Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ayobreezie's 40 gallon tank thread, simplified

ayobreezie

video updates

current fts - 03.03.2012photoshop "auto color balanced"

03032012FTS.jpg

latest parameters - 11.28.2011

pH - 8.2 | amm - 0ppm | no2 - 0ppm | no3 - 5ppm | phos. - <0.25ppm | alk - 8dkH | cal. - 500ppm | mag - 1350ppm

Tank

AGA 40 Breeder, drilled bulkhead overflow

AGA 20 Gal Long sump/fuge

Equipment

Eheim 1260

Vortech MP10W ES - temporarily out of order, using my watermixing pumps

Eheim Jager 150W heater

Precision Marine RL125 skimmer

Eheim Jager 100W heater

Neptune Systems Aquacontroller 3

Lighting

Coralife Aqualight Pro - 2 x 150W MH (Radiums), 2 x 96W PC Actinics, 4 x LED Moonlights

Livestock

1 x Maroon Clownfish

1 x Lawnmower Blenny

1 x Yellow Tang

1 x Melanarus Wrasse

1 x Orange Spotted Diamond Goby

1 x Twin Spot Goby

Inverts

2 x Rose BTA

1 x Crocea Clam

1 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Variety of snails/hermits for CUC - Tongan Nassarius Snails, Nassarius Vibex, Dwarf Ceriths, Ceriths, Nerites, Astreas, Turbo, Scarlet hermits and regular hermits

Corals

Green Star Polyps

Open Brain Coral

Orange Tip Purple Torch Coral

Neon Green Torch Coral

Various Zoas/Palys - Wam'n Watermelon, Blow Pops, Devil's Armor, Japanese Deep Water.

Candy Canes/Trumpet Coral

Frogspawn

Purple Birdsnest

ORA Birds of Paradise

Blue Tenius Acropora

Blue Acropora

Blue Stag Acropora

Tricolor Acropora

Green Acropora

Pink Monti Cap

Pink Millepora

Pink Millepora w/ glow tip polyps

Cranberry Poritidae

Various Acans

Orange Ricordea

Timeline

08.20.2011 - Start.

IMG_1382.jpg

10.21.2011 w/ AI Nano

fts.jpg

11282011FTS.jpg

12012011fts-1.jpg

12272011FTS.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, three lights in six weeks! Tank looks great now though, is that a hammer dominating the final pic? As much of a fan of hammers as I am ... that's taking up some serious real estate in there =0)

Awesome tank and I love your caption "wish I thought this through".

Lol, yeah, I learn most from hands-on experience.. but if I thought this through, it would definitely have a bigger footprint.

Wow, three lights in six weeks! Tank looks great now though, is that a hammer dominating the final pic? As much of a fan of hammers as I am ... that's taking up some serious real estate in there =0)

Yeah, I found out reefing is like the cocaine of the aquarium hobby. It's actually a huge Torch coral, I got the colony for a better deal than if they sold it by the head.. there's like 15 heads on it.. will definitely be fragging it out soon.

teamschreiba

Glad I could help provide you some inspiration!! The last FTS looks great especially with the AI Nano. Do you have any ideas for your stocking plans?

Glad I could help provide you some inspiration!! The last FTS looks great especially with the AI Nano. Do you have any ideas for your stocking plans?

Thanks a lot, schreiba. Hopefully will look as nice as yours when I upgrade to a shallow rimless later..

Stocking fish-wise, I think I'm pretty set. 2 clowns, tailspot blenny, cuc should be sufficient. I may either get a Springeri or Orchid Dottyback in the future. Coral wise, very minor SPS to provide somewhat of a background, with LPS/softs in the foreground.

Love the sump... Did you put baffles in it?

Lol, I've actually got live rock in there positioned to reduce flow/micro bubbles. They basically act as baffles kind of. Didn't want to install baffles on a temporary sump. But no bubbles, though. Chaeto's growing. Dead silent setup. Chemi-pure sits between one set of rocks, and overflow runs water down the wall of the bucket and goes into the chemi-pure and the rest of the rocks in the sump. Definitely better than no sump, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Your tank looks great. So clean too.

Thanks.. I wipe the glass for hours a night after I get home from school/work.. lol.

I've been debating on how to change my setup.. I know I'm going to eventually drill it out, whenever I feel like emptying the tank for a day..

Should I paint a black background? White background? Or leave it clear?

Luv the sump :ninja:

Lol, sump of the year award should go to me.

Slick lookin' cube. Nice to see another Sac reefer.

Thanks, man. Would love to trade frags some time in the future.

Nice job! I like the minimal rock scape in there.

Where did u get that tank?

Thanks, I bought the tank at Aquarium Depot when they had the Starphire cubes.. looks great, but I wish I would've gotten it drilled the day I bought it.

Added a couple mille's.. moved the torch and frogspawn to the right under the trumpets.. right above it is my sps island.. on the left is my zoas, one ricordea, gsp's, and a new monti cap in the back.. (got it from tyty) So far so good.. parameters all good.. amm. - 0, nitrites - 0, nitrates - <.5ppm, phos. 0, cal - 500, alk - 9, mag - 1250.. Want another fish, but I don't think I should unless I get a skimmer.. I'm happy with what I've got anyways.. weekly water changes, daily topoffs.. keeps everything pretty good.

IMG_3730.jpg

Tail Spot Blenny.. finally out for a picture.. in the SPS garden..

IMG_3188.jpg

View from the left side..

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

Latest edition, Crocea clam added on 10.25.2011

So far so good.. Everything's happy.. Only one acro that hasn't been doing too well.. I think.. Either bleaching or some type of necrosis.. Polyps never extended since I've had it, but it has been growing.. Just moved it recently and started turning white.. Did that the first week, but gained color back after a week. Hoping for the same outcome..

Everything else is doing great, growth all over.. Gonna try to upgrade to a 40b this weekend.. and turn this cube into a display fuge that drains into the 40b.

The 40b is still temporary, but at least it's more room than a cube.

• 2 weeks later...

11.9.2011 update. New tank. Everything transferred.. No losses so far.

IMG_6989.jpg

40B drilled with 1.5" drain and 3/4" return.

20L sump

TEK 6 bulb T5s(2 Fiji purple, 2 actinics, 1 12k, 1 6.5k)

Mag 7 return

American DJ PC100/A

Archived