ReefCleaners.org

Aquatic Life 115 Skimmer Air Intake Mod

roly01

Hey guys, i decided to do a little tutorial for a mod i did to my aquatic life skimmer that greatly improved its performance for me. I got this idea from a mod i saw for this skimmer online and i just decided to take it a little further. basically what this mod does is it replaces the hose for the intake to a longer one the stretches higher above the water for better air intake, but in my mod i add a valve to better control the air flow of the intake. here are the steps

Supplies Needed:

Scissors

Pliers

About 12'' of standard air line tubing

Air line valve like the one in the image shown below, this valve came with my Mj 1200 power head and it is what gave me the idea

th_IMG_1442.jpg

-Before anything take apart your skimmer like the image shown below. once you have it open, the first think you will do is remove the intake hose, i pointed it out in the image blow shown as line 1. second you will have to pry off the adapter that connects the hose to the outside of the skimmer, i pointed it out in the image as line number 2.

th_Skimmer_CutAwayFlat.jpg

th_IMG_1443.jpg

-Once you've finished the steps above your going to pass your air line tubing through the hole where the adapter was. should look like this

th_IMG_1437.jpg

-Once you have the hose going through the skimmer you are going to attach the hose the the pump from where you removed the original hose, like this.

th_IMG_1438.jpg

-Finally it should look like this.

th_IMG_1439.jpg

-Now your done with doing any more modding to the inside of the skimmer, and your ready to close it up and place it back in your tank.

-Now its time to add your valve to the end of your hose, like this.

th_IMG_1441.jpg

Here's the video of me regulating the air intake of the skimmer showing how it works.

th_IMG_1446.jpg

Picture of Skimmate 2 days after water change

th_IMG_1148.jpg

thanks man, this mod gives you pretty much full control of the skimmer. ive been able to adjust the skimmer to give me a much darker/thicker skimmate then it was giving before the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice man I am thinking about this skimmer on my 20L and have read good things about it. I may give it a shot... got any pics of the skimmate you emptied out of there?

So I am getting a good amount of water in the collection cup. I adjusted the air being fed in so that the bubbles are lower but is this a part of the break in process?

Th64 I completely missed your question earlier but if this is a new skimmer you are talking about, I would leave the hose valve completely open and just adjust the knob on the side till you break in the skimmer. It should take about 3-5 days to fully break in, then start adjusting the valve to try and get some darker skimmate..

And nick the skimmate should be anywhere from a yellowish tinted water, to a dark greenish brown color, and it all depends on how much waste you have in your tank for the slimmer to pull out.. I usually empty my cup every 3 days or so with some brownish color water, with some thicker gunk on the bottom of the cup but it usually depends on my feeding during the time period.

I did this when I still had mine, made HUGE difference to a skimmer that I thought already worked well enough. Nice write up!

@roly thanks I figured to leave the valve open, and I was wondering if it was normal for it to pull so much water along w/ the gunk? I thought it would not pull too much water. But definetly getting some brown water in the cup. Going to give it a while to fully do its thing to break in

Saltohio I said a foot of tubing just in case but from what I remember all you really need is about 6" in. Of tubing but I just said a foot to safe.

Th64 if your getting allot of water try maybe opening the nob a little more so that it can release a little more water, it can also be that it's just breaking in. How often is it filling up to the point that you are emptying it out?

imanoob has a good point as wel,l it may have to do with the level of the water your skimmer is in. Anyways give it some time and if after a couple more days it continues, then maybe its is the water level or something else. here's a pic of the skimmate im getting after about two days of skimming. its actually rather light but thats because i have just done a big water change two days ago i usually pull out a little darker skimmate but that is still not bad.

th_IMG_1148.jpg

Archived