Cultivated Reef

45g Long and Shallow

snookman03

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick, next time I take some pics I will turn on the t5s. Since the t5s are close to the par bulbs they heat them up pretty good.

Jacob, any secrets to growing them?

Sweeeeeet. :)

LOL thanks for the great comments! :lol:

Hopefully I have time to go to the LFS this weekend, I really have the itch to get something cool.

Jacob042426

The trick is to spray them with Rodi in a spray bottle. Mangroves are really freshwater with a saltwater resistance, so by spraying them you simulate rain by washing the salt off. Also, put in a place where there is a good amount of flow. My mangrove in front of my ac70 intake is growing like mad.

Good luck with them!

We need pics!

The trick is to spray them with Rodi in a spray bottle. Mangroves are really freshwater with a saltwater resistance, so by spraying them you simulate rain by washing the salt off. Also, put in a place where there is a good amount of flow. My mangrove in front of my ac70 intake is growing like mad.

Good luck with them!

We need pics!

Thanks for the info Jacob I will get a spray bottle tomorrow :)

Thanks for the info Jacob I will get a spray bottle tomorrow :)

+1 to daily spraying. Each of mine get 10 sprays a day. They expectorate the salt through their leaves like Jacob said, they will grow without spraying but it keeps them looking nice and healthy.

The only other tip is don't mess with them, especially the roots. Once you place them don't move them and they should treat you well.

More pictures please.

Jacob042426

I have a mangrove that grew too much fast, that its roots pushed it out of the sand and won't stay. I put it in my ac70 and added 2 more, making a total of 7 groves, 5 in the display. :)

Thanks for the mangrove care tips...I got a pod on the boat once, the damn thing never sprouted. I picked these up at the lfs for $10 each, I thought that was pretty cheap.

Wow, $10?!

I collected all of mine and they all sprouted!

I paid almost $20 a piece for mine. But you can imagine the supply or demand here is nonexistent.

Jacob042426
I paid almost $20 a piece for mine. But you can imagine the supply or demand here is nonexistent.

What about reefcleaners? They are like a dollar a piece there!

What about reefcleaners? They are like a dollar a piece there!

Because I attempted to do business with him and he didn't return my emails. I have nothing against reef cleaners and I think they do good work, but I believe that I should never have to work hard to give someone my money.

Sorry, snookman, I don't want to derail your thread. If you want I'll delete this! :)

subscribing :) .. saw this tank the other day at my LFS and was so tempted to get one because of the foot print. maybe later on when i run out of room on my current setup haha.

jedimasterben
Because I attempted to do business with him and he didn't return my emails. I have nothing against reef cleaners and I think they do good work, but I believe that I should never have to work hard to give someone my money.

Sorry, snookman, I don't want to derail your thread. If you want I'll delete this! :)

Really? Wow, never heard of that. May have slipped through the cracks somewhere. Definitely give him a second chance, John is wonderful.

And yes, enough derailing. :P

We need more pics!!

No worries Joel, I ordered from him in the past and everything was great.

CH, I would just get it now lol you won't regret it!

Thanks jedi, pics will come soon.

altolamprologus

Just a suggestion: you should put an updated FTS on the first page. People are more likely to be drawn in if they don't have to go hunting for pics :)

Just a suggestion: you should put an updated FTS on the first page. People are more likely to be drawn in if they don't have to go hunting for pics :)

Yea I know...I just started a new job last month and still working on my house so this thread has been put on the back burner lol. Once I really start to stock this thing and find my digital camera I will upload a ton of pics. As always thanks for looking

Archived