Is it me or does the one with the brighter white case/black board light up more brighter than the one with the green board? I've noticed this when I just received the one with the black board. Is anything different other than these two things?

They will both perform the same. The one with the green board & the off white case is thinner and you will see some light spill through the actual fixture itself on the top right below the heatsink.

It is hard to describe, only slightly noticeable. When I get my lights mounted I will try to get some pictures.

AI assures me however they perform from puck down exactly the same.

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for the inquiry. I believe you are referring to the plastic housings? If yes, you are correct, the housings from a previous generation are slightly different that the new ones but nothing to worry about as far as performance is considered. The new ones that were released will continue to be the new plastic that we use for the future. Thank you and have a great day,

Best Regards,

Justin

AI

Has anyone had any issues with Zoas closing up when you installed your AI? I have a nano over a 14 gallon biocube and have a rather large eagleye colony near the top of my tank. They opened perfectly under the stock lighting but are barely opening/mostly closed since I started the nano. Nano has only been running at about 50% across all three colors as well.

acropora1981
Has anyone had any issues with Zoas closing up when you installed your AI? I have a nano over a 14 gallon biocube and have a rather large eagleye colony near the top of my tank. They opened perfectly under the stock lighting but are barely opening/mostly closed since I started the nano. Nano has only been running at about 50% across all three colors as well.

Turn the intensity down for a few days to like 30/30/30 and see how the zoas react. The AI units are extremely powerful.

Start out lower like 20% peak... I started at 20 peak and have only increase it to 37% peak since Jan... Everything is great except my gonipora which hates LEDs and has stopped opening up nice and full since I put the sol over the tank.

Start out lower like 20% peak... I started at 20 peak and have only increase it to 37% peak since Jan... Everything is great except my gonipora which hates LEDs and has stopped opening up nice and full since I put the sol over the tank.

My Goniopora doesn't opening up completely as well with my AI Sol lighting. It was always open with my MH. I hoped it would open more when the intensity of the lighting raised to higher percentages.

My rics have gone bye bye since getting the AI sol blue.. They hate this thing....I lost every single one..Well, at least in the process. The last two have shrunken from the size of a half dollar to smaller then a cheerio..On the other hand, my blue mushroom has tripled in size..lol

Edited by wyattroa
acropora1981
My rics have gone bye bye since getting the AI sol blue.. They hate this thing....I lost every single one..Well, at least in the process. The last two have shrunken from the size of a half dollar to smaller then a cheerio..On the other hand, my blue mushroom has tripled in size..lol

That happened to me a few yrs ago when I switched from 150W mh to 250W mh. Rics are very finicky when it comes to light changes in general. I have no rics under my AI, so I can't say from my own experience if they dislike LED specifically. I know one thing for sure about rics, for me, they prefer HOT5 over all other lighting that I've had them under.

What do you sol nano users use for intensity? I suspect im cooking my corals that are towards the middle of the light. My acans and mushrooms are shriviling up but the ones to the extreeme sides of the light seem relatively happy. I only use like w/b/rb 30/20/20 max but the tank is very shallow, 10 inches.

SouthFlorida_Tron
What do you sol nano users use for intensity? I suspect im cooking my corals that are towards the middle of the light. My acans and mushrooms are shriviling up but the ones to the extreeme sides of the light seem relatively happy. I only use like w/b/rb 30/20/20 max but the tank is very shallow, 10 inches.

Did u change ur name? Lol

SouthFlorida_Tron

? What do you mean if i changed my name? I've been reefsahoy ever since joined date of NR.

Eck, sry, must've been the site or my phone. Earlier it showed the avatar for mpsti05 but on ur name hahaha

Eck, sry, must've been the site or my phone. Earlier it showed the avatar for mpsti05 but on ur name hahaha

Too much sun down there tron?!? :huh: lol

Got everything moved over from my 10G on Saturday night

20120318191452.jpg

Currently ramping to Ai Nanos to 50/65/65 at peak. Will see how everything responds and adjust over the next few weeks.

What did you switch from? If anything. In a shallow tank like that (mine too) I'd turn it to 10/20/20 and go from there. Leave it at that setting for 3 weeks and slowly bring it up like 3-5% every week-two weeks. Seems excessive, but everything will be better for it. I definitely scaped my new shallow with light intensity in mind.

Too much sun down there tron?!? :huh: lol

Possible issues:

He has too many corals and can't focus

Too many responses in his tank thread

SOL is 'over-saturating' his tank and his mind

He dosed his drink on Saturday instead of his tank

Etc.......

LOL