Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

Let me think about this, the last time I entered a Pico contest we had an oil spill down here and I was out of my office for months and could not keep up with the tank or post FTS so I dropped out. ( the tank did fine and is still going ). I will check around and see if I can find a tank before I throw my hat into the ring.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning Walmart Shoppers, oh I mean reefers.

Welcome to all our noob's. For those of you that are not familiar with how this contest came into existence, I would urge you to please review the previous posts and threads. When I first made my post about the Walmart pico setup AKA Tom Deco2 I never dreamed there would be so much of a positive response to it. I was just trying to share what I found with others but somehow it snowballed into what we currently have. I, like many that have purchased this setup have little or no experience with working with a living world this small. I'm sure many will have setbacks, heck I expect to have them but hopefully we are a dedicated group in search of the same end result. I'm kinda looking at this more as an experiment/challenge instead of a contest. I honestly don't expect to win any prize for my efforts, although those prizes our sponsors have donated are very enticing. ( Thanks again to our wonderful sponsors.) As with any good experiment, the basic parameters must be kept the same or at best very similar.

By no means do you have to set up your tank as a reef, you can set it up as a fish or invert only, planted, freshwater, brackish, etc, you can even throw a Betta in there and be done with it. Many have already expressed their thought and ideas on what they plan to do. I am still researching my options. Being creative does not mean having the most hi-tech gizmos and gadgets, it's making do with what you have available and your imagination. In my personal opinion, I don't think the winner should be chosen strickly on how pretty his/her tank looks but also how much they have learned and were willing to share with our community to make the hobby better. Personally, I planned on sharing what I learned through my posts regardless of a contest or not.

So in conclusion, and I'll prolly get flamed but that's okay I'm a big boy and I can take it. Heck there is always ignore option just as you can ignore me. If you feel you are too good for this group, please move on to other ventures, I wish you only the best. If you are too experienced, please make yourself available to assist those that need help, advise and guidance.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Rob

Ps, I'm sending out a group hug to all our friends on this thread. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm in, mine should show up today :D The whole stock lighting thing worries me though, I was just looking around for spare parts and could only find 6400k replacement lights. It looks like the whole bulb/reflector thing is one piece. I might go FW planted if that is the only replacement option...On the upside the filter and its parts are all over the place.

I like the stock lighting idea. Its more fun when there are restrictions and an even playing field.

Use your crap PC fixture as a fuge light and light the pico some other way. I may hang a par38 over my Majano training camp.

Gonna start my tank thread now. weee

I agree, but the stock light will make everything look like crap.

the color of the toms PC isnt that bad.

It is my preference that people be required to use the kit. This ensures a fairly even ground.

I've not seen the kit in action yet but, I am sure the PC's can't be that hideous. Just think of the PC's as retro-reefing. B)

there were some really nice TOTM that were PC powered.

Congrats!!!!! You got that big boy set up yet???? :P

The uh "big boy" is still in its box. I'm still thinking about it to be honest....

I have LR and frags that would go into it, I might challenge myself and "try" to make it minimalistic.

I'm thinking mostly about where I would place it.

Then I go "nah" shouldn't start another tank.

In any case I'm travelling for a bit, off and on and don't want to start it up (if I decide to commit) till a few weeks later.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Mike that is a beauty of a tank.

Metrokat,

Since you like lipsticks, I thought I would show you a original pic of my pico and how I used household items to give reference to size.

The completed tanks debut was with my wife's small watch. However, before I got started on it, I scaled it with this:

Wife asked, have you seen my lipstick? Ah honey, can you wait a second!!

2rmxvur.jpg

Wow, this has been a busy place today! I apologize for my absence, I'm a teacher so there are not always opportunities jump online during the school day. I have read all of the posts regarding the light bulb and I can see both sides of the coin. I want folks to be allowed to be creative- that's the fun part. However, using the stock bulb may make everyone thinking about creative and unusual ways of utilizing it. I am agreeing with the concensus- Add any lighting that you wish, but please use everything in the box- including the bulb. As far as bulb replacement- After the one year is up, discard the bulb if you wish. In the meantime, I will scope out finding replacement bulb's

Thank you for your thoughts- this is your contest! What is everyone's thought on water volume restrictions as mentioned earlier today? Please comment.

