IMG_20111125_235930.jpg

Tank

-20H AGA

Stand

-Found at a thrift store

-Cleared coated with gloss and sanded down

Filtration

-AquaClear 70 modded fuge

-DIY skimmer(1"PVC pipe, air pump and wooden airstone)

-18lbs Marcorocks (dry)

-1.5lbs Liverock(to seed dry rock)

-10lbs Livesand

-2lbs Dry sand/crushed coral

Flow

-Koralia 1(240gph)

-Rio 1100(temporary)

Heater

-Hydor 100w

-Odyssea digital thermometer

Lighiting

-2x Boost LED Par30 4xblue 1xwhite

ATO

-DIY ATO

WISHLIST

-MP10

-Reef Octopus BH-1000

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Score!

1. Leave the rim.

2. Sand.

3. Surface skimmer for AC and weekly changes (works for my 20H).

4. Spray paint all the way (unless you go rimless or BB).

Thanks guys, I want to go rimless but scared the tank will fall apart lol...

Sand it is!

Surface skimmer? Hmm I will look into that.

Thanks again, I cant wait to get started!

Yeah for sure i want to see another 20H up and running! I have an ac70 on mine and i also have a reef octopus hob skimmer that is a beast i love it. The reef octo has a surface skimmer attachment so it pulls the crap off the top of the water and my water is always perfectly clear :) May want to look into one, unless you going to do a sump.

Thanks!

I have one of those corallife HOB skimmers laying around but its a bit bulky and its rated for like 100g lol

Im over sumps, I had one on my 20L and took up too much space and was more work than needed for a 20g.

I think Im just going to have an ATO, powerhead, skimmer(?), AC70(with carbon and chaeto), light and heater on this tank. I want to keep this real simple and low maintenance!

Definitely leave the trim on that one. And you should look into a HOB skimmer for sure if you wanna do any heavy stocking along with weekly water changes. And go with sand. I saw a website that has golden color or pinkish color sand. They could possibly be an awesome alternative for looks. Let's see some pictures when you get it up and running.

You can also add a HOB overflow and hook up a refugium. That will help with water quality also. And as long as you watch your water parameters and don't skip on water changes then you should never really have to dose. Everything you need should be in your salt mix.

No overflows or anything like that!

Im thinking either, whatever I can get HOB on there that wont look to bad or AIO with an area for chaeto, carbon and a skimmer.

Thing is I dont want to deal with return pump and lighting for an AIO. So I think its all HOB for now but I still have a ways to go before I set this beast up.

Stocking wise I want:

fish-

2x clowns

1 wrasse

1-2 other

Coral-

Lots of SPS

Few LPS

Zoa Garden

All I use is a $5 Home Depot clamp light with a 6500k 75w equivalent CFL bulb, so like $10 total. If you plan on having that many fish I would definitely do a fuge tho. Without it you always run the risk of something bad happening over time from heavy bioload/ nitrates. IMO

I used to run my 20L with a 10g sump/fuge worked great I just want this one to be a little more simple!

I might just do 2Xclowns but I still think I can do this with the other fish.

I was lookong at the aquatraders skimmers/refugiums tho. Ive always recommended a sump or fuge but I want to see what HOB's can offer, as I have seen many people run amazing tanks without a sump or fuge. Maybe a reactor will be added but Id rather just go the ac70 and some type of skimmer route.

Yeah thats the plan as of right now. I plan on adding filter floss and making a "media basket" out of gutter guard for chaeto and carbon to make it a functional "filter"

1. Leave the rim.

2. Sand.

3. Surface skimmer for AC and weekly changes (works for my 20H).

4. Spray paint all the way (unless you go rimless or BB).

I agree with Joel 100%..... Keep us posted on this adventure. :happydance:

Ok so I figured I will use my Coralife Super Skimmer on this tank, Im just going to have to mod it. I know this skimmer is super overkill but thats what I have laying around. As for lighting, I think Im going to start off with my 150w MH and then maybe, just maybe get an AI Nano!

But in the mean time I still have to do the mods on the AC70, skimmer, paint the back black, Resilicone(Im paranoid like that), and get a heater and rocks.

So If anyone has some dry rock laying around let me know!

So Im going to wait until the 28th of october to place my LED order.

As of right now, I have completed the stand, painting the back black, modding the AC70, Modding the skimmer, and re-siliconing the tank(black).

All I need now are the rocks, sand, heater, light and a powerhead!

So far this tank has cost me:

Tank-FREE

Stand-$25

Sealer/clear coat-$0

AC70-FREE

Skimmer-$0 (I already had it)

Skimmer mod- $5

Silicone- $7

Spray paint-$4

Total= ~$41

Archived