ParticipationTrophyWife

breaking up LR from est. tank

ParticipationTrophyWife

Hi-

My LR is basically in two big pieces. I want to leave the tallest piece, then break up the other piece into smaller ones and glue them around it.

First of all, what's the best way to smash LR? Will a hammer do it? It doesn't look hard to break.

Second, can I smash it up and put it back into the established tank, or does it need to cycle again?

Thanks to everyone,

Tasha

MKramer

Hammer and a chissel. The stuff breaks extremely easily, since it's so porous.

I'd give it a good rinse with saltwater before putting it back, since it's going to have a lot of debris from the breakage. But aside from that, it can go right back in. You won't have killed anything significant, or exposed any already-dead organic matter by breaking it.

Matthew

lizbeth

I've used a hammer. I put it into a box first because sometimes little pieces shoot off. It doesn't always break where I want it to even if I use a chissel.

ParticipationTrophyWife

Thanks guys. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to do but it helps to hear from others who have done it. The box idea is a good suggestion.

Tasha