Mike that is a beauty of a tank.

Metrokat,

Since you like lipsticks, I thought I would show you a original pic of my pico and how I used household items to give reference to size.

The completed tanks debut was with my wife's small watch. However, before I got started on it, I scaled it with this:

Wife asked, have you seen my lipstick? Ah honey, can you wait a second!!

2rmxvur.jpg

That is too cute. Let me guess, Lancome, "pink side of me" shade.

We need some more folks to jump into this exciting contest. Although Walmart is out of the tank for $30, several other online retailers do have these ready to ship. I can already tell that some great learning and exchange of ideas is going to come out of this contest.

Also... This evening I will be announcing a new sponsor! :) Since we now have several prizes, I would like to spread the wealth and have more than one winner. I am thinking about the following categories:

-Best use of original equipment

-Best looking livestock (fish/inverts)

-Best looking coral

-Most creative

What do you think of these four categories? Can you think of something better?

BTW- Rules will be finalized on Saturday, so please post any suggestions soon!

i`d like to get in too, but walmart wont ship outside of the US,

any1 got a good idea on how to ship this to Israel?

Have them mark the box as explosives?

Best use of original equipment is my fave.

I like this one too

Have them mark the box as explosives?

rofl

What about Best 'Scape?

We need some more folks to jump into this exciting contest. Although Walmart is out of the tank for $30, several other online retailers do have these ready to ship. I can already tell that some great learning and exchange of ideas is going to come out of this contest.

Also... This evening I will be announcing a new sponsor! :) Since we now have several prizes, I would like to spread the wealth and have more than one winner. I am thinking about the following categories:

-Best use of original equipment

-Best looking livestock (fish/inverts)

-Best looking coral

-Most creative

What do you think of these four categories? Can you think of something better?

BTW- Rules will be finalized on Saturday, so please post any suggestions soon!

We may want to think about a Best FW set up to for those that don't do SW. :)

it has arrived. Sorry i've been MIA. I am a student and we have had tests this week. I'm going to start setting everything up this weekend!

Sweet, take some pics.

I'm thinking of rescaping. Could use some walls to keep gupebreedr from attacking my Majano base

I'm going to start my pico thread tonight. Can you add me to the list please.

I'm feeling left out... :huh:

Also, I love the different categories although you might want to define what you mean by 'best looking coral and livestock". Healthiest, most unique, hardest to keep, best coloration, 'prettiest', all of the above? Is it kind of like TOTM, only split into two categories?

Sweet, take some pics.

I'm thinking of rescaping. Could use some walls to keep gupebreedr from attacking my Majano base

Hey, Hey, Hey, I'z a lover not a fighter. Wouldn't think of laying a finger on your Majano's, maybe a hammer tho. :o Just joshin'!!!! :lol: I now have life in " Bob's Big Boy pico. Stay tuned for details.....

surgicalsense

I want a pico setup, but I do not think I am game yet for this. Still learning to keep my 24g alive. :lol:

I can cheerlead in the meantime! May the best Walmart pico reefer win!

I want a pico setup, but I do not think I am game yet for this. Still learning to keep my 24g alive. :lol:

I can cheerlead in the meantime! May the best Walmart pico reefer win!

Thanks, We'll need you to be a judge. How's that sound?????? B)

I'm going to start my pico thread tonight. Can you add me to the list please.

I'm feeling left out... :huh:

Also, I love the different categories although you might want to define what you mean by 'best looking coral and livestock". Healthiest, most unique, hardest to keep, best coloration, 'prettiest', all of the above? Is it kind of like TOTM, only split into two categories?

Sending you :grouphug: so you don't feel left out. The world demands pic's of your new setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived