Pod Your Reef

Tinkering (leds installed! with pics)

tinkerer

ultimately a pair of clowns not sure what kind yet and i have been contemplating a goby pistol pair also. as far as corals go i think this will end up being a softy/LPS tank. maybe way down the line i will consider putting an SPS in there, but not soon

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ultimately a pair of clowns not sure what kind yet and i have been contemplating a goby pistol pair also. as far as corals go i think this will end up being a softy/LPS tank. maybe way down the line i will consider putting an SPS in there, but not soon

Hehe. That's what I said too :D.

ApiratenamedJohn

Nice. That's what I did with my bc 14. I didn't think they would be, but the clowns have become one of my favorite things about that tank.

I wish I felt ready for more fish. I had to fight the urge to go buy stuff today. What did they want for them? Also, I am up on the tcmas site now by the same name. I would like to have something for the clowns to host at some point also. Still undecided if I want an RBTA in there or just hope they host a frog/hammer/torch

I wish I felt ready for more fish. I had to fight the urge to go buy stuff today. What did they want for them? Also, I am up on the tcmas site now by the same name. I would like to have something for the clowns to host at some point also. Still undecided if I want an RBTA in there or just hope they host a frog/hammer/torch

I think they wanted $60 for the pair. I'll check next time I'm in there. My poor clowns host the back corner of my tank. They have hammer, xenia. toad stool, gsp, yellow polyps, but nothing attracts them. I would like a RBTA but I have too much live rock just not room for it.

I see there is a frag swap up in Bemidji on Jan 21st. I have to work or I would say lets car pool up there. Probably some good deals to be had if you go!

i saw that, just didn't want to road trip that far on the hope i find something cool. i am planning an LED layout tonight and thinking about starting to collect all the stuff for that. that will keep me busy for a while and i think i can wait for the next metro area swap. not that i could have taken any home from the last swap, but i am geeked to go to the next one that pops up. my head is still spinning right now trying to decide what i want. i am trying to figure out when to add an acan and the aforementioned frog/hammer/torch and thus enter the LPS bracket. i am glad the tank has been stable to this point, i am still nervous about adding too much too fast. two corals and a fish i think is fine for a month and a half. i think i can handle more, i just have to find the right piece at the right price.

I have one of the aquastyle kits and really like it. I'm thinking about ordering another one for my 14bc. Are you looking at building one from scratch or doing a kit?

i am looking at building my own. i am thinking of using the bridgelux leds that ledgroupbuy now has and adding two red and two turquoise to 12nw/12rb. i wish they sold the meanwell drivers though, i think i can run the white and red on one circuit and the rb and turq on the second. the aquastyle kits looked ominous to me as i would have to cut them down to get it to fit. my plan so far would keep total cost under $200. the aquastyle is nice for the price point, but i am thinking of adding the crazy color leds. maybe i just swap a few on the 36 kit for some of the new colors. my brain is beginning to overload.

EDIT: you used the kit for your 29 right? what size heatsink did you get? i see they have a couple options.

i saw that, just didn't want to road trip that far on the hope i find something cool. i am planning an LED layout tonight and thinking about starting to collect all the stuff for that. that will keep me busy for a while and i think i can wait for the next metro area swap. not that i could have taken any home from the last swap, but i am geeked to go to the next one that pops up. my head is still spinning right now trying to decide what i want. i am trying to figure out when to add an acan and the aforementioned frog/hammer/torch and thus enter the LPS bracket. i am glad the tank has been stable to this point, i am still nervous about adding too much too fast. two corals and a fish i think is fine for a month and a half. i think i can handle more, i just have to find the right piece at the right price.

Corals don't really add much bioload so if you find something you really like, add it. I added acan's and blasto's at once and hammer, chalice, and some paly's all at once. I agree with going slow when adding fish. Give at least a couple of weeks.

