6867539417_745cf0e5b9_z.jpg

new updated fts Jan.15.02

6699385113_691e83b53a_z.jpg

EDIT: updated side tank shot Dec.12.2011

KY0C0032-2.jpg

FTS Dec.12.2011

KY0C0056.jpg

hello!

just thought i'd post up the progress so far on my first salt water tank. learning alot and just got everything started today. shoutout to member JoelRhale for helping me out with alot of questions and helping me get some equipment, thanks a ton Joel!

i started this tank up because i always wanted a saltwater tank, now i have a good reason to start, it's for my 1.5yr old daughter who loves finding nemo. i always had an interest in starting one up but have been busy with other hobbies (cars/photography) but now seemed like a good time to start.

anyways, setup is:

-10 gallon tank

-jager 75w heater

-hydro 240power head

-Aquaclear 110 (modded) i just have filter floss in there right now, later on i'll use chaeto.

-Odyessa T5-HO 10k lights (2 blue/2white)

-surface skimmer (not installed yet)

i live in a condo so space was tight, and i wanted to start small. here's a pic of where it sits in my living room.

KY0C9758-2.jpg

plans for livestock are :

-2 ocellaris clownfish

-1 emrald crab

-hermits/snails

coral:

-zoa's

-GSP

-later on some torch coral and some finger leather.

i'm going to take my time and do things right but i can't wait to start to get some fish and coral so i can start to take some pictures. for anyone interested in photography i'm shooting with my canon 1dmkii w/ 24-70L F2.8 or the 70-200L F4.

so i got it going today, added 14.2lbs of live rock, 10lbs live sand.

KY0C9760.jpg

now i play the waiting game. after a couple of hours, my readings were:

-PH 8.2

-ammonia 0.25ppm

-temp 80.04

-nitrite 0

-nitrate 5.0ppm

some beginer questions if anyone could help me out.

so in my search for RO/DI water, the local grocery store had none, and my LFS ran out. i was only able to grab about 4 gallons from them. i also did not have any jugs to bring the water home in. so instead i bought 2 5gal jugs of seaporta pre-mixed saltwater (mixed w/instant ocean) now they say that its mixed to a specific gravity of 1.023-1.025 but that was not the case at all. my sg was reading at 1.021-1.022. the day before i bought a bag of instant ocean reef salt so i had to add some salt toget it to 1.025, can anyone verify that i'm reading this right? (i look at the middle of the needle?)

KY0C9759.jpg

also, i think i'm having a problem with the temp. is it possible that the lights are heating up the water too much? the heater is set on 78 yet i'm getting temp readings of 79.9 even 80. i had left the house for about 5hrs for dinner and came back to a temp of 81. i hope i diden't kill my live rock? is my temp probe too high up on the tank? lights too close to the water? the house is at 73 and the tank isn't in the sunlight. would i need a chiller?

and what kind of light schedual should i be doing for the cycling process? 12hrs on 12 off?

Thanks for reading my long ass post, i'll be updating as things progress!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-You are reading the hydrometer right, make sure there are no air bubbles on it. A salinity from 1.020-1.026 is fine, just make sure it is stable.

-The temperature of the tank is fine, nothing is wrong with your heater. The tank can safely go as high as 82 degrees, again you want to keep it stable.

-Since the tank is cycling I wouldn't keep the lights on longer than 2-3 hours, to keep algae down. I only run 5 hours of light on my fully stocked tank, 12 is way overkill.

-You are reading the hydrometer right, make sure there are no air bubbles on it. A salinity from 1.020-1.026 is fine, just make sure it is stable.

-The temperature of the tank is fine, nothing is wrong with your heater. The tank can safely go as high as 82 degrees, again you want to keep it stable.

-Since the tank is cycling I wouldn't keep the lights on longer than 2-3 hours, to keep algae down. I only run 5 hours of light on my fully stocked tank, 12 is way overkill.

cool, thanks for the help, i just want to make sure that i'm doing everything properly. even tho it's only the second day, i don't see any algee growth or anything. water is nice and clear today tho.

Love the stand =0)

thanks! my wife said you have good taste..LOL

well the tank cleared up today, not seeing any hitchhikers or anything but it's probably too early. my temp stays within the 79degree range, i've been checking it every hour. i turned the power head off for now to help settle things. here's a FTS of how it's looking, don't mind the heater and thermo and wires, the thermo is going to go on the back and the heater mount is behind the rock, i just needed easy access to it now for the startup. i also have to try to get just a bit more sand in the cave.

KY0C9763.jpg

tonight i'm going to check my parameters and clean the glass, (that's the hazy stuff you see)

I have the same light fixture as you. Has 2 10k bulbs, 2 atinics and the moon light leds. I found over a 5-6 hour periord the temps in the tank went from 77 to 81!!! I had to hang the light from the ceiling before it cooked the fish and coral. It's now 6in above the tank and it's been on pretty much all day and the temps are staying cool at 77. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Woohoo! Glad to see it coming together!

10 hours is a good schedule a lot of people use. Lunars on 24/7, actinics for 10 hours, 10k for 8 starting an hour after and ending an hour before the actinics go off.

I will hopefully get your package in the mail tomorrow, I totally forgot to today, good weekend like I planned ;) haha.

I have the same light fixture as you. Has 2 10k bulbs, 2 atinics and the moon light leds. I found over a 5-6 hour periord the temps in the tank went from 77 to 81!!! I had to hang the light from the ceiling before it cooked the fish and coral. It's now 6in above the tank and it's been on pretty much all day and the temps are staying cool at 77. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

I've noticed my temp fluctuating between 78.5-80degrees. would that be too much of a temprature difference that it would later effect my ocerilleas clowns or soft coral?

Woohoo! Glad to see it coming together!

10 hours is a good schedule a lot of people use. Lunars on 24/7, actinics for 10 hours, 10k for 8 starting an hour after and ending an hour before the actinics go off.

I will hopefully get your package in the mail tomorrow, I totally forgot to today, good weekend like I planned ;) haha.

HAHA nice! ;)

i've decreased the time that i run the lights on for. now it's about 10hrs for the antics and 10 for 8. i haven't seen any algee growth yet, no hitchhikers either. the only one i saw looked like a little snail perhaps? lol something was moving inside of it but i have no clue what it is..lol

Clowns and soft corals are really hardy and forgiving. That, and that temp fluctuation is actually pretty minor comparatively.

I didn't see hardly any hitchhikers until months later. I see a few worms, snails, and starfish here and there.

Clowns and soft corals are really hardy and forgiving. That, and that temp fluctuation is actually pretty minor comparatively.

I didn't see hardly any hitchhikers until months later. I see a few worms, snails, and starfish here and there.

oh ok good to know...i don't know how sensitive these things are.

the waiting game sucks. lol

^definatly want to do it right!

so i added the live rock from my LFS, i got all cured live rock (14.5lbs) and 10lbs of live sand. i added it on oct.8th/2011 and have been checking params since. if you guys could give me your two cents on how cycling is going that would be great, i've been reading that with cured live rock i may not see a ammonia spike. i'm not sure how much die off i got since the rock was in water within an hour.

oct.09

PH=8.2

ammonia=0.25ppm

nitrite=0

nitrate=5.0ppm

specific gravity=1.025

temp=80.4

oct.10

PH=8.0

ammonia=0.25ppm

nitrite=0.25ppm

nitrate=0ppm

specific gravity=1.025

temp=80.5

oct 11

PH=8.0

ammonia=0.25ppm

nitrite=0.25ppm

nitrate=10ppm

specific gravity=1.025

temp=80.2

oct.12

PH=8.0

ammonia=0.25ppm

nitrite=0.25ppm

nitrate=20ppm

specific gravity=1.025

temp=80.3

so ya any advice on how this cycling is going would be great.

i spotted what i thought was a snail but he's gone now. the only other growth i have in the tank are these, any ID on them?

KY0C9774.jpg

and this red thing, there's alot more spots of this on some other rocks but they are just spots, not growing out like this one

KY0C9771.jpg

and here's a pic of the rock just cause i thought it looked cool B)

KY0C9772-1.jpg

Cycling takes quite a while so you should test your water every 3-4 days. normally cycling last about 2-3 weeks depending on what kind of rocks/sand you used. but after amm. and nitrite is gone you should start thinking about your Clean Up Crew ( snails, hermits etc). save your test for a better time, till now, just wait and relax let the cycle run its course

Feather duster + coralline =0)

This.

Params looks good, once you get your amm and trite zeroed you can grab your CUC. Next week I bet it will be done.

Your temp sounds fine, you shouldn't have any problems. I keep mine at 78-79.

It's going to look sweet with that skimmer and bg on it.

