Pod Your Reef

Is UPS ripping me off?

JDK

Is UPS overpriced I dont get it? First experiences with them.....

So last week I shipped a biocube 29 hood. They charged me 39$ which includes 9$ in surcharges that were not in the original price quote until I showed up to ship the box.

Today I go to get a price quote to ship a BC29 fish saver and an underwater fuge light and they want 17$. (who knows what surcharge they will throw at me for this one)

I have always used the US post office for shipping (ebay etc.) but recently I moved and my local post office is a real PIA to deal with.

The entire staff is sooooo lazy I have waited for 30 mins before with only 6 people in line only to hear..... "Well its 5:31 and Im going home you are gonna have to come back tomorrow" Thats govt employees for ya

Guess its off to the post office near my work tomorrow bc 17$ plus the items are gonna cost more than someone just buying new items from StevieT.

ok my rant is officially over......

I was once charged 30 dollars to ship a pair of DDR400 ram sticks from CT to California... yeah, I can see how easy it is for them to screw it up. Just use the online site to estimate shipping costs mehtinks.

I'm a daily UPS shipper for my business. Tips to reduce UPS shipping:

Use online shipping, pre-printed labels get reduced rates

Over sized and over 70lbs get higher rates. Measure your box and input that data for reduced rates.

If shipping to residential, be sure to mark it as such.

Validate the address.

If you want to use FedEx, pay with an Amex to get 5% back.

Sounds like you went into a UPS store, you pay more there. Something has to pay for that convince.

Shipping is biased on weight, dimensions, speed and distance.

How big of a box was that hood put in and did you send it ground?

I love UPS, but give them hundreds of boxes per month with great intensive rates. Business's are not paying what you are quoted at that store.

$17 for the fish saver and underwater light is also too high. That is 2 lbs. Did you use ground? Even if it was a 20x8x8 box wouldn't add any dim weight surcharges. UPS store is a no go, use ups.com next time much better rates.

Did you buy a box there, packing material? They do charge for those of course.

Addition: Most casual shippers here online will just use USPS because it is cheaper* without a UPS account and easy since you can do it right from paypal. Or you can sign up at USPS and do it right from there.

Edited by StevieT
lol. When you do this for 5+ years, as you probably know, it's like you work for UPS yourself.

Yes. I got tired of the "fuel surcharges". My UPS account rep has changed about 10 times and they never return calls or emails. But I have to say, Quantum view saves the day.

Oh and you know what, I use their express boxes for ground shipping all the time. ;)

Edited by metrokat

i never used UPS i have always stuck with USPS but the 2 pound package you sent sounds like you got ripped off. I like USPS because of the price and i use their priority boxes to ship express lol

Yes. I got tired of the "fuel surcharges". My UPS account rep has changed about 10 times and they never return calls or emails. But I have to say, Quantum view saves the day.

Oh and you know what, I use their express boxes for ground shipping all the time. ;)

Yeah they don't care about those boxes. I have one vendor that uses the international ones all the time. Me I purchase every box but have a specific way of packing everything and no free box can take advantage of possible damage.

I had an awesome rep up until a year ago. She called every month just to check on things. got me better rates to Canada and tried to get my overseas. I have not herd from my new one, no idea who they actually are. :angry:

The delivery area surcharges are what chap me. I understand some bum #### areas take extra time to get to but when you know where someplace actually is and they still ding you 3+$ I go to USPS if I can.

Quantum view is the shet. Love seeing inbound

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I started my brand new online business and started with USPS, but when I saw the boxes and how tiny they were I laughed and called UPS....

I went down to Walmart and picked up boxes at 58 cents per large box and 38 cents for the smaller ones... We are talking about 12x12x11 and 14x14x14.

Then UPS gives me better rates because I cut out USPS and just choose them.

End result is the saving are passed on to the buyer...

But I did have to work with UPS to get the rates on my website...

For example, my first two customers, I quoted them a low online rate then I went to the UPS store to drop off the box and pay there, then they quote me double the price and my jaw almost comes off.

I take my package angry and call my UPS rep, he apologizes and says UPS store has there own rates, what?

And he fixes my account and gets me all setup through paypal and I see the huge price difference.

If you are going to ship, use the UPS online, print your label and never go to pay the rate into the UPS store, never, just walk in and drop off your paid package and smile on the way out, I did and it felt great!!!!

Edited by mikeguerrero
Sounds like you went into a UPS store, you pay more there. Something has to pay for that convince.

Did you buy a box there, packing material? They do charge for those of course.

No I used a box I had at home as well as peanuts and bubble wrap I always save that stuff and have it lying around. Ironic as it is it was an old UPS box. Gonna go to the US post office tomorrow and if that is high then I will try the online thing. I can see the overhead costs a UPS retail store being passed on to me so I will not go that route any longer and do the web thang. Thanks for all the tips guys.

No I used a box I had at home as well as peanuts and bubble wrap I always save that stuff and have it lying around. Ironic as it is it was an old UPS box. Gonna go to the US post office tomorrow and if that is high then I will try the online thing. I can see the overhead costs a UPS retail store being passed on to me so I will not go that route any longer and do the web thang. Thanks for all the tips guys.

You can get rates from USPS by just going to USPS.com

I went down to Walmart and picked up boxes at 58 cents per large box and 38 cents for the smaller ones... We are talking about 12x12x11 and 14x14x14.

If you get more volume make sure you check out uline.com

If you do get set up there make sure you have them set up free shipping over $300

/ free StevieT logistics advice

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
You can get rates from USPS by just going to USPS.com

If you get more volume make sure you check out uline.com

If you do get set up there make sure you have them set up free shipping over $300

/ free StevieT logistics advice

Thanks,

I looked into their prices and they are nice... And they have a multitude of selection for all types of boxes..

Unfortunately, I am not Marinedepot, LOL

So for now, I will only pick up what I need from Walmart... But I can see myself using this site if I start to grow...

MG

• 8 years later...

When I went to a ups store to return these 2 amazon echo dots. I had the clerk scan the 2 barcodes in the email given to me by amazon. He knew I had 2 of the devices in the same box. I could not return 2 things in one box because he said they’d get all bashed around where amazon would charge me a fee for damages. Therefore he had me buy another box for $10.00 before I could ship it. So I reached out to corporate and complained and they refunded my $10. So is ups supposed to box and package the products for free? I know kohl’s does the boxing and packaging of the product for free when they scan the return barcodes given in the email and Kohl’s is open for amazon returns 7 days a week. Where ups is only open for amazon returns 6 days a week. So I don’t get it? Is ups supposed package amazon returns for free? 

Edited by Days18938
More detail

Shipping is just generally more expensive these days (country-wide trucker shortage).

UPS is by far the most expensive of the big three (UPS, FedEx,

USPS), but IMO their service is far superior. FedEx seems to take their sweet time getting things delivered, and I wouldn’t trust the post office to move a steel block without them breaking it. 

To save money with UPS, set up an online account, and drop the already labeled items off at a depot or UPS store. DO NOT ship through the UPS store. Enter correct weight and dimensions in the website when creating the label.