However, since you added the wrasse first you may want to add the clowns sooner rather than later in the hopes that the wrasse isn't very territorial yet.

i am looking at building my own. i am thinking of using the bridgelux leds that ledgroupbuy now has and adding two red and two turquoise to 12nw/12rb. i wish they sold the meanwell drivers though, i think i can run the white and red on one circuit and the rb and turq on the second. the aquastyle kits looked ominous to me as i would have to cut them down to get it to fit. my plan so far would keep total cost under $200. the aquastyle is nice for the price point, but i am thinking of adding the crazy color leds. maybe i just swap a few on the 36 kit for some of the new colors. my brain is beginning to overload.

EDIT: you used the kit for your 29 right? what size heatsink did you get? i see they have a couple options.

I got a cree kit from Nanotuners for my 29. I can not tell you how much I like it and how happy I am I pulled the trigger on the order. I waited 6 months for mine, shortly after I got mine they basically went out of business. I have the aquastyle kit over my frag tank and I really like it. I have been temped to start to play with some colors too. I am happy with the colors I am getting but I see everyone using reds now and It makes me wonder....

You can run any colors you want on the drivers, you just will be limited on how much you can modify the colors. I was thinking for my 14 doing 8RB and 4 red on one channel, and 8 NW and 4RB on another.

You can always changed leds if you are not happy with your mix. There is nothing to it.

+1 to Redstang you may want to add your other fish before your six line becomes too territorial. I had issues with my first clown beating up on everything I added. My fire goby is like a ghost, I always think he is dead, and then there he will be when food hits the tank. I can't find where he hides but that is all he does.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG!!! went to do a cleanout and move stuff about tonight, while taking the filter out i found a bristle star lodged firmly into my filter pad. there was no getting him out. it was a very nice looking one, 1/2 inch from leg tip to leg tip and a scarlet red color. DAMMIT! my duncan is pissed off tonight for some reason, so i took the time to move him over closer to where i want him and i noticed two more forming heads for a total of four that seem to be forming. at least my zoas are fine.

ApiratenamedJohn
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG!!! went to do a cleanout and move stuff about tonight, while taking the filter out i found a bristle star lodged firmly into my filter pad. there was no getting him out. it was a very nice looking one, 1/2 inch from leg tip to leg tip and a scarlet red color. DAMMIT! my duncan is pissed off tonight for some reason, so i took the time to move him over closer to where i want him and i noticed two more forming heads for a total of four that seem to be forming. at least my zoas are fine.

That's too bad about the star.

duncan has opened back up in full today and all seems to be growing well. two of the new mouths have started to form little arms, i think in the next couple weeks they should be distinct heads. the zoas just keep chugging along, no new heads yet but they are getting bigger by the day it seems.

acclimating a new torch tonight and a couple blue hermits. pics of the torch to come as soon as it calms down and opens back up.

so, a few pics for the new year...

the new torch, still not fully expanded but looking good.

390513_351283718219614_100000139671591_1524796_620666238_n.jpg

the duncan is growing more heads, and the small ones it had are growing longer stalks.

408737_351283671552952_100000139671591_1524794_2084973678_n.jpg

and a new FTS. and no, as best as i can tell none of the green on the rocks is algae, it is not slimy or sprouting. it is like someone spray painted the rock green.

400584_351283701552949_100000139671591_1524795_1969147403_n.jpg

and no, as best as i can tell none of the green on the rocks is algae, it is not slimy or sprouting. it is like someone spray painted the rock green.

Someone told me it was green coralline algae. Don't know about that but I had the same thing, and now I have all red & purple.

Someone told me it was green coralline algae. Don't know about that but I had the same thing, and now I have all red & purple.

i have small red spots on the rock that seem to be increasing. i am ever fearful of an algae bloom and am keeping my eyes open to the possibility.

Looks like coraline to me. Mine did the same. Bright green, then dark brown, followed by some small parts of purple and red.

in my efforts to find a clown pair today i struck out on the clowns. i did however find someone willing to give me great advice and willing to over order some black ocellaris in order to find a pair. and i found my YWG/tiger combo as well. the YWG is still pretty small, prolly just under an inch, but he is very good looking. i have them acclimating as i type. i am giddy to see them in the tank and to watch them pair up. they were in different tanks at the shop so i am pulling for them to be active together in the coming weeks. fingers crossed

Archived