• 2 weeks later...

little update on how the tank is coming along. (ready for a picture dump? lol)

params leveled out at 0 for a while, so i added my clean up crew:

-4 blue leg hermits

-2 astrea snails

-2 bumble bee snails

-2 Dwarf Ceriths

i think one of the bumble bee snails are dead because i saw him and one of the astrea snails going at it? now all i see is a empty bumble bee shell at the front of my tank that hasen't moved for days...guess they diden't get along.

about a week or so after that, i just added my emrald crab and a skunk cleaner shrimp and my first zoa. the LFS had a sale so i picked it up, it was bigger than a little frag, actually came on a small peice of live rock, looks to me (and Joelrhale) like the majority of them are the radioactive dragon eyes. i can't wait to add more in time!

the emrald crab was camera shy but the shrimp (mr.bubbles) wasen't

KY0C9817.jpg

one of my hermits (kermit)

KY0C9787.jpg

the zoa's (brushed the dust off the macro lense for these)

KY0C9800-1.jpg

KY0C9814.jpg

and that's about where i'm at now. the plan was that in about two weeks give or take, to pick up a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish buttt i'm having a nice algee bloom right now. i want to figure out how to get this under controll before i add the fish. i was hoping that the emrald crab would take care of it but he seems kinda shy right now. so i was thinking about adding some turbo snails and maybe another hermit or two.

fts:

KY0C9811.jpg

oh i also added a surface skimmer thanks to joelrhale who sent it up to canada for me! thanks again buddy! :D

Nice looking start! keep us updated on progress.

* I would agree to hang the lights alittle higher, I run my tank at 78* but after all 4 bulbs began to run for acouple hours my temp climbs to 80 and mine are about 8 inches from the water.

GL with the tank though

Is that aptasia i see on the zoa rock?

Nice looking start! keep us updated on progress.

* I would agree to hang the lights alittle higher, I run my tank at 78* but after all 4 bulbs began to run for acouple hours my temp climbs to 80 and mine are about 8 inches from the water.

GL with the tank though

Is that aptasia i see on the zoa rock?

thanks, i've been watching my temps closley and it seems to range from the lowest 77.5 to 80.1 at most. i don't think it's aptasia, i think it's more of a yellow polyp from what i've been researching.

something like this:

100110-211a.jpg

did a water change last night and plucked out some algee, also tossed in a nitrite sponge.

woke up this morning and noticed that mr.bubbles my shrimp molted :o

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDI1LTAwMDYxLmpwZw.jpg

i also moved the heater into the aquaclear 110 which cleared up alot of room in the tank.

i thought i'd post an update.

i was having a fight with some green hair algae

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=284853

unfortunally, mr.bubbles my skunk cleaner shrimp died. :( i'm not sure if it was the peroxide dip or if a larger scarlet hermit took him out. i was pretty bum'd about it, since i diden't have any fish in the tank to feed, i fed him by hand. he would take food right from my fingers. after the treatment he woulden't eat anymore? about 4 days later he died. :( it's funny how attached you get to your tank creatures.

so i added two big scarlet hermits to fight the GHA. after mr. bubbles died i checked over the entire tank and i coulden't find a problem. all my params were in check, and everything else was doing fine.

today was a good day tho! i added a mated pair of ocellaris clownfish that were tank raised. :) i have yet to name them but i will soon. i'll be getting another shrimp in about a week or so. i wanted fish in there now so that the next shrimp can feed off of the uneaten fish food. anyways, here's some pics.

the bigger clown (don't mind the glass i'm about to clean it right now)

KY0C9891.jpg

KY0C9887.jpg

and a current FTS

KY0C9893.jpg

and she's pretty happy with the new addition of the clowns..lol

KY0C9864.jpg

Sorry to hear about the shrimp. I lost my first one too and I got very attached after he started climbing on my hand anytime I was messing around in the tank.

The new clowns are adorable though! Looking good!

Awesome new additions B)

The bigger one is probably the female. I'm glad your daughter liked the clowns!

oh right, i got them mixed up. it's definatly nice to finally get fish in the tank, gives me something to look at without looking hard for hermits..lol my daughter has been loving the clowns! when i got home from work she ran up to me, grabbed my hand and pulled me to the tank, and she was pointing and saying "WOWWW" at the clownfish..LOL then she says "hi" to the clowns and runs away. she's a character.

Sorry to hear about the shrimp. I lost my first one too and I got very attached after he started climbing on my hand anytime I was messing around in the tank.

The new clowns are adorable though! Looking good!

ya it sucked about the shrimp. i really want another one but i got the clowns so i thought i'd hold off a bit before i pick up another one.

i read over your thread, our tanks are very similar! same size, same lights, pair of clowns..lol that pom pom crab you have looks awsome.

Haha we had family friends over last night and the woman who's like mid/late 30's was acting like that with her husband. I guess she has never seen a reef tank before.

Then she flipped when I just turned on the actinics and let them glow.

Archived