Cultivated Reef

My Current Blastomussa Collection

ParanoidObseshun

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ParanoidObseshun

Thanks guys! Yeah thats 28 different color varieties, between wellsi and merletti. I am running a dual 39W T5HO unit. ATI bulbs.

Here is a picture of that last colony starting to settle into the tank nicely.

IMG_0087-1.jpg

Here is a FTS.

IMG_0080.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
ParanoidObseshun

Well I havent picked up any new Blastos since the last post in the beginning of December. But I should be getting a few more color morphs in next week. Will post some pictures when I get them

do you ever frag any of your blastos? I never see any of these color morphs anywhere in my area. If you do ever frag them I would love to buy some. This is the nicest blasto collection I have ever seen.

ParanoidObseshun

No I have never fragged any of my blastos. Most of them are encrusting and grow close together. Without having the proper tools I dont see myself cutting them for a long time.

ParanoidObseshun

Got 5 more morphs today. 4 wellsi 1 merletti. Here are pictures of 3 of them, the rest need to inflate still as I got them today. I think so far I am at 33 different color morphs.

Cool Merlettis with a teal center, neon green outsides, and then purple skirts.

IMG_0229.jpg

Nice pink skirts with kryptonite green centers.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0228-1.jpg

ParanoidObseshun

Picture of the 4th out of the 5th colony.

IMG_0257.jpg

Next colony is still getting settled. Definitely a nice piece though.

$5-20 per head eh? Are most of those grown our or did you buy them as larger colonies (not the ones you just got in, obviously :P)

Also, where are you getting these? And do they like the shade by any chance?

ParanoidObseshun

There are only a few that actually grew out quite a bit. Some merlettis went from 4-10 heads and are now around 15-30+. As far as the wellsi go, some have grown 5+ heads while most only grew a few new heads, but nothing to crazy.

I find a lot of them online. Mostly sponsors on different forums. I mostly have them on the sandbed and some under a little bit of shade and they do alright.

ParanoidObseshun

Here is a better picture of 2 of the blastos I got. Hard to get a good picture. The orange with yellow ring isnt doing so hot since being shipped. The big polyp in the center isnt going to make it but hoping for the other 4.

374738_278976965490448_100001344395766_737409_264546150_n.jpg

Wow these are incredible. I like the look of blastos, but the only ones I ever see for sale are the green and red ones. Guess I need to look harder.

Really beautiful tank, btw. Thanks for sharing.

Oh my god I love blasto's lol I so want to start a garden and give up on my acan garden haha..I've got 7 diff acans and don't wanna bother getting anymore...I just want blastos blastos blastos...but the morphs are so hard to find, where are you finding yours man?

Oh my god I love blasto's lol I so want to start a garden and give up on my acan garden haha..I've got 7 diff acans and don't wanna bother getting anymore...I just want blastos blastos blastos...but the morphs are so hard to find, where are you finding yours man?

I agree. Wheeerree did you get these? Blastos are one of my favorites but I had no idea there were so many morphs. I've never seen most of those!

Here are the blastos I currently have. They are all now in my 20L AIO tank.

My first blasto. A merletti from Petco.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0016-1.jpg

I'm going to be looking at my local Petco. Usually their stuff sucks but I'll keep an eye out since they apparently sell awesome stuff occasionally.

I want that second one :o

Great collection and a unique species to collect. I've seen lots of Acan, SPS and Zoa collections but this is the first one focused on Blastos. Nice!

ParanoidObseshun

Thanks guys! I do a lot of hunting online to find the uncommon blastos. Still hoping to add some more soon, just need to rearrange some rock and get rid of some other corals to make up the needed space lol.

pffft get in line buddy i want a frag of everything you have haha jk jk...but in all honesty if you fraged a single head off every one...I would buy every one of those frags for the price you name haha

ParanoidObseshun

Haha. I have the diamond cutoff wheels for my dremel, but not the courage to risk slicing into them haha. Maybe one day I will. I am waiting for some of them to start growing new heads.

well you let me know...when, I got about 500 set aside for when I finally find a blasto supplier w/ about 20-30 morphs ;) lol no jokes

If you want them to start growing you should really look-up eric borneman. He has some pretty good fragging tips on getting things to grow. IME blasto's don't really grow very well because they never seem to encrust the rocks i put them on, they just improve on their own skeleton, which takes forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived