Top Shelf Aquatics

8g Biocube conversion

NeveSSL

Hi all,

I am probably going to purchase an 8g Biocube from a local guy. I tried to get out of this hobby for a while, and did for about 6 months or so and now I need a tank. :) My wife and I are planning on buying a house in the next year or two at the most and at that point I will be building doing a large tank. Until then, I'm going to put together an 8g nano.

I actually have some supplies from my last tank that I was going to convert. I have 12 LEDs, but I only know that I have one red one and 3 regular blue ones. All of the other ones I need to test, but I can't seem to find two AA batteries right now.

Anyway, how many LEDs and which mix would you guys recommend? I'm thinking something along the lines of maybe 3 or 4 XP-G Neutral Whites with 6 XT-E Royal Blues, 1 regular blue, and maybe 2 true violets at 700mAh, no optics (although I have about forty 60 degree optics if need be ). Would that be too much for an 8g? I get this feeling it might be... lol... but I'd really like to get the regular blue in there and it will need to be balanced with the others.

I'm thinking about getting a heatsink from Nanocustoms since they seem to have a direct drop-in for the hood. They're fairly expensive, but would make the conversion process really easy and simple as opposed to going a slightly cheaper route that involves a lot more research and work. What do you guys think?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

The heat sink from nanotuners is so easy to attach. I think it's worth it!

I'm running 5 nw and 5 rb plus 1 blue. Two strings on two buck pucks. Easy to control and balance. You won't need optics. I'm not an expert, but it seems to work for me. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! How do you like the color with the one blue? Have you tried it without the blue? That sounds like exactly what I'm wanting to do. :)

Brandon

Archived