Top Shelf Aquatics

My New 50G! Long Cadlight's Artisan!

tokendog

Yeah, the display isn't that bad actually. I like it, it's not as bad quality as the reviews make it out to be. However, the web browser version is just much more convenient and works better.

I figure with the proximity of my phone and PC, I won't really need it.

It's hard to justify the display when I can access the interface so easily.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update would love to see new pics.

I am going with the same tank soon but starfire rear and overflow located to the right rear corner (rectangle not trapezoid).

I'm going with the same 2 lights, and the white cabinet. I hope it comes out looking minimalist and sleek.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new additions to the tank:

Two ricordea

dsc00856gc.jpg

Another ricordea

6737350535_11c623aa6d_b.jpg

Leather:

6737351979_d0b2935b33_b.jpg

Rose Anemone (not necessarily new, but none the less):

6737353209_0b480c0b23_b.jpg

Whisker Corals:

6737354897_58ae5c5f29_b.jpg

Orange Mushroom:

6737357991_cd5978e60c_b.jpg

Great looking start to your tank. Looks like you are going with LPS and softies. Any plans for SPS?

I also have a custom 112g Cadlights that I ordered from Eddie. Delivery was a bit of an issue the first time around, but Eddie did take care of it. Now that it's all setup, I love the tank.

Great looking start to your tank. Looks like you are going with LPS and softies. Any plans for SPS?

I also have a custom 112g Cadlights that I ordered from Eddie. Delivery was a bit of an issue the first time around, but Eddie did take care of it. Now that it's all setup, I love the tank.

Thanks!

Eventually, but I am waiting for the tank to mature some more. I prefer LPS and softies because of the movement that occurs with water flow. I like things like Maxi-Minis, leathers, xenias, GSP, etc. SPS tends to be stationary in comparison, though I agree there is nothing like a mature SPS tank. Beautiful and many different layers of coral.

I do plan on adding some later on as I definitely have the lighting and flow for it.

Also forgot to mention the equipment update...

I purchased a Tunze ATO and it will be here Tuesday. It will be nice to not have to constantly replace 1 gallon of evaporated water every day...plus it'll help my skimmer remain consistent. It has been having trouble keeping up with the water level fluctuations due to having an open top tank with a good bit of surface agitation.

Your tank is gorgeous, btw. I am just starting to read through it but I love the layout of your thread and the tank itself looks great. :>

I purchased a Tunze ATO and it will be here Tuesday. It will be nice to not have to constantly replace 1 gallon of evaporated water every day...plus it'll help my skimmer remain consistent. It has been having trouble keeping up with the water level fluctuations due to having an open top tank with a good bit of surface agitation.

That's a great investment, I love my tunze ato. Great new additions too.

That's a great investment, I love my tunze ato. Great new additions too.

Thank you, I need to check back in on your thread. It was one of my inspirations when I was first setting up my tank.

I did a lot of research on ATOs and was going to go with the JBJ, but finally decided to spend the extra money, and go with something that the majority of the community highly recommends.

The short-term plans for my tank are as follows:

• Build a stand for my 8G Nuvo that will go beside the main Cadlights tank and act as a QT / frag tank
  • The stand will also act as a means of organizing & concealing the equipment for the Cadlights 50G
  • Purchase a Phosban Reactor
  • Redo and improve the drain plumbing
  • Make a nice screen lid that doesn't take away from the rimless Cadlights (I like Wrasse, and don't want to find them on the floor next to the tank)
  • Find a means of automating water changes as much as possible so that I am more likely to be religious about doing them

Here is some of the live stock. I really need to practice more with my DSLR so that I can improve the picture quality. I also need to get a nice macro lens..

The first inhabitants after the CUC was a Clownfish pair. They have played nicely with ALL of the new inhabitants. Never shown a single sign of aggression towards any of the fish, which I always made sure were larger than both of the clowns.

6738625609_4d2137c96f_b.jpg

6738624667_6ce35e7f88_b.jpg

My Pajama Cardinal. He was the 2nd introduction to the tank and is the most visible. He loves to hover around in the open area of the tank and casually drifts along inspecting EVERY thing in the tank. He does this every day, all day. Very cool guy.

6738621201_b0523b559f_b.jpg

My Spotted Mandarin. He's another cool customer. Just cruises along the tank seeking out any little pest he can spy. At night he disappears and chills out, but during the day, he's all over the place. I've been successful in seeding my tank with copepods and continue to monitor their population. All is well and the sump seems more than up to the task of supply him with fresh food.

6738623739_4104fffc7e_b.jpg

And the latest addition is my Lubbocki Fairy Wrasse... He was shy for the first day or two, but now he's out and about almost all day. He eats just as well as the others and gets along nicely with every one. If I meddle too much with the tank, he will go to one of the caves where he can watch me closely from the darkness, but other than that, he loves hanging out with the Clowns and Cardinal.

