Cultivated Reef

45g Long and Shallow

snookman03

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That tank has almost perfect dimensions! I want one!

Thanks Jacob,

I was torn in the LFS before choosing this tank because they also had a 30 gal rimless shallow cube. In the end I am so happy I chose the 45 long. The length and depth of this tank make me feel like I have upgraded to a 200gal LOL, I am used to the small dimensions of my 5.5gal and a 28 nano cube. I am also happy that I will have alot of open space and lots of open sandbed.

Today I made about 25gal of Rodi in about 10hrs. I will be ordering a boost pump this week. Found a solution for hanging my canopy will post pics soon. Tomorrow I am going to finish the trim work on the stand, scape the tank then start to fill it up,

Well the stan is in place and ready to go! just mixed 30gal of saltwater. I like the scape but im sure ill change it again.

Just tried to order a boost pump for my rodi but BRS is out of stock. Sorry for the bad pics my digital camera is still in storage. Getting closer...

2012-01-23072733.jpg

2012-01-22163644.jpg

2012-01-23072549.jpg

2012-01-22172826.jpg

2012-01-23072606.jpg

2012-01-23072643.jpg

stunning shots .... very well done!!

Thanks bear. I still have a little trimwork to do. This weekend i will finish filling the tank with saltwater and hanging the light canopy which i still have to wire. So far i am very happy how this thing has come together. As for fish i am trading my pair of black clowns n the coral beauty. After the tank cycles i will take my clown out of the 5.5 and add him to this tank. Thanks for looking

Let the cycle begin!!! Tonight I got the live sand and some salt water in the tank FINALLY! The tank is filled about an Inch below the rim. Ill run the Rodi all night and hopefully I will have plenty of water when I wake up. Don't have to work till 11 tomorrow so I'm going to work on the tank in the am.

Thanks mini. I need to quiet this setup down alot. The durso is very loud and is so annoying. Since the tank is in the living room it needs to be as quiet as possible. The mag 7 is making vibrating noises like crazy even though i put some foam under it. My overflow is bubbling like crazy too. Then to top it off i bought the sugar fine sand and didnt realize it until i opened both bags!!! I need to replace it with some different sand asap. Should i put the live sand i have now in the fuge?

altolamprologus

Holy crap dude I don't think I've ever seen a 45 long. Great choice though! If I had the room I would definitely set one up.

So I didn't realize I bought the wrong "live" bagged sand until already had it in the tank and filled it with water. The sand was too fine and the return was making sand dunes and creating a bare bottom tank lol. Today I scooped most of the sand and added it to the fugue. I picked up some Arag alive Bimini pink which I think is the best choice.

Next I added a piece of filter pad under the mag 7 and the noise was cut in half. I also put a piece of filter pad in the overflow to cut down on the trickle noise. The only issue I have to deal with is the bubbling noise of the overflow into the sump. I'll snap some pics soon.

wow this tank is great. The stand looks great and so does that kitchen!

Could it be possible that your return pump is noisy more so because its hard line plumbed together with pvc? The vibrations from the pump might be amplified through the rest of the return pipes. If that seems to be the case you could trying running vinyl tubing from the pump to the return pipe with some barbed pvc fittings to absorb the vibrations.

Does your overflow in the sump drain on top of the water level of the sump or underneath it?

Thanks tyty,

I totally agree with your thought on the PVC return. I will get some tubing this weekend...hopefully it will quiet it down a little. The drain pipe is about 2-3pm below the water level in the sump, thanks again for your help.

Jacob, I hope it does turn out amazing lol. Thanks.

Bwoodward,

I know I'm slacking with taking updated pics...the tank has been wet for a week :lol:

Is this thing still not cycling? You're killing me, Smalls.

I have the Bimini sand, it's nice, but still pretty fine. I'd still be concerned about sand dunes.

I cant stand seeing this with no pictures!

Lol I know, we just moved into our new house and still have a ton of stuff in storage and my camera is buried somewhere in the storage unit lol. I will take pics on my phone but I barely have cell phone signal at my house so I can't upload the pics to photo bucket :angry:

Is this thing still not cycling? You're killing me, Smalls.

I have the Bimini sand, it's nice, but still pretty fine. I'd still be concerned about sand dunes.

Lol it is cycling as we speak. The Bimini is fine but the large chunks of pink shells seem to hold it together and looks great!

Look what I picked up today at my lfs all 4 for $40. I threw them in the neglected nano cube for the mean time

2012-02-02191910.jpg

I know, isn't it a great sand? Really natural consistency. You'll like it when the larger chunks start to take on the live rock color as they get colonized with bacteria. Adds a nice contrast to the sandbed.

I can't wait to see the rapid led bulbs over it either. I built the canopy already, I just need to figure out the placement of the bulbs and wire them up. I did screw a bulb into a worklight and I have to say I love the color.

I did make some progress on the noise of the mag 7. I took some advice and added a short piece of flexible tubing to the pve return and it quieted it right down.

I tried messing around with the noisy drain but said F it I'll work on it tomorrow, it is so frustrating!!,

glad to hear the return quieted down. I'm not sure about your problems with the overflow into the sump. In my setup I have a roughly 5inch piece of pvc that goes from a 45-elbow into a filter sock and goes an inch or two under the water level in the sump and i have no problems with noise. Now from what i understand this sounds similar to your configuration???

Archived