Pod Your Reef

Aquaticlife 24T5HO ---> RapidLED Retro Build

couevas

ke6dkl.jpg

All drivers, fan power supply, heatsink, and wires cleanly fixed with zip ties and adhesive sip tie anchors

Originally I wanted to mount the Typhoon controller in the fixture. This proved infeasible. The original control unit is glued in and the wrong size, so replacing it won't be clean. Also, the fixture housing itself, other than the right and left side, is metal and not easy to cut into to mount.

I went with a radio shack project box. I used a metal bracket I pulled out of the old fixture, wrapped in cardboard for insulation and extra height. This serves as a backstop for the board. I cut a rectangular hole in the lid and drilled 4 holes in the areas where the buttons are. The buttons can be depressed with a toothpick through the drilled holes. I drilled a hole in each the right and left sides for the driver output lines and the power supply.

2yo4bw4.jpg

The Typhoon mounted in a project box.

fw0zrd.jpg

FTS with new lights!!!

(30% Royal Blue, 15% Cool White)

25tg32a.jpg

The original acrylic shield fits perfectly!

Thanks!!

A couple quick pics (without a tripod, or messing around with exposures) of the tank under the two 350 mA royal blue moonlights...

11rydtk.jpg

dwxv7k.jpg

2h80i9i.jpg

What are your thoughts at this point?

I am very happy with it! No complaints at all.

I like the cool blue look, but if you are into a bit warmer color, mix in some natural whites instead of all cw's.

Archived