6738620103_fbe94df287_b.jpg

and my Green Star Polyp. I am keeping this on its own rock right now and will probably set it up on its own "island" in the future... I'm hoping to avoid having these guys take over the tank, but I love the way it looks. It adds a lot of movement and a vibrant green to the tank.

The green you see here is pretty close to what it looks like in person...

6738622271_65aaacd059_b.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'm not adding any more fish for a while. Honestly though, it wasn't until I added the Lubbocki that my skimmer started to pull out some skimmate. Its still not pulling anything heavy as my filter socks seems to filter most of it, but I want to give it a few months before pushing the tank's fish capacity any further... I think in the long run I want one or 2 more Wrasse and that's about it.

I have a Nano and 2 Biocubes that I can use to move out live stock if it becomes a problem, so I'm not too worried about over doing it at this point.

Love the rics!

Thanks! I'm going to be adding quite a few more in the future. I love them too!

I don't see how people live without ATOs. I got in and installed my Tunze ATO and I love it already. It's incredibly accurate. I have a 50g with around a 20-25 gal sump. I took out half a cup of water and within 30 seconds the Tunze detected it and replaced the lost water.

The install was very easy and I just need to route all of my wires to finish it up.

Next on my list of things to do is simplifying my water change process as much as possible. The tank is right next to a window so I might actually just empty water outside of the house and then have a 20 gallon storage container to replace the old water next to the tank.

I want it to be as simple as possible so that I am less likely to neglect doing it. :) I figure automating as much as possible is the best way to ensure I keep up on my maintenance.

I bought the screen net from BRS & the rest from home depot for a lid. IMO it added to the look of the tank with the lid! I really like it.

I bought the screen net from BRS & the rest from home depot for a lid. IMO it added to the look of the tank with the lid! I really like it.

I will have to check that out, thanks!

Do you have pics of the screen? I seen a few but they all have the typical screen guard corners.

I wonder how this guy made his:

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/memb...ies-cube-3.html

P1080951.jpg

P1080948_edited-1.jpg

P1080943.jpg

I like the way that looks a lot. It doesn't seem like it would take away from the tank at all... Damn, some people are just crafty :)

tokendog some fast things please!

1.) can we get a fts from a few feet back so I can see the stand as well please and a picture of the pluming of the new sump?

2.) speaking of the sump what are its measurements (measurements of each compartment too if possible!) and the price. I am specc'ing a CAD LIGHTS now and would rather delete the sump , keep the skimmer and go with the EA sump day one.

3.) I am assume the CAD TIA skimmer fits and works well in the EA sump?

4.) Did you think of integrating EA's ATO boxes into the sump? I am thinking of ordering a sump from them and getting the ato reservior integrated so I have a 1 box solution down below. Of course the footprint of the return, fuge, skimmer area or possible all 3 would need to be reduced in order to add this feature.

1.) can we get a fts from a few feet back so I can see the stand as well please and a picture of the pluming of the new sump?

2.) speaking of the sump what are its measurements (measurements of each compartment too if possible!) and the price. I am specc'ing a CAD LIGHTS now and would rather delete the sump , keep the skimmer and go with the EA sump day one.

4.) Did you think of integrating EA's ATO boxes into the sump? I am thinking of ordering a sump from them and getting the ato reservior integrated so I have a 1 box solution down below. Of course the footprint of the return, fuge, skimmer area or possible all 3 would need to be reduced in order to add this feature.

I will go through and answer each question in a little bit, but in the meantime.. I just added some new additions about 30 minutes ago.

A banana colored rock anemone :

6802851047_f4db5cfa73_b.jpg

6802855213_5a87f1d09a_b.jpg

Thorny Blue Mushroom...he's crowding the red mushroom underneath him, so I will change placement in a bit.

These guys are cool looking.

6802852347_63503170f7_b.jpg

Another rock anemone, this one is purple and was a freebie...I love surprises!

6802853463_34c35efd32_b.jpg

A green / purple Hammer coral. This was the one I originally meant to purchase and saw the above corals...I can never go shopping for corals and buy just one, no matter how hard I try...

6802854305_d0156d14ca_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

2. I paid, if I recall, like around $400 with shipping for the sump. I would do it again in an instant. It's a beautiful sump and is enormous. The workmanship on it is great.

3. The TIA 1155 (think that's the model) fits perfectly. There is plenty of room in this sump.

4. He didn't offer ATO reservoir when I ordered mine, or else I would have looked at that option. I definitely like the idea, but oh well. The setup I have now is working great.

I did not provide FTS because the corals are kinda just chilling in different spots waiting for me to decide where I want them to go long-term. Plus, I have been lazy and haven't redone my plumbing yet.

I am working on stocking at the moment and adding some additional clean up crew. I am going to be adding bristle worms, spaghetti worms, and a few more snails. I am removing the hermits from the tank because I do not like them. They are interesting to watch, but cause too much mischief in my tank.

Thanks!

I just ended up getting $350 as a gift so I'm deciding what my next purchase should be...

Archived