Top Shelf Aquatics

ayobreezie's 40 gallon tank thread, simplified

ayobreezie

Digging that minimalist aquascape and your tank is so clean! Less is definitely more! You make me just want to grab that tek fixture.

oh ya I subscribed also as we have almost the same tank size.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Digging that minimalist aquascape and your tank is so clean! Less is definitely more! You make me just want to grab that tek fixture.

oh ya I subscribed also as we have almost the same tank size.

Thanks.. yeah, I'm OCD when it comes to the tank, but that may be as far as it goes.. Haha.

I'm slowly taking out pieces of rock from the sump to try and get away with less, and so I can have more room for a things in the future. I only have a 20 long sump, so it's cramped in there. I think right now, total rock weight is about 35 - 40 lbs. Had about 45 - 55 before.

I thought threads auto-subscribed like the ones on my automotive forums.. no wonder I never get updates.. =/

Nice updates...

question about the skimmer how you like it?

Im torn between 3 different ones for my 40b; Reef Octopus NWB 150, Bubble Magus NAC-7, or just going big with the AVAST CS1 AVAST

How is yours working out so far?

I actually really like my skimmer, but I know it's not the best, but it's oversized.. for a 125 gallon tank so, it's doing good on my setup. I can do very heavy daily feedings for my Anthias. And plus, I got it used for cheap.

Out of your choices, I'd go with the NAC-7, but for a cone, if I bought new.. I would've gone with a SWC 160 cone for budget, and probably like a Reef Octopus XP1000ss if my wallet allowed.

Minimalist scape FTW! U n me ayo, we bringin it back together!

Pushing the limits, baby! That's what it's all about. I can't keep looking at your thread too often, though.. if I keep it up, I'm gonna end up with an ADA tank in the next few months.. :lol:

Wow, great looking tank. Doing a fantastic job on it. The scape is top notch. Having all that open space is really key. Tagging along for this.

Gracias. Yeah, you really get to enjoy your work of art and with just a few fish, the subtlety of it is tranquil.. like you're sitting in shallow water.

am seriously jealous of that trachy , how big is it ?

It's about 7 - 9" fully expanded.

Got a couple new frags today.. a blue tort and dark greenish/blue acro of some sort.

iPhonePics011.jpg

iPhonePics014.jpg

Slight rescape

iPhonePics012.jpg

11.28.2011 FTS - photoshop "auto color balanced"

11282011FTS.jpg

Clowns in QT atm, orange one got ich or something.. Forest Fire Digitata RTN'd last week, it got hit by my torch and couldn't recover.. =/..

Tested parameters today.. tests came out good.

pH - 8.2 | amm - 0ppm | no2 - 0ppm | no3 - 5ppm | phos. - <0.25ppm | alk - 8dkH | cal. - 500ppm | mag - 1350ppm

Yay stix!

Yeah, I'm addicted to sticks.. :o:huh:

I'm considering the biopellet route later, but reviews keep coming up mixed.. so I don't really know..

Gonna order dosing pumps for dosing ca/alk/mag after the holidays for sure, though.. I'm definitely gonna need it down the road.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the osmolator I just ordered, but one thing I will never put in a computers hands' is the chemical aspect! Lol

I keep it simple, never understood bio pellets.... A little CPE & skimmer...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the osmolator I just ordered, but one thing I will never put in a computers hands' is the chemical aspect! Lol

I keep it simple, never understood bio pellets.... A little CPE & skimmer...

Yeah, it's pretty simple. I just have the AC3, now.. so I want to do the slow drip throughout the day vs a bigger amount daily.. and the amount of time I spend doing unnecessary maintenance on it, I don't find it a problem to have the automation.. because I'm around the tank often enough to know of if anything's not working right.

Thanks, Mitch. This is probably the final scape. I think I finally have it perfect and to my liking. I know where all the different flow zones are, now.

Hey dude, you tryin' to add any torches to this tank? I got a 1 maybe 2 head which has never really done well in my tank. It has a nice green color in the center.

Lemme know if you wanna trade something. You can have it even if you don't lol. I'm starting to get more into SPS. I'll PM you my number. Just text me if you want a pic.

Also, do you have any fragging supplies like a dremel or somethin?

Forgot to say; I'm in North Natomas. A few blocks from Power Balance Pavilion.

Yeah, I'm addicted to sticks.. :o:huh:

I'm considering the biopellet route later, but reviews keep coming up mixed.. so I don't really know..

Gonna order dosing pumps for dosing ca/alk/mag after the holidays for sure, though.. I'm definitely gonna need it down the road.

We all get into sticks eventually.

I was actually ready to start Biopellets a few weeks ago. I had Dr. Tim's pearl BP and an Octopus hang on reactor ready. But, upon installation, I find none of my pumps were strong enough to get the pellets to tumble. Only way was to T off my return, which would cut flow to the display. :blink:

We all get into sticks eventually.

I was actually ready to start Biopellets a few weeks ago. I had Dr. Tim's pearl BP and an Octopus hang on reactor ready. But, upon installation, I find none of my pumps were strong enough to get the pellets to tumble. Only way was to T off my return, which would cut flow to the display. :blink:

Yeah, I'm thinking of either just getting a TLF reactor, diy, or the new CPR reactors that Rehype got. But my buddy uses a BRS one and says it works fine. So, there's more options.. haha.. cutting flow to the display from my return would be fine, but I'd rather have full flow going..

Hey dude, you tryin' to add any torches to this tank? I got a 1 maybe 2 head which has never really done well in my tank. It has a nice green color in the center.

Lemme know if you wanna trade something. You can have it even if you don't lol. I'm starting to get more into SPS. I'll PM you my number. Just text me if you want a pic.

Also, do you have any fragging supplies like a dremel or somethin?

Forgot to say; I'm in North Natomas. A few blocks from Power Balance Pavilion.

Sorry, bro.. I've actually got a torch colony that I'm not sure if I'll be keeping at the moment.. and a Todd's Torch frag already.. My tank will be SPS dominate with few others.. -_-

Archived