Cultivated Reef

My New 50G! Long Cadlight's Artisan!

tokendog

tokendog many thanks!

I just got off the phone with tyler and he is going to sketch something up for me.

I concur with removing the hermits from the tank, I dont want any in this build.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Token many thanks!

Are you able to use the shelf that came with the stand or does the new sump and TIA 1150 skimmer height prevent it? Also any fans in the stand or heat issues?

No, I chose not to use the shelf. I did not like it limiting my options in terms of routing plumbing and wires. It would help organize them a bit, but I find the two holes in the back panel allow for plenty of wire management.

Plus, I just checked, the shelf would not fit at all with the TIA 1150 in there. You would have to add new holes further up.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I added a bunch of stuff this past week. I have a thing for Maxi-Mini Anemones so I've dedicated a section of my LR to hosting them.

I've added 7 to the tank in all, but here's pictures of 4 of them.

m11s.jpg

16977312.jpg

37513835.jpg

23455872.jpg

I also added a Rainbow Well Open Brain and Rainbow colored chalice. I will get pictures of them and the other anemones this Sunday.

Equipment wise, I've added a Nextreef MR1 Phosban reactor and I ordered a BRS Deluxe Reactor because i want to compare the two and either I'll run carbon in one / GFO in the other, or I'll hook up whichever I do not like to my biocube.

So far for a stocking update I have the following:

Fish:

• 2 Clownfish
  • 1 Pajama Cardinal
  • 1 Lobocki (spelling this wrong, I know) Fairy Wrasse
  • 1 Mandarin (eating well and the pod population is still established)

Anemones:

• 1 Rose Anemone (small, about the size of a golf ball but growing)
  • 7 Maxi-Minis of various colors and sizes (love these guys, I could dedicate an entire tank to them)
  • 1 Orange Ricordea
  • 1 Blue Ricordea
  • 1 Neon Green Ricordea
  • 1 Baseball sized GSP
  • 1 Rainbow Wells Brain
  • 1 Rainbow Chalice
  • 1 Purple/Green Hammer
  • 1 Orange Thorny Mushroom
  • 1 Blue Thorny Mushroom
  • 1 Neon Orange mushroom
  • Various other mushrooms around the tank
  • 1Baseball size of Zoas (Super Orange)

Equipment:

• 50G Cadlights Long Artisan
  • 30G Elite Aquatics Custom Sump with dual filter socks
  • Cadlights TIA 1150 Skimmer
  • 2x AI Sol Super Blue LEDs
  • 1 Nextreef MR1 Reactor
  • 1 BRS Deluxe Reactor
  • Tunze Osmolator
  • JBJ Nano Glo LED light (sump)
  • 2 Vortech MP10s
  • APEX Aqua Controller

Looking great, our equipment list is nearly identical, thanks for also pointing me to Tyler at EA.

I placed a deposit and he is busy at work!

Do you have a new FTS bychance?

It's all so disorganized and I'm not happy with it, but I will do my best to clean it up a bit and get pictures on here by Sunday.

Thanks for looking!

More pictures coming today... but in the meantime, this is my Rainbow Wells brain that I just fed a piece of silverside to. He grabbed it happily.

6864249013_53546120e6_b.jpg

Thanks for the comments on my thread. Can I see the Sol Blue's mounted and an FTS pretty please??!?!

Just read thru this entire thread, great tank. I'm requesting a FTS also, specifically how you hung your lights above the tank. Thanks!

Thanks!

The lights are hung with the hanging kit which uses a toggle bolt and two metal cables. It cost about $50.

A FTS and sump shot are due but I'm in a battle right now because of a merchant that I recently purchased from. I debated posting my bad experiences but figured it would be best for everyone who reads this to know...

The sump is now infested with flatworms. I purchased the 9 for $99 kit from IPSF and it came with the pod mat and red tang algae. I inspected them prior to putting them in the sump, but apparently not close enough. I regularly inspect my sump to make sure I have a good population of copepods for my Mandarin, and after I put in the red tang / pod mat, I started to notice the little worms on the glass. At first they were solid white, which I know can be the good ones, but now I am seeing the red ones.

Plus, I noticed a HUGE aiptasia on a piece of my Marco dry rock that I put in to the sump when I first set it up so that I could use it to seed other tanks in the future. I've taken the rock out and do not see any other of the aiptasia in the sump, but it was not present before I added the stuff from IPSF.

The main tank seems to be clear of the buggers but who knows. I am going to cut off the sump from the tank and hit it with Flatworm exit. I will then use a shop vac to suck everything out of the sump and add fresh saltwater / chaeto back to it.

I'm hoping that this will take care of the problem before it gets to the main tank. If I notice any flatworms in the main tank, I guess it will be next...

That sucks! I just ordered pods and a cuc from reefcleaners, be here tomorrow. Tho I'd love to see your sump, as I stated before, I'm more interested in your FTS, including how the fixture appears over the tank. Any chance?

That sucks! I just ordered pods and a cuc from reefcleaners, be here tomorrow. Tho I'd love to see your sump, as I stated before, I'm more interested in your FTS, including how the fixture appears over the tank. Any chance?

In the middle of a water change at the moment, but I will take a FTS afterwards with the lights.

Coming along nicely. How's that skimmer working out for you, quiet?

It's very quiet, but I have yet to get a nice dark skimmate. I can get a light yellow but nothing like the gunk that I see on build threads. It will have some particulate in it, but it's still too thin for my liking.

It has gotten better since I added the ATO but I am still dialing it in and trying to find the right setting.

I think the problem is that I have my drain water go through two filter socks first and then in to the skimmer area.

The next sump I have built - when I have it built - will probably work a little differently. I'm thinking the raw drainage should go in to a skimmer area, over flow on to a shelf, then through filter socks, and then in to the fuge and so on.

I think that would be an ideal sump setup.

I'll get a FTS up tomorrow afternoon including the lights. :)

How did you like the Marco E-400 mortar and how much did you use?

I love the Marco e-400. It doesn't take much at all but I like to be safe than sorry. It holds the rock together very well after it cures. Once it is cured, the pieces are virtually inseparable. The mortar is very noticeable in the tank for the first few weeks but after a while it changes color and starts to blend in with the rest of the rock pretty well.

I'd use it again in a heart beat.

I love the Marco e-400. It doesn't take much at all but I like to be safe than sorry. It holds the rock together very well after it cures. Once it is cured, the pieces are virtually inseparable. The mortar is very noticeable in the tank for the first few weeks but after a while it changes color and starts to blend in with the rest of the rock pretty well.

I'd use it again in a heart beat.

Last time I checked it was out of stock. Is there another place to get this from?